Should we bring a trailer and atv/utv?

bz_711

WKR
I agree with what many have said...worth taking.
We have never brought one...but this past season was the first time I said it would sure be nice (really don't see any 4-wheelers, but everyone seems to have a side-by-side in CO)
As mentioned, it's not for the trails, it's for the 4x4 roads. My poor suburban gets the hell beat out of it every year, and we had some flat out scary moments this year where I didn't know if we'd even be able to turn around on the mountainside once we ran into 12+" boulders I could no longer get over. Back in IL I've been asked many time if my suburban has been "keyed" as the pine and willow branches have ruined the sides of my vehicle (roads are very narrow and often require mirrors to be put in and a spotter outside of car). We always get to our destination...but it's so SLOW in full size vehicle where an ATV could motor along a little more quickly.

All that being said, I only own a 2x4 Gator so don't think I'll be trailering an ATV anytime soon...

Good luck whatever you decide.

rbljack

WKR
Bringing this one back to the top. Considering my first trip to Colorado in 2018 for ELK OTC if I don't get drawn in NM. My follow on question to this post is related. I have the atv, my question is this: trailer or carry in the bed of the truck? Are you able to get back in there pulling a small utility trailer or enclosed trailer to set up base camp and use the ATV from there? Seems that would work better from a "logistics" point of view, so you have plenty of room for gear in the truck. I have a 8x14 enclosed trailer that is set up for motorcross and has the ac/heater in the roof, but my fear is that it would get damaged. Low ground clearance, and high profile with the AC unit on top.

My plan at the moment is to take a scout trip out that way maybe and see what the conditions would be like in the areas I choose to hunt on the map. Its tough planning for a hunt to a place you have never set foot on before. Its the hardest thing for me actually. Hunting in WY, ID, and NM, I have always been able to find spots and drive a few hours to check things out BEFORE the hunt. With Colorado, its 10-15 hrs away...so it changes the game a lot. Maybe a summer ATV/camp trip is the answer!

I think that will depend on where you go in Colorado. I suggest you figure out where you want to go, then call the ranger district and ask about the road conditions.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
This year we went with a 12' enclosed trailer, towed by 2500HD 4x4 and I couldn't get as far back as intended due to the mudholes.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted in NM for archery elk.
The unit we were in had very rough roads.
I put over 100 miles on a 4 wheeler just getting to where I wanted to "start" scouting and hunting on my boots.

R

A couple friends and myself are planning our first elk hunt in southwestern Colorado. We have a couple areas picked out already and few of them do have atv trails. My question is, is it worth hauling a trailer from south Louisiana? My plan has always been to load up the truck and head out, and best case scenario we all tag out and have to rent a uhaul to bring the meat home. But it seems that having the trailer as a base camp and having an atv there just in case may not be a bad idea. Opinions please?. Almost forgot, this will be archery hunt.

I wouldn’t bring it. Couple of thoughts.

Anywhere you can get on an ATV, so can others. ATVs sound great to a LOT of people because they seem ‘easy’. The only way you are going to get away from people (if that’s your goal) is on foot. Sure you can walk 4 miles from where you park it. So can others. Walk 8 miles and stay back there.

The biggest negative to me? You have to go back to where you parked it. If you park the truck and ride 4 miles then walk 4 miles, you gotta end up back at the 4 wheeler at the end of the day. (I’m assuming you aren’t backpacking in.) if you get back there and don’t have to go back to an ATV that evening, your options are a less limited.

George

Lil-Rokslider
In my area around Pagosa UTVs aren't legal on the ATV trails which makes my UTV about useless for anything but pushing snow out of the driveway.

G

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion it depends how many guys are going. If there are more then 2 the two atv's is the way to go. Two atv's can haul four guys in two different directions most utv's can haul two in one direction. It's a no brainer. Bring them.

cgasner1

WKR
I would take the trailer so you have room for a chest freezer long drive back when you get one you’ll be glad you are able to freeze him up till you get home and not have to worry about meat loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk