What should I be doing different?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
In Colorado GMU 71 (near Dolores) on my first elk hunt (2nd rifle). I've been glassing mornings and evenings, and still hunting during mid day. 4 days in and I haven't seen one single animal. Not one.

Is this a common thing? Obviously hunting is not a guarantee, but I would think I would have seen something by now, even a cow.

It doesn't look like any of the other hunters around me are having much luck either.

I've tried getting away from people to where I think elk might have been pushed. Down into some deep dark canyons. Up to 11k ft. Away from roads. Nothing has worked so far. I'm thinking they just aren't here. Or they're way better at hide and seek than I am.

What should I be changing? I dont want to keep doing the same thing for the remainder of my time if it's not going to produce. Should I be making a big move to another part of the unit? Keep on keeping on? Is it entirely possible they aren't even here? I'm an east coast whitetail guy, but I also realize that elk aren't whitetail.

Help a newb!

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing some. Lots of turds and tracks. Hard to tell how fresh it is. Doesn't look that old to me, but I'm nowhere near an expert on scat.

Come into any areas heavy with the smell of Elk? Tracks are easy to tell if fresh, a herd of Elk will tear the ground up. Finding any fresh beds? Esp with a big urine stain? Fresh?

Swede

WKR
Really fresh elk scat is greenish brown and moist. If you are an experienced Whitetail hunter you know fresh tracks are sharp and crisp imprints in the dirt or mud. Do you have some large very ugly dense brush fields in your hunting area? I would very carefully check them out. Elk can use them as a defense against most predators, especially hunters. Watch the wind, move slowly and stay quiet.

I'd probably be moving. If you really are out every day at first and last light, then you should be seeing some in 4 days time. I agree on the fresh sign question. But it's gotta be a day old max to matter.

hobbes

WKR
How much area are you able to cover while glassing? While hunting? Elk are scattered in big country unlike whitetails that are relatively evenly dispersed in small woodlots and fencerows generally speaking.

If you are glassing the same country each morning and evening and arent seeing elk, Id make some sort of move. If you are covering a small area, think bigger. A square mile is big back East. Thefe are a lot of square miles in the mountains with no elk. Fresh sign is fresh sign, you will know it when you see it and smell it.