Strange Observation in Idaho

I skipped the last 4 pages because I probably couldn't stomach it.
I paid $1600 to your state this year and I took home an elk, how much more do you want me to pay, please give me a number.

Also "How good we HAD it..."
We were in the salmon zone, not too far from main roads and seeing bulls every day...we didn't buy elk tags because we figured that we'd leave your elk to you...why did you not come and get them?

Well said. I didn't see many resident hunters where I was hunting elk this year. During the deer season most didn't leave their side by sides or dirtbikes. Their loss, at times.

Well said. I didn't see many resident hunters where I was hunting elk this year. During the deer season most didn't leave their side by sides or dirtbikes. Their loss, at times.

This thread was scaring me because I was last in Idaho in 2015 and 2016 and plan to return next year. The area I was in previously was loaded with elk and I had one giant area to myself but I failed to take advantage of it because I would hike from a base camp everyday and needed to backpack hunt a little further.

The reason I joined this board is to become a backpack hunter, as it's been a goal of mine for a while now. But you are right, a lot of hunters rarely get on their feet and hike around. So we have that goin for us....

This thread was scaring me because I was last in Idaho in 2015 and 2016 and plan to return next year. The area I was in previously was loaded with elk and I had one giant area to myself but I failed to take advantage of it because I would hike from a base camp everyday and needed to backpack hunt a little further.

The reason I joined this board is to become a backpack hunter, as it's been a goal of mine for a while now. But you are right, a lot of hunters rarely get on their feet and hike around. So we have that goin for us....

Yup, many hunters aren't willing to employ new tactics when more people are in the area. That's everywhere though. It's a changing landscape for sure. It will be interesting to see what steps IDFG takes.

Aculous

FNG
I can see how you took my post as referencing the hunting license costs there but it was directed at the land.
do most not charge a trespass fee? did you pay one? did you fill your tag?

Sorry didn't see this. And no not really, all the places I looked at to hunt which were in and around Spotsy county and a couple places out in the blue ridge you called them up and they either allowed hunting or not. I was never charged anything. I only hunted once out there, but friends from work that got me into it filled their tags every year. VA has a big issue with whitetails, most because theres less and less hunters. I would bet more people kill deer with their cars then are killed by hunters every year.

Steel4sam

FNG
Interesting, I also made an observation in Idaho, and if we are going to be making broad generalizations maybe you should spend some time preaching to your own “statesmen” you see, this year in Idaho we found two shot and lost bulls. After talking with the IDFG warden he shared with me that he is investigating a group of locals who left as many as 10 bulls in the woods to waste this year, hmmm to me it doesn’t sound like guys like myself are the issue. Quit crying on forums and get to work! I’m so tired of dudes bitching about how things are “ruined for them.” I hiked 65 miles during my hunt, know how many hunters I saw? Zero...everyone including residents in the area told me, get 1/2 mile from the road and you’ll cut 50% of Idaho hunters out as they just road hunt. I encourage anyone and everyone to go and enjoy OUR public lands. That’s exactly what it’s there for.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I also made an observation in Idaho, and if we are going to be making broad generalizations maybe you should spend some time preaching to your own “statesmen” you see, this year in Idaho we found two shot and lost bulls. After talking with the IDFG warden he shared with me that he is investigating a group of locals who left as many as 10 bulls in the woods to waste this year, hmmm to me it doesn’t sound like guys like myself are the issue. Quit crying on forums and get to work! I’m so tired of dudes bitching about how things are “ruined for them.” I hiked 65 miles during my hunt, know how many hunters I saw? Zero...everyone including residents in the area told me, get 1/2 mile from the road and you’ll cut 50% of Idaho hunters out as they just road hunt. I encourage anyone and everyone to go and enjoy OUR public lands. That’s exactly what it’s there for.
I have hunted Idaho my entire life and have found only a few lost bulls. You call it bitching bro I call it an out of state invasion. Your saying a couple Idaho guys are being turds so that mitigates a real issue. Which is over crowding due to jacked up draw sytems in Utah, California, Washington, and Oregon? I dont see a bunch Wyoming, Arizona, and Colorado guys hammering Idaho. Just because you saw no one where you were hunting does not mean its not a problem. Also I dont hunt roads and some places I see no one. But there is overcrowding and it is a problem when some units including mine get ran over with a bunch of zealous Joe Rogan podcast fired up yahoos. I am also now a non res Idaho hunter for 7 years now but was born and hunted there from 12 to now 38. I am fine with them upping tag costs and changing things to cut down on the back country instgram warriors so the hunting quality is better. No one wants to get rid of the non res we all just want some peace in the hills and an opportunity. Also none of my born and bred Idaho buds hunt from quads and roads so this stereo type that your throwing on the residents who's state you visit and spots you take is BS as well. There are road hunters in every state not just Idaho.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Steel4sam

FNG
First, I was merely stating a fact that I witnessed first hand. The reality is this. We are all hunters. I don’t hunt Idaho because my state is jacked up, I killed a great OTC archery bull in my own state this year. I hunted it because I wanted more adventure and didn’t feel done. I’m sorry though, is public land, just like the area I hunt in my home state. Year in and year out I see out of state plates, usually Washington, and sometimes they even interfere with my hunt. Guess what? That’s otc hunting, if I wanted a different experience I would apply for LE units and sit out years that I don’t draw. I’m unwilling to do that, so with a smile on my face I enjoy every single bit of it knowing that we are the luckiest people on the planet. We have millions of acres of public land at our finger tips full of critters to chase. Best of luck. I’ll be back, again and again. I’ll treat our public land and our game with the same respect as I expect everyone else to do.

I have been biting my tongue on this one for a while. No more. With all due respect, anyone complaining about out of state hunters ruining their hunt can go fly a kite and pick wild flowers. Your argument is absurd. We as hunters are so few in number versus the at large population that we need to support those that bring resources to state wildlife budgets. Lock out out of state hunters and see how long it lasts. Short term might be great but you will be mortgaging the future from young hunters. Maybe you don't care about that but that is very important to me. Now quit your complaining online and go scout some new public land. Somewhere you will have the advantage because as a local you will know if in and out. Shoot straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For give me if this has already been brought up but as with some others I have skipped the other pages. I understand the frustration some residents may have with noticing an influx of non-residence but correct me if I am wrong doesn't the state allocate a specific amount of non-resident tags? So regardless of if non-residence license/tag prices go up there is still the potential of having X amount of non-residence hunt in a state. Increasing fees wouldn't significantly reduce non-resident hunters.

Clarktar

WKR
Yes it was over run with people who are from out of state. I am really torn on this one to be honest. They are hunting Idaho because the regs and opportunities in their own states are bad. So they are coming here and making it less enjoyable for the residents who fund the state treasury.

This will come off as very ranty but so be it. Personally I think Idaho should charge an additional tax on Elk/Mule deer tags to all out of state residents who who's home states have elk/mule deer. This wouldn't impact the majority of folks out east but would hopefully slow down the CA/WA/OR crowd. Ideally I would make this tag hurt quite a bit, like $500-$1000. This would hopefully call attention the the poor management of the home states. It isn't like as an ID resident I am going to have a great opportunity to hunt OR/WA/CA.
Good idea. I hope WA takes the same approach with salmon and steelhead fishing, marine and freshwater.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
For give me if this has already been brought up but as with some others I have skipped the other pages. I understand the frustration some residents may have with noticing an influx of non-residence but correct me if I am wrong doesn't the state allocate a specific amount of non-resident tags? So regardless of if non-residence license/tag prices go up there is still the potential of having X amount of non-residence hunt in a state. Increasing fees wouldn't significantly reduce non-resident hunters.

The zone where I live is OTC, as many as F&G can sell,no limit!

The zone where I live is OTC, as many as F&G can sell,no limit!

That's not correct. Per IDFG website:

"Nonresident, general-season tags are limited to 15,500 for deer and 12,815 for elk. These tags are sold over the counter and are reserved for nonresidents through July 31. That allotment has a few held back for outfitters, as well.
On August 1, all remaining nonresident tags (including the outfitter set-aside) are available to residents and nonresidents as second tags. They are sold at nonresident prices unless discounted by the Fish and Game commission."

Ryan2782

FNG
Here's information, Out of State Elk tags and General deer tags are SOLD OUT for non-residents for 2017

Nonresident elk tags sold out for 2017, deer selling fast | Idaho Fish and Game

Out of state hunters, my opinion, this was predicted for this year. If they do not predict or see heavy sales for archery season they offer residents a second tag at $100 discount (normally have to pay full NR price). This year they did not discount sighting earlier they were anticipating selling out. With some people obviously not getting a tag because they are no sold out, even though I don't see that being a lot of people because it's late in the year already. With this news, it might spur faster sales next year and sell out faster because of fear of not getting a tag.

Swede

WKR
If you got rid of all the Out of State hunters could you get an elk then, or would you need to get rid of everyone from outside of the County you live in? Maybe you would need a longer season or IF&G to keep one on a leash for you. From what I saw you have no crowding issues. None. You just need to get off the road.

Ryan2782

FNG
Maybe you would need a longer season or IF&G to keep one on a leash for you.

As long as you are asking, sure a leash please. If possible uphill from where the tailgate will back into the side of the hill.

Thanks!