Strange Observation in Idaho

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not aware of the F&G requiring any access at all for a farming operation to be eligible for crop depredation reimbursement. I've spoken with several hay growers in my area that receive payments that do not allow any public access at all.

The state code has language in it that requires reasonable access, but again, reasonable access is not defined well enough, so if a landowner allows any hunting whatsoever (even if it's just his buddies), F&G is directed to pay it out. You're right though. It realistically amounts to no access by any layman's appraisal.

Randle

WKR
THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE RIGHT NOW!!! be pro-active and attend the mtgs and do the online surveys R and NR alike. I'm highly opposed to the F&G issuing asinine amounts of cow tags/depredation permits(more this year than years past) to wipe out herds and get elk within their(rancher influenced) objectives. they need to take their farms the hell on out of elk country or just deal with the crop damage.

Sure just up and sell the family ground because elk are damaging crops. That just makes no sense. The real problem is people are buying 40 acres next farms and ranches. Then not allowing hunting because they like see game on their little "ranch". Now you have a sanctuary next to a family farm and the elk move from non hunted property and Wipeout crops

If you only farm 40 acres, you are not eligible for depredation payments. I believe it's somewhere around 300 acres and then only if other criteria are met. Small hobby farmers aren't the problem.

Randle

WKR
That isn't my point . They buy property next to the big farms . Then don't allow hunting. Now the elk have a safe haven .

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do you have any info with hard numbers that could enlighten us as to how many residents are purchasing NR tags compared to NR's purchasing NR tags? I'm genuinely interested in that data, not trying to fight. I've tried to find that data on several occasions and been unsuccessful.
I think you'd have to place a bunch of calls to F&G to get those figures. Be interesting to see. There's a thread in the mule deer section where one of the Idaho guys killed two bucks, so it's happening, just not sure to what extent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Agreed 100%! I figured I'd read here and find Sneaky whining about something Idaho-related. I honestly don't know a 'road hunter' here in Idaho although they do exist, I've seen ID plates. Most I see are from surrounding states, particularly Washington.

I know one thing, henceforth I'll be much more proactive with state regs and changes that I can influence.
And we've never bought second deer tags, but wife and I will be purchasing two for next Fall. If we fill them fine, if not, it will help with the state coffers and keep the resource here.
Lol. I'm not whining about anything Idaho related. Figured to see you here soon enough. Other than property taxes I probably spend more in other tax revenue in the state of Idaho than a lot of residents through work, travel expenses, etc. Hunting related expenses are pretty low on that list. But, that entitles me to a thought on it, no different than yours. If you have any concerns with me feel free to PM me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BullElk

FNG
Sure just up and sell the family ground because elk are damaging crops. That just makes no sense. The real problem is people are buying 40 acres next farms and ranches. Then not allowing hunting because they like see game on their little "ranch". Now you have a sanctuary next to a family farm and the elk move from non hunted property and Wipeout crops

you're right it doesn't make sense. just like it doesn't make sense to offer depredation permits along with an entirely new season allowing the harvest of 200 cows in addition to that when the herd populations are on the rebound but there is farmers complaining about crop damage.

with that decision they set some areas back...

I have placed those phone calls. Several times I've been asked to call back when a different person is available, or told to call a different office (which I did). I still have never been able to put any hard numbers with the question.
That being said, I could care less if Idaho residents are purchasing NR tags. I do it every year. I'm just curious how many are doing it, because you can't figure out how many NR are truly hunting Idaho without subtracting the resident - purchased NR tags from the grand total.

Rizzy

WKR
With the way the boise area and Idaho falls are growing, I imagine there is a significant number of hunters that just moved here and didn't have residency going into the season, therefore buying nonres tags....

With the way the boise area and Idaho falls are growing, I imagine there is a significant number of hunters that just moved here and didn't have residency going into the season, therefore buying nonres tags....

I’m going to be in that exact situation when September rolls around...

Gobbler36

WKR
Point to all this is...

F&G shouldn't allow ranchers to push harvest on animals that are recovering from tough winter and several years of hard predator changes or allow too much opportunity for the sake of selling NR tags. Period, that simple don't our resource at risk.