Elk Ribs

How come I never get back Elk Ribs from the butcher?

Venison ribs I once demanded from the butcher, and they weren't worth dog food. Nastiest ribs I couldn't eat.

How are Elk ribs ?

They normally grind rib meat unless you tell them differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colonel00

WKR
Just a guess but I would assume that they are too lean to try to cook like you would with pork ribs. Just for fun, I tried to smoke whitetail ribs once and it didn't work out well at all.

spaniel

FNG
Ribs, with bone in? I've never hunted elk somewhere that you would carry out the ribcage so I wouldn't know. I do pick over the rib meat pretty well when boning out though, elk have a ton of accessible rib meat as compared to a deer. Most of it is burger fodder though; I process my own.

Poser

WKR
Just a guess but I would assume that they are too lean to try to cook like you would with pork ribs. Just for fun, I tried to smoke whitetail ribs once and it didn't work out well at all.

Steve Rinella has a recipe where you pressure cook the ribs for half and hour then smoke them, which works reasonably well if you want the presentation. I always just toss the rib meat in the grind.

Vids

WKR
Elk ribs are great! I do a rib roll as well, there is quite a bit of meat there along with the brisket. I cut it into slabs a couple pounds each.

I usually smoke for a few hours to get the flavor, then finish it in the crock pot until it's ready to shred. It takes about 10-12 hours of cooking, it's a very tough piece of meat. Once you can shred it easily it makes great barbacoa for tacos or bbq sandwiches.

wapitibob

WKR

Venison ribs I once demanded from the butcher, and they weren't worth dog food. Nastiest ribs I couldn't eat.

How are Elk ribs ?

Elk is just as bad if you don't get the fat off. Like chewing on a bar of bbq'd bees wax.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider

How are Elk ribs ?

Venison ribs are great!
cut them down to size, put in the crock pot with your favorite BBQ sauce, (if you like the thick stuff you will need to water it down so it doesn't stick to the pot)
cook for 10 hours and enjoy!