Looking to Hire- Elk Consultant

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent 7 straight years in the woods chasing elk and am yet to harvest one. I typically hunt with my dad and and a buddy, and none of us have harvested an elk in those 7 years. In fact, I've only ever seen one group and that was a small herd of 5 last year. I've hunted a mixture of 1st and 2nd season and typically always have a cow tag. I've got no issues putting miles on my boots and would say I typically average about 7-12 miles hiking per day. The units I've hunted seem to all have thick timber with very little open country/hillsides to glass. I spend all winter, spring and summer looking at google earth and reading about elk hunting- yet end up frustrated and disappointed every hunting season! I suppose I'm mostly on here to vent ha, but am looking for any books, videos, articles, etc that others have used to help shorten the learning curve. I'm a Colorado native and grew up hunting waterfowl, but have transitioned more towards big game since hitting my 20's.

I think part of my trouble is finding a decent location that holds elk. The sign we find is usually ~couple weeks old. We also seem to find a lot of fresh rubs, but never the elk that make them!

I am basically willing to do anything to figure out how to hunt these critters successfully! My thread title is only half joking....

I've spent 7 straight years in the woods chasing elk and am yet to harvest one. I typically hunt with my dad and and a buddy, and none of us have harvested an elk in those 7 years. In fact, I've only ever seen one group and that was a small herd of 5 last year. I've hunted a mixture of 1st and 2nd season and typically always have a cow tag. I've got no issues putting miles on my boots and would say I typically average about 7-12 miles hiking per day. The units I've hunted seem to all have thick timber with very little open country/hillsides to glass. I spend all winter, spring and summer looking at google earth and reading about elk hunting- yet end up frustrated and disappointed every hunting season! I suppose I'm mostly on here to vent ha, but am looking for any books, videos, articles, etc that others have used to help shorten the learning curve. I'm a Colorado native and grew up hunting waterfowl, but have transitioned more towards big game since hitting my 20's.

I think part of my trouble is finding a decent location that holds elk. The sign we find is usually ~couple weeks old. We also seem to find a lot of fresh rubs, but never the elk that make them!

I am basically willing to do anything to figure out how to hunt these critters successfully! My thread title is only half joking....
If your hiking 7-12 miles a day you should be seeing elk in Colorado. I think it's really crappy that you've spent 7 freaking years looking for an elk and can't find them regularly. Have you tried glassing rather than hiking? Do you have a hunt coming up or is this post hunt in prep for next year?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I was there this season. Found them over the summer. Then September rolled around and since I’m non resident/first timer didn’t have a clue where they moved to. Only encounter was in downed timber at 11k not even 2 miles from road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im guessing with that many miles under your boots in Colorado its something to do with your hunting tactics/strategies and not necessarily the area your choosing. Its possible you are bumping or spooking the elk before you get a chance to see them. Covering that many miles per day tells me you are moving too fast. When I think im close to elk, because I have smelled them or found fresh sign. I get the wind perfect between me and where they are and then take one step at a time, pausing momentarily to look through the woods before taking the next step.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Check out elk101 and watch Randy Newberg's info on youtube, both have good things to offer.

Is there a reason why your only google earth scouting vs actual scouting as it sounds like you live in CO? I'd be headed to your hunt areas all summer long doing backpack trips, fish trips whatever it takes to find good places to hunt once the season comes. Get to know your areas better and you'll start to figure out where they live.

I'm no expert but...
if you are primarily hunting heavy timbered areas, and you think you're moving slow enough...you aren't.
find area's with game trails and sign, and sit on them a bit more.
you'd be amazed what you can hear when you arent moving and making any noise yourself. it feels like a needle in a haystack sometimes but keep at it, and be patient. get yourself a nice little sit pad and find a nice tree and just sit and listen once you think you're in a good area

Elknutz

FNG
Just to be sure, when you read about hunting wapiti you didn't assume a bugle means a "trumpet" right? I could see that hurting you.

j/k - I have hunted Colorado a few times, we have always been able to find elk. That's a lot of miles to not even blunder into some.

When I was younger I would go like mad. I had a sever knee injury that really slowed me down. I started seeing more elk the slower I went. I usually assume I am close to elk & go slow, like 45 min to go a hundred yards sometimes.

IdahoElk

WKR
Make a friend with someone that is successful in your area,ask him for advice,maybe you have something to offer him in another area of life.Win/win

CoHiCntry

WKR
Sounds like your rifle hunting... look at high point trophy areas, then apply for a cow tag. Might take you a point or two but this would put you in a prime area with enough elk that you should be able to get one. Especially if there's three of you! This will at least get the monkey off your back and maybe you can learn something by seeing and hunting elk instead of seeing nothing. Good luck!

Your title says you want to hire an elk consultant. Have you considered looking into a cow hunt with a guide or outfitter? Bull hunts are more costly, which is why I mention the cow. You could learn a lot from a pro. Maybe find some working in an area similar to your preferred unit and ask to be notified if they have any cancellation hunts (again, cheaper than a regular hunt).

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice on this thread so far. Move slow and let your eyes do the walking as much as possible. Don't be afraid to sit and watch for a good long while if you have a good vantage point of some country. Critters have a tendency to appear as if from thin air if you glass long enough.

gbflyer

WKR
Tough year on the W side this trip. Really dry. Huge moon for the second season.

I wish I had some key to success to share but I've gone 1 for 4 so I certainly don't have it. Keep going and having fun. It will happen.

I've been sitting in pretty thick timber during early muzzleloader season when it was dry, and had a spike show up seemingly out of nowhere 15 yards away.
didn't hear a single twig snap coming in. everyone says elk are always loud when they move, not always the case.
i would also bet you are bumping them as you move through areas.

big44a4

WKR
Good advice on this thread so far. Move slow and let your eyes do the walking as much as possible. Don't be afraid to sit and watch for a good long while if you have a good vantage point of some country. Critters have a tendency to appear as if from thin air if you glass long enough.

Second this if you are in a place worth glassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Your title says you want to hire an elk consultant. Have you considered looking into a cow hunt with a guide or outfitter? Bull hunts are more costly, which is why I mention the cow. You could learn a lot from a pro. Maybe find some working in an area similar to your preferred unit and ask to be notified if they have any cancellation hunts (again, cheaper than a regular hunt).

Very good advice here....there are many 3 day guided cow hunts for less than $1k. I saw one the other day for $500 on a ranch that has 100% opportunity. You can learn a lot from from your guide in this setting. And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.....a good guide will be more than happy to share general knowledge.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious how many elk are in this chosen area...do you have cameras out and is it legal to do so? Are you seeing many rubs? Can you go into the area when bugling to see where they go or if they are there?

Being from the East coast. 1st year I went semi guided. No Elk.

2nd year, I smartened up. 1 on 1 guide is the only way to go FOR ME.
I see timber, guides see Antlers.
I hear nothing, guides hear Elk moving.
I sit looking, guides sit glassing.
I still still, guides use mouth calls.

It made all the difference for me. Yes, my wallet is empty, but it's worth it.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good feed back in here, thanks to everyone that's responded! I have not hunted the same exact areas every year, but have been in the same units. My thought process for moving around is that I'm not seeing elk, so I pick a new camp spot for the next season. I do boots on the ground scouting throughout the summer when I can, but even then that's only a few weekends a year. I think part of my issue is that I pick a spot on my map/gps that I want to go to and head for that area (typically small parks/meadows) rather than hunting an entire area. I have thought about going the guided route, but would need to do some more research into who I would use/where to go as I'd want it to model a typical public land hunt so that I could transfer the skills to later hunts.

I think I need to just pick a unit (and camp spot) and put in more work to find the trails and travel corridors they use and just sit those. I spend a good amount of time sitting in the timber, but when you can only see ~50-75 yards, feels like it would be all dumb luck to have one wander into view! I will definitely check out Elk101- seems like a good resource!

Heath

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any reason you are confining yourself to timber? It sounds like the style you'd prefer is to hunt areas with some sight lines since you like to hike/move (even if its thick country at ground level that doesn't mean you can't see into it from cross canyon for instance). When you are out scouting do you ever see elk?