Looking to Hire- Elk Consultant

Thomas11

WKR
I’m from Alabama. I’ve been on 5 or 6 elk hunts. Just like u, I’m DIY totally on my own. Hunted CO three times. Always have been in the thick of things with elk around me daily. In my opinion, your biggest mistake is hunting where u can’t see, especially 1st or 2 nd rifle when the bugling activity has gone away. I’ve always and I mean always had better luck where I could spot the elk. Elk like some openings anyway to be able to feed etc. and unless u know the elk are in the immediate area I wouldn’t sit and wait. They r big animals and they make tons of sign when u find where they r. Unless u hunting a migration corridor or something like that, u gotta find them first and then u. I would never sit somewhere I could just see 50 yards unless i knew the elk was there and I was calling him in or a wallow or something of that nature. I’ve only hunted in sept now but first rifle I’d be using the same tactics unless u had some freakish weather. I’d be up high at timberline where I could see. And maybe u need a better unit. Me personally pick one with some roadless areas that have good populations and hike in and find them. Pick out three or four spots within your unit like that and u you will find the elk. No doubt

Jon Boy

WKR
If you're really putting on that many miles every season you're just in piss poor elk country. Theres no way you could bump elk day in and day out of every year with out ever seeing them. You know when you bump elk. Usually you smell them first. Try a new unit, one that you can glass a little better.

Oldffemt

WKR
Unit 28 has lots of elk (I used to live there) unfortunately it gets lots of pressure because of the amount of road access. Study your maps for areas with no roads or 4 wheeler trails. I’ve killed several in that area within a mile of the road (county rd 2) by just being willing to climb steep grades that other hunters weren’t willing to put the effort into. They will herd up on the steepest, darkest north slopes you can find during rifle season and generally don’t leave the trees till after dark. Find these areas, get the wind right and slowly move through. Once I learned to let my nose do more work than my feet, I started killing elk regularly.
Good luck and keep at it!

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback everyone. While I know the units I hunt hold elk, I'm going to make a change for 2018 and start hunting a new unit. Luckily I have 5 months to do research and find my new honey hole ha! Luckily ice fishing and waterfowl seasons are just around the corner so I'll have something to take my mind off these mythical creatures.

WyoElk

WKR
You didn’t mention if you are saving points or not (at least I didn’t see it) but I would suggest you look at some of the RFW tags. Some are better than others but it would be similar to a guided hunt without the fee’s. Some of those ranches pretty much provide a 1 to 1 guide and you are all but guaranteed success. At least it will help you get one down and build some confidence.

If you get a good ranch hand you could ask a ton of questions. Might be a mixed bag but whoever it is might be insightful.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been accumulating points and currently have 7. I'm worried about using burning them on a good tag though as it seems that I haven't yet figured out how to hunt elk, ha! I've had a trail cam set up all year in one of the mid-level point units (bull tag) and have gotten pictures of quite a few elk. I'm seriously considering cashing in my points next year in this unit, just need to decide which season to hunt. I haven't ever hunted this unit since it requires points for both bull and cow tags. Once all of the hunting seasons have closed I'm going to give the local warden a call and get his feedback and see if that helps me make up my mind. Here are a couple pictures from the trail cam:

iWuYFQH.jpg

PkQ9gIE.jpg

6Hsukej.jpg

bigmNYs.jpg

nAm3Lri.jpg

fMOuity.jpg

yFp8olu.jpg

fMOuity.jpg

paxamus

WKR
Planning a trip and appreciate everyone's input, not my thread- but find yall's help to be invaluable!

kcm2

WKR
If you're in elk country, where are the escape routes? I've killed a bunch by sitting all day on one ridge, looking at an escape route on the other. By a bunch, I've taken 12 elk in one spot, and my friends another dozen or so.

I suspect you've busted out quite a few, either because of movement or wind. Mountain winds are quite fickle.

Now, if you are in "elky" timber, here's my advice for you. Go three steps per minute. And glass the hell out of the area. You have either busted elk out or walked past bedded elk, if the area contains elk when you hunt it. I haven't read that you're running into a lot of fresh sign. a herd of elk has to go to the bathroom.

AGPank

WKR
ElkNuts playbook is a good resource.

Sounds like the area has elk. Identify food and water sources. If you look at google earth you should find trails between food, water, shelter. Pay attention to wind and your scent.

Have you considered later season hunts? You may get some better opportunity when the elk move into the lower country.

Consider a guide one year. Some places offer semi-guided that may make it more affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
They say the average Elk hunter goes 10 years before they get their first Elk trying to do it DIY. I read that somewhere. I am on my 4th year of Elk hunting and each year I learn more and it helps the following year. I have never not seen elk here in Colorado. Getting a shot opportunity is an entirely different subject. But I still have alot of fun and look forward to it every year.

I hunt with my buddy whos been chasing Elk for close to 30 years. The find a friend who has hunted and been successful is super good advice. We have a blast weather we get a shot or not. Thats what Hunting is all about.

I am gonna throw out a good word for Roes Hunting Resource also. Terry has been an incredible instructor and is really good about making you understand Elk behavior and how to listen, and talk to to them.