Headed back to Montana

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I've decided last minute to run back out to rifle hunt the little belts. This is my first year elk hunting and spent about two weeks there during archery season and had a couple quick questions. Can I expect to find elk in the same areas as before in September or will most be pushed low onto the private? I know the area has gotten some snow, is it worth bringing a sled in case I do connect? Some guys plan on only hunting/glassing in the morning or evening, I plan on going all day because I only have a couple days,is still hunting nasty downed or thick timber worth it? Any other advice or things I should consider let me know or shoot me a pm.
Thanks in advance.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know that country, but in general have a vantage pt come daybreak and again in the evening. They will be feeding later than normal and depending on pressure snow and temps you may find them out where you can see them longer. Timber hunting in fluff can be good just watch the buried sticks🤙 I plan on staying out all day and using glass and building fire when need be👍Often more time afield equates to greater opportunities. Good luck. Also as side note they are starting to bachelor up so be sure to check before you shoot something much larger may step out last👊

Last edited:
I think more glassing increases odds better than still hunting. Randy Newburg just answered this question and he's had success glassing mid day during the late season, as have I.

tom338

FNG
Bring a sled for sure!!! Easier to sled out meat than backpack it, if there are not to many deadfall trees.

OP
T

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
most of the area I hunted had limited vantage points for glassing. I did find a couple and will check them out. I will definitely bring my sled. heading out late this afternoon and hope to drive all night and hunt in the morning. Thanks for the replies.

OP
T

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I headed up to the area I bow hunted, which was difficult to get to with the snow. Hunted up there Friday and cut a few fresh tracks, but mostly older ones. Hiked back as far as I could and found elk beds that were a couple days old and only one recently used bed. Most tracks headed further down. With the depth of the snow making hunting difficult and the horrible roads getting up there I decided head out of the area. Went down and hunted in the flats with some friends and tons of other hunters. I wasn't able to shoot and elk, but did see a few downed. Driving around harassing them on the flats is not my style of hunting so I left Sunday morning.