Flying with MR Metcalf pack?

stonewall

WKR
Have any of you Metcalf users been able to fly with your pack as a carry on? I was thinking I heard someone mention they've done so, but I'm concerned the length of the frame is longer than the airline specs (southwest says 24", frame is 26). thanks!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Based on my semi-regular flying experience (not specifically with a pack along) is it will be hit/miss for carry on. If they are lax you can put something like that in sideways (while pissing off everyone else for taking up 2 spaces if they are short on space). When I've flown with packs for backpacking I've stuffed them into a military duffle (protects all the dangling straps) and checked them. I also put my guidelight frame into a standard checked bag on a long work trip late summer so I could continue my preseason training. So long story short check it if you can to be safe is my opinion.

I flew two years ago on Southwest with a 26" Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 without issue as my carry-on. It fit in the overhead bins just barely.

Trial153

WKR
recently used a Pintler as a carry on, that said it wasn't overly loaded and I compress ed the belt down.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you guys fitting them in the bin the right way or turning them sideways and taking up the space 2 standard carry on luggage bags fit into? I'm sure they fit turned just fine it just screws over others if its a crowded flight, I think it'd have trouble fitting in correctly esp. in any of the small/medium fleet planes.

Are you guys fitting them in the bin the right way or turning them sideways and taking up the space 2 standard carry on luggage bags fit into? I'm sure they fit turned just fine it just screws over others if its a crowded flight, I think it'd have trouble fitting in correctly esp. in any of the small/medium fleet planes.

I fit mine in the right way. Pretty much all overhead bins have a closing door that has some concave curvature to it. They give you a length requirement that holds true for if it's rectangular but has some extra room along the curvature. Since the frame is only that long in one specific plane it should fit. But you can always check it to be sure. I personally refuse to check mine considering the bag itself is $500 to replace if they lose it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I get the curved part, my favorite bag to travel with don't fit their "test box" but other than the small puddle jumpers that only fit really small bags it fits all the overheads if I put it in handle first. Good to know on packs, I was having a hard time imagining 26" squeaking in there.

For what its worth I've never had an airline loose my luggage (delayed sure, never outright lost).

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm hoping to use as my carryon so that on my return flight my two checked bags are ice chests of meat. We'll see what happens.

Reviving this old beast. Anyone had problems flying with a mystery ranch metcalf? I'm flying American Airlines.

Thanks

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
Ahh. I remember this thread. I ended up never using the metcalf as a carryon. I did check it inside a large duffel in 2018. I have flown with my tenzing 5000 as a carryon 3x now (round trip) with no issues. The tenzing has a 24” frame I believe (it is shorter than metcalf anyway).

Im at this point with American.

"Soft Sided Garment bag" you can add up the L+W+H to equal less than 51" so Could I not compress it.

to me the frame pack is a soft sided garment bag, to others maybe not.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
i tighten everything down as much as possible. then i also fasten the hip belt behind me when going through security and on plane. basically keeping things as small as possible. most of why i fly with the tenzing is that in case they force me to check it i won't worry about it much. i just didn't want to run the risk with the metcalf. that said, based on my limited experience of 6 total one way flights...I think you can get away with it. board early so you can get pack in the overhead. if you're late, you're probably checking it at the gate

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Have had a buddy carry a fully packed MR Metcalf on the last two hunting trips we've flown to with no issues (Southwest Airline). Hot tip- carry it down the aisle (don't wear it) to avoid smacking into everybody already sitting down

Well boys looks like I'm gonna send it then. Worst case it gets checked....
Have had a buddy carry a fully packed MR Metcalf on the last two hunting trips we've flown to with no issues (Southwest Airline). Hot tip- carry it down the aisle (don't wear it) to avoid smacking into everybody already sitting down
I've flown with my mystery ranch marshall as a carry on multiple times on Southwest without any problems.

Should be no problem. I fly with my Selway on the Guide lite MT frame.

I put a knee into the pack to really tighten down the straps. Attach the hip belts around the backside of the pack. Carry it down the aisle in front of you.