2017 CO GMU 28 3rd rifle

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent this past week hunting in CO unit 28. Lots of elk sign but could not find them. Talked to several others in the area and they had the same experience. Most of the tracks were on the edges of burns and thick dark timbers. I am heading back there this coming week with my son who has an either sex tag. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should go into the dark timbers or watch the edges. Thanks.

Last edited:

TauPhi111

WKR
I just got back from a 3rd season hunt in 62. We saw tons of elk sign, but the freshest sign and we're we actually saw elk was down near the bottom of the canyons and valleys in the thick stuff.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. My son shot a nice 6x6 in the dark timbers off the burns. Last week when I was there you couldn’t see very far because of the snow on the trees. This week the snow on the trees was gone and you could see much better. If I can figure out how to post a picture i will.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Ive hunted the area for years , bow season - 4th rifle. Its a huge unit that receives a lot of pressure. Anything after 1st rifle your best bet is the dark timber.