Season 4 Craig CO elk hunt

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I am out here with my wife and I have a place to hunt and everything...

This place is packed!

Looking for thought on if the elk will come down this low?

I know the weather is not great and this is my first year ever hunt late season elk!

Wondering if the elk will begin migrating without snow?

Or just looking for input on this seasons elk hunt here?

Thanks

wewarev

FNG
Hey guys I am out here with my wife and I have a place to hunt and everything...

This place is packed!

Looking for thought on if the elk will come down this low?

I know the weather is not great and this is my first year ever hunt late season elk!

Wondering if the elk will begin migrating without snow?

Or just looking for input on this seasons elk hunt here?

Thanks
Have some friends who used to hunt just west of there every year and from what I understand the elk didn't start migrating until they were forced out of the High Country by the snow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
My buddy just got home from there - 3rd season.
Elk were sparse - deer were everywhere

He did shoot a bull Saturday morning that came thru so they will be coming very soon

Patience - Saturday evening / Sunday am should be good

wytx

WKR
Snow is coming be patient.
Hunted over there late one year , elk will move down with weather.

willidru

WKR
I just got back from the Craig area on a 3rd season hunt. Our camp was at 7400 and the elk were sparse. I was lucky enough to take my Cow and Bull, but our group had 10 hunters and we only got 3 elk total. There were some decent size heards on private at 8500 ft that we saw.

I've also got a 4th cow tag for this area and have been stressed about the lack of weather, looks like it will get pretty cold Sat night though. Anyone have any advice/knowledge about the BLM on the East side of GMU 3 vs the West side? Unfortunately, I have eaten up all of my PTO this year on various flavors of tag soup and will only get to be out there Friday-Sunday. There seems to be a lot of land to cover, and from never having explored that part of the state yet I can't decide where to start.

WyoElk

WKR
I’m up here hunting cows as well. I’m finding elk every morning and afternoon but they are mostly on private or land locked BLM. Can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a deer though.

I’m headed higher this afternoon to see what I can turn up. Doesn’t look like the snow is forecasted to be very significant but it should make for some miserable hunting conditions 😂

If luck was on my side I would have been up there a month ago chasing a buck but didn't draw the tag, spent a god awful 4 days in 18/28 instead. Excited to get out there, at least I know I should see some deer!

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m up here hunting cows as well. I’m finding elk every morning and afternoon but they are mostly on private or land locked BLM. Can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a deer though.

I’m headed higher this afternoon to see what I can turn up. Doesn’t look like the snow is forecasted to be very significant but it should make for some miserable hunting conditions

Are you east or west of 13?

Sako76

WKR
I just came back from a 3rd season Unit 12 guided hunt (Meeker) at 7500. Elk were scare, deer everywhere. Our group went 4 for 5 on elk including one click (empty chamber) at 300 yards and 3 for 3 on buck deer, all nice. I hope they give more deer tags out next year. I think it will be a tough 4th season W/O snow, hopefully you will get some. Good luck!

WyoElk

WKR
Are you east or west of 13?

I was east of 13. I finally got into them and killed one yesterday morning. My advice would be to look high. I found them in plenty at around 9K in the aspens. I don’t see any sign that a migration has begun so I went high and that’s where they were. Good luck!

Congrats WyoElk, way to get it done. Any advice for one hunting west of 13? Seems like there is nothing over 7200 ft or so. Hopefully there's some lost cows wandering the canyons/draws

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats WyoElk, way to get it done. Any advice for one hunting west of 13? Seems like there is nothing over 7200 ft or so. Hopefully there's some lost cows wandering the canyons/draws

Stuck in the same boat here. Hoping the snow today will push some down tom!