Bugles in November? Strange or common?

TauPhi111

WKR
So I just got back from my first DIY elk hunt in unit 62 in Colorado for 3rd rifle season. No bulls were killed, but it was a great trip nonetheless as I learned so much about this style of hunting in just 5 days. We saw a lot of cows, a couple mule deer, and a pronghorn, but didn't lay eyes on any bulls. We did however, hear a few bugles and tried to locate those bulls. The first bugle we heard came on day 2 about 7PM as we were walking back to camp in the dark. The bugle came from down in the canyon, about 300 yards from the trail, and we could hear some animals shuffling around in the dark. The next morning we found a group of cows in that area, but no bulls. That evening with about 2 hours til dark, we heard another bugle coming from the same approximate elevation but farther down the canyon. We tried to locate that bull and again saw a few cows in that area, but didn't find the bull. Finally, the following morning we were staked out where we first saw the big group of cows, and I head a bunch of bugles coming from higher up on the adjacent mountain side.

The first 2 single bugles didn't seem strange to me. I figure a bull might bugle occasionally for some reason out of breeding season, but the string of bugles on the third morning made me wonder if that might be some hunter who didn't know what he was doing. However, I know for a fact that in this area, there were only me and my buddy, and 3 other guys who were hunting with an outfitter, and I don't think either of them would think to bugle that much in the late season.

So what has been you're experience? Has anyone experienced bulls bugling much in November?

wyosteve

WKR
I can't say about November, but I've been on the Elk Refuge in Jackson in February and the bulls would occasionally bugle.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once in a blue moon and during third estrus you will hear some good action occasionally👍

WKR
The cows that don't get bred go into a second "heat" and this can rile up some bulls.

That was the answer given to me when I asked this same question a couple years ago.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes bugles can be heard in Nov as well as all 12 months of the year. Cows can hit a 4th estrus cycle in Nov if they have not conceived in the previous 3. -- The first cycle hits late Aug, 2nd cycle mid Sept, 3rd cycle early to mid Oct & 4th cycle first week or so of Nov.

So you bet, you weren't crazy you certainly could have heard bulls bugling in your area!

ElkNut/Paul

ahlgringo

WKR
Heard no less than 20- the first am of third season. 4 different bulls sounding off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
I heard bugles last week in Wyoming for 3 straight days while elk hunting. I thought it was unusual at first also. Glad to see its a somewhat normal occurrence.

Swede

WKR
I have heard bugles in November, but it has been rare. The late estrus seems odd to me as the bull was not around the cows. Why not? I am not at all sure but suspicious it was another hunter.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I typically hunt CO for rifle Elk. Last time I hunted 3rd season heard at least 150 bugles from a handful of bulls, full on sparring action, bulls raking trees that was when the weather was mild during the first part of the season, snow moved in mid hunt and then the bigger bulls seperated from the cows the cows & raghorns dropped elevation by about 1500-2000 ft bigger bulls hung up higher as singles and pairs. Once that snow moved in the you only heard an occaisonal bugle or two right before dark from a raghorn or two lower with the cows. Haven't been back to that area due to other tags in other areas eating up my vac time this year so I can't say if it was a fluke but they had no hunting pressure where I was at everyone was road hunting once you walked i didn't see anyone.

Last edited:
I found a really fresh rub yesterday while elk hunting in Colorado. The sap had barely started to bead and the freshly shaved bark was on top of the softening snow. It might be my most interesting find of the year.