Avalanche Danger

With the weather coming in, it makes me a little nervous because the area I'm planning on hunting this weekend is steep with many areas over 30 degree slopes.

Do you think I can stay reasonably safe by sticking to less steep areas, lower elevation, and ridges? At what snow depth does avalanche danger start to get higher? I think there may only be a foot at the mid slope area that will be our highest point.

I've never really thought about avalanche danger while hunting but it's normally because I'm hunting earlier in November/October.

Thanks.

mtnkid85

WKR
Do you have any Avy training? Really the only way to answer this question is to dig a test pit in each individual slope.
With out that information the only way to stay 100% safe is to avoid avalanche terrain and its runout zones below.

Where are you located? Most states have a Avalanche resource center, such as ours here, that send out daily avalanche forecasts which could give you a idea of whats happening in your area.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, avalanche training is good for sure. And as stated above, there are resources to help you forecast the danger, but at the end of the day, the responsibility is on you, and you alone, to make sure you are safe.