2018 first archery Elk hunt

I am planning my first archery Elk hunt for next year in Colorado for the third week in Sept. I have some family in the Montrose area so I am thinking GMU 65 but they don't hunt so the only scouting I can do is from my desk. Looking at onX maps it looks like there is a good amount of public land. If anyone is familiar with the area and willing to share some knowledge or wisdom I would greatly appreciate it.

OP
calimarine74
I am planning my first archery Elk hunt for next year in Colorado for the third week in Sept. I have some family in the Montrose area so I am thinking GMU 65 but they don't hunt so the only scouting I can do is from my desk. Looking at onX maps it looks like there is a good amount of public land. If anyone is familiar with the area and willing to share some knowledge or wisdom I would greatly appreciate it.
How much does the weather fluctuate at that time of year I haven't been to Colorado in about 11 years. The last time I was close to that area went camping with my dad and our camp got snowed in for a few days. should I prepare for possibly similar fluctuations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of public high, but you need to be conditioned.

September weather varies from warm and dry to cool (even cold) and wet and even snow. You’ll need a good layering system, and a decent shelter if weather sets in. Most the time it’s pretty nice hunting that time year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
calimarine74
Lots of public high, but you need to be conditioned.

September weather varies from warm and dry to cool (even cold) and wet and even snow. You’ll need a good layering system, and a decent shelter if weather sets in. Most the time it’s pretty nice hunting that time year.

Thank you The last time I was up there was the summer I was discharged from the marine corps I spent the summer working construction with my dad in the Telluride area. I was defiantly in a lot better shape and the altitude kicked my butt. So I am working pretty hard at getting in the best shape I can get in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't know about the area specifically, but learning elk behavior should be right up there will conditioning and getting used to altitude. You're not too far from some good country to "acclimate" in.

Expect there to be snow up on the peaks and the possibility to get a little below 10k. The majority of elk will be around that elevation still. Find areas that can support larger herds, the more elk you find, the more chances you'll have.

OP
calimarine74
Are there any books I should pick up on behavior or tactics since living in California gives no opportunity to scout and observe behavior in person. I am also considering the university of elk hunting on elk 101 seems like a good source of info. Any thoughts are appreciated.

svivian

WKR
Take the elk 101 course not only is there tons to read but videos to go along with it. Well worth the money.

Elkchayser

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any books I should pick up on behavior or tactics since living in California gives no opportunity to scout and observe behavior in person. I am also considering the university of elk hunting on elk 101 seems like a good source of info. Any thoughts are appreciated.

All of Mike lapinskis books very informative they are old but worth the read ! Good Hunting!