Question for Easterners who have Ventured West!!

Guff

FNG
How rough is the hiking in the mountains out west?? I have never been west of Kentucky and have genuine concern about getting in shape. Don't want to go out and be miserable. Main reason I ask is because I exercise very regular, usually 4-5 times a week. Sometimes the hills I hunt in Kentucky have me grabbing my knees at the top. Just wanting to be real with myself on expectations. Thanks for the help.

My brothers and I are from Tennessee. We've hunted the San Juans the last couple years with no problems. We hunt around 12k ft and there air is definitely thin but you can probably handle it. We took our dad this year, hiked in 3-4 miles with about 1k ft elevation gain and none of us had a problem. Our dad is 58 and smokes a pack a day and he had no problem so you should be fine. Just take it easy and don't overwork yourself. If you can get your hands on it, get some diamox and stock up on ibuprofen. We never got altitude sickness but we all had headaches regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I only hunt at around 9500'. I haven't found it to be that difficult. The summers here are way more taxing than the elevation out West is for me.

robtattoo

WKR
I'm in Tennessee & hunt Wyoming every year, usually between 9 to 12k

First time out there kicked my ass, but it feels like getting easier every year. I'm not in shape at all. Fat as shit, in fact but I feel like my capabilities out there increase every time I go. Like my body recognises what's happening now & adapts to the change very quickly.

Diamox, water & Rolaids are your friends.

ljalberta

WKR
Bring trekking poles, and get at it! It's a good misery, and will have you coming back for more.

Trial153

WKR
get in as good as shape as you can then go amd not worry about it.

it really comes down to just putting one foot in front of the other and keep walking.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depending on the terrain training for up hill legs is completely different than getting in regular shape. I was pleased with the MTI big game prep program I did this year prior to hunting, big boost in capability. I plan to incorporate some of the exersizes regularly at a lower frequency to maintain some of that sport specific conditioning.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what kind of terrain you'll be hunting and how far you walk every day. If it's steep and you're climbing up and down a couple thousand feet every day you'll defiantly know it. To me it seems like it's adding the 20lb back full of gear, the extra weight will tire you out quicker and make you sore the first couple days.

The terrain is definitely tougher than the east. But I find the elevation is what gets me, always has. Even when I was a teenager that played high school soccer and was in very good shape. I found that I could not acclimate to the elevation fast enough. I would get pounding headaches and sick to my stomach around 13,000 feet. Going down the mountain was the only cure. It never effected my dad and brother.

Now I find that if I take it easy the first few days and drink LOTS and LOTS of water, I do much better.

This past year my sinus problems have negatively effected my lungs. Hoping to get that lined out by September.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I frequently traverse the mountains of western NC, into GA, and TN as well. In my view the eastern mountains are exactly the same minus the elevation. The elevation is what kicks my butt every time. Having said all of that, if you are getting winded in KY I would recommend getting in a bit better shape, it will help, and certainly wont hurt.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
As many others have said, get yourself in as good of condition as you can. You don't want to spend your valuable time out west getting in shape, you need to focus on hunting.
You can find mountains out west that vary from extreme vertical to rolling gentle hills. There really is something for everyone. Access can be very different as well. There are many locations and trail heads that you can find game with out gaining much more elevation.

JD619er

WKR
I've found for me that the humidity you get here in Ohio and eastern Kentucky is extremely taxing on your lungs if your doing backpack cardio in the summertime in the 90+ degree heat. I don't know what part of Kentucky your from exactly but all my family is from Leslie county and the hills feel like walls straight up when your in the bottom of a holler so if your used to humping up and down those all the time you'll have no problem out west

Trekking poles and take it slow in really steep stuff.

We came to Colorado from PA and hunted between 9500-11000 in really steep terrain. We were in the steepest terrain I have ever been in but took it slow enough that we didn't burn out. I was much more concerned about loosing my footing and winding up at the bottom of a very long and steep slope.

You will be tired after your hunt no matter where you go. Hunt as hard as you can in the area you are and you'll have a blast.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a NM turkey trip and San Juan backpack hunt under my belt (this year). I’ll agree with everything already said - it’s the elevation that really drags you down for a couple of days. If you’re in decent shape - you’ll get winded, but you’ll be fine. I felt like I moved overall faster if I went at a slow enough pace uphill to not max out you heart rate. Once you max out, it feels like you’re chest is constructed and it takes forever to get your breath back.

If you’re in excellent shape you’ll still get winded, but you’ll be able to go a little faster and probably have the confidence to go farther. In theory anyway, I fall into the “decent shape” category.

I’m convinced there is no way for a flat lander to fully prepare for the mountains. You just can’t simulate the altitude and terrain.

My takeaway is this - you won’t be as prepared/in shape as dudes that live out there and train in the mountains year round. That said, you’ll be able to do it and you’ll feel tired, but great after your hunt.

PS - cardio, weighted box step ups and trekking poles are your friends.

The steepness of the mountains East vs. West is very similar. As stated by others the elevation is the main difference. The lack of oxygen is your greatest concern and your body is limited in being able to prepare. You're simply going to be huffing and puffing more because your cardiovascular system won't be used to dealing with limited oxygen.

But, something that hasn't been mentioned yet could also be limiting, and that is humidity. Living in the east we are used to high humidity and don't give it a thought. But, if you're going to a drier area of the west and breathing heavier you will definitely notice that your lips and nose will crack. That's no bid deal until your sinuses dry out. Then your sinuses can get irritated and it will hurt to breath through your nose. On my first two week Colorado hunting trip my hunting partner got a sinus infection and it ruined the last half of his hunt. If you have allergies then you may be more susceptible. The solution is to inhale a saline spray frequently and drink lots of water. Remember that if the air is dry and you're breathing harder you will lose moisture faster by breathing. Which is something that we never thing of in the east.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
...We never got altitude sickness but we all had headaches regularly.

Well actually yes, you did have altitude sickness, headaches are the main sign of altitude sickness. It's obvious that you treated your altitude sickness with diamox and ibuprofen.

The most common symptom is headache, but loss of appetite, nausea and sleep disturbances are also common complaints. High altitude sickness can be prevented by slow ascent and avoiding overexertion. Medication is available that can help reduce symptoms.

Well actually yes, you did have altitude sickness, headaches are the main sign of altitude sickness. It's obvious that you treated your altitude sickness with diamox and ibuprofen.

Sorry Dr. Google. We had VERY minor altitude sickness which I wouldn't attribute to altitude. I attributed the headaches to physical fatigue, lack of sleep, and a muscle knot in my shoulder from packing 60 pounds of gear in 4 miles. I experienced the same symptoms in Iraq from humping all day with the same amount of gear. Was that altitude sickness as well? Doubtful at 700' above sea level.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
As others said, it’s not the terrain as much as the altitude. First yr out kicked my ass. I was in pretty good shape too. Second time, I took a supplement that I read good reviews on and it was a total game changer. I won’t go without it again. Look up Altitude Rx on Amazon.
Besides that, for the most part, you can find mountains in the east with terrain comparable to the west.

I think being physically fit for a mountain hunt is as important as the weapon you hunt with. You have to be able to get to the game, then you have to be able to get yourself and your harvest (hopefully) packed out.

NYSKIER

WKR
This was my first year and I trained by doing stairs with a loaded pack about 3-4 times a week with running and biking on my off days. I also arrived early and hung out at a friends house to get used to the altitude for a day or two. You could get to a good elevation via car then camp. I would also say as mentioned above trekking poles really help. You can get a good cheap pair from costco/amazon