Whoops, Did I Do That?

ElkNut1

WKR
OK folks, this is # 1 of 4 short chapters! This was a very memorable archery elk hunt with my Son! I think you'll enjoy it & I won't drag it out! (grin)

The morning started out innocent enough! We were heading out 45min before light to a pre-determined spot we had been into elk 2 days earlier. It was just my Son & I. We had covered about 1 1/2 mile into the Idaho woods when we heard a bugle just north of us 400 yds+ out. We had not called at all to this point so this ole boy had sounded off on his own, he bugled several more times but we could tell he was in hot pursuit of something, such as a herd of elk with a possible hot cow. We followed his bugles the best we could but he was moving fast through the heavy dark timber! At this point we could not see him.

You must appreciate the country we hunt! It's steep in many areas & very rugged. There are tons of downfalls in it from years of burns. Alder/Chaparral type brush grows rampant in every direction & is in the 7' to 15' high stages, it's nearly impossible to see over or get through it; you must find seams via game trails here & there & do your best to maintain a reasonable direction. In this case we were trying to follow this bull’s bugle as we felt he would lead us to the real herd. You will cover 3 times the distance as needed because of the terrain & it's steep including where he was taking us!

We are in pursuit of this bull but his bugles are becoming faint as he's moving much quicker than we can follow, we know the area well as we've taken roughly 25 elk off this mountain range over the years. After about 45min of following & weaving our way straight up this miserable mtn side we hear a bugle above us aprox 1/4 mile away, we are now more excited as it sounds as though we are finally closing the distance, meaning this bull is finally where he wants to be or bed. We now hear a 2nd bull to our left; he's 500yds off & a bit below us in a downfall hell. Almost un-approachable! We know his spot well & hate it!! (grin) He's no doubt a very good herd bull by his sounds but today he is safe from us. We do have a stroke of luck as these 2 are keeping each other entertained vocally.

ElkNut/Paul

To Be Continued!

Scoot

WKR
"I won't drag it out!" "To Be Continued!" Is it just me, or is there a major contradiction here! C'mon Paul, spill the beans!!! Prediction... something on the mountainside above you dies!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Scott, patience now! Lol! Here's the next segment! Thanks for coming along! >>>>>>>>>>>>

We still have done no calling to give away our presence. We now close the distance to the bull above us as he was the closest, he's straight above us on the other side of an alder thicket, he's 55yds out & we can't see a thing. There's a small opening above us & the bull is slightly right of it in the thick cover, he has now bugled aprox 8 times as we stand there with my Son up front as this is going to be his opportunity. We hear the bull pacing back & forth & hope he steps out into the small opening. Well, these 2 bulls go back & forth for 10 minutes & just when we think this bull just above us may step into the opening he retreats back, he does it time & again, the wind is in our face so no issues there. The bull has now moved further away to our right & now is a good 80-90yds away; I don't like this at all. I have my Son get down the mtn another 40yds or so from where we came up, there's a bit of an opening there. I'm going to try & call this bull over his way with some very soft cow calls & then retreat as I'm doing this in hopes this bull will follow or want to catch up with this cow. I have seen no real indication that this is a herd bull we're dealing with so decide not to scream in his face to get him to "react" although I'm puzzled if he's not why his distance is so great from the bull to our left? I'm soon to find out!

My Son sets up & I get behind him 30yds or so; I give a few soft calls, no response from the bull! I try again & get very little response, just a slight chuckle from him, I know he’s trying to call me up to him. I move away & pick up the volume a bit & he shows more interest. About 4-5 minutes have passed & I slowly have picked up the excitement level some, he's starting to build in his excitement as well. I don't feel from my position that he's getting any closer but yet seems further away & going over this steep brushed out mtn. He's vocal enough to give my Son a good position & I'm hoping he's slipping in towards the bull by now? After 10 minutes of this cat & mouse I decide to go back where I left my Son which is a good 100yds away now & he's not there? I look ahead & all around, I see nothing, where the heck did he go? The bull is in front of me still a good 80yds out in this thick cover & is now giving short screams for this cow to come on over, NOW!

p.s. here's the country we are in! We are still in the lower section of trees here & the bull has made it through the opening you can see that heads into the next portion of green timber. We are over there with him now!

ElkNut/Paul

To Be Continued!

Attachments

• DSCN2761.jpg
    DSCN2761.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 130
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
All I can think of is my Son must have tried to shimmy his way through the thicket above where the bull started out to close the distance to get a shot at him as he was very vocal to get a good fix on him. But the bull is now 50yds below this thicket & slightly over a small knoll on the mtn. He now seems like he's getting farther away from his last bugle & chuckles. I feel he's getting nervous because this cow hasn't shown up & I decide I HAVE to get aggressive with him or he's gone! I still cannot locate my Son & feel he's stuck in the thicket above & can't get to the bull in fear of making too much noise?

So I take it upon myself while still 80yds out (mind you this decision making is happening in a matter of seconds) from this bull to get very whiny & loud using sounds very similar to a re-gathering and pleading sound on mid to high volume, I do this along with some intentional stomping & running partially through the lower brush to create a visual in this bulls mind that this cow is now on her way! I'm now calling loudly & stomping my way to him making sure to keep good cover between us, I see a fir tree 15' high with green branches growing all the way to the ground; I head for it feeling the bull is only 20 yds on the other side of it from his last bugle. I get 25yds from the tree & cast my last sounds to my right & little behind me & nock a SnufferSS tipped arrow on my longbow & hurry quietly to this tree expecting to see this bull any second, I get there & see nothing but am staring intently in the direction where I last heard him. ---- Mind you all the while I'm wondering where in the heck is my Son.

Well I stare a few more seconds as I am motionless I now make out antlers through some timber & ears & eyes staring right at me 30yds out, he's on the other side of a huge downfall tree & can only see from his nose up! I'm staring through the branches, I know he saw the movement but I feel he thinks it's the cow he's looking for so we have a 4-5 minute stare down all the while I'm holding my longbow (not drawn but ready) in the ready position & my arm is starting to burn as I cannot lower the bow or move a muscle, he screams a bugle (Round Up Bugle) a good 1/2 doz times & the excitement level is off the charts, he is below me about 25' in elevation. After the stare down he feels all is OK, whew my bow arm is now aching. He pops up on the knoll now 20yds out & stares for a few more seconds, I'm now shaking like a leaf in the wind from exhaustion & excitement that this might just happen, but where the heck is my son?

To Be Continued!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
The bull a 6-point is now 100% broadside & wouldn't you know it there's a dead branch from a downed log running across his side & covering a portion of his vitals. It would be a slam dunk shot with a compound at that distance but too much trajectory involved to risk with a longbow & screw up the shot! I wait patiently not moving a muscle!

The bull now turns & walks a few yards to a 10" diameter aspen tree & starts raking it with just his browtines. His rear is facing me, in front of me & slightly to my right about 2' away is a 12" high slab of granite rock, I feel I need to get on that slab while he's raking to get elevation for the shot & be above that darned branch. I slowly move & up I go hoping he doesn't spot my movement, he doesn't! I'm in position now still shaking of course!! (grin) If he stops raking & turns left I have no shot & he most likely walks out of my life, I need him to go back where he came from. The odds are in my favor he'll do this when he doesn't see the cow. This bull is raking to display for this unseen cow & trying to impress her, in an effort to show what he's got to offer. The bull turns right, sweet, 18yds out! He takes 2 slow steps to my right, I draw anchor & release, I see the arrow slip right into his heart, I watch him take a few steps as he heads down hill & out of my sight, I immediately felt he wouldn't travel far.

I turn around to go find my Son & he's standing right there next to me, I'm in shock as I don't understand how he could've been there so quick?

So here's how my Son saw it all unfold! -----------------

He says he had crept up to a tree not 15yds away but above me where I went to the 15’ fir tree with branches growing to the ground, he was there watching the bull 30yds out waiting for him to step up out of the cover & come towards my calling. That's when this crazy old man, (me) went running by him screaming those cow sounds & stomping away kicking the underbrush. My Son said he was waving his arms at me frantically & hissing at me to stop because the bull was just right there, he just knew I was going to blow the whole thing!! I went by my son only 10 yds away, he said since I didn't notice him waving he picked up a good sized rock to throw in my direction to get my attention to STOP!! He says the rock hit me in the right leg calf & I never slowed for a second!! He said that crazy ElkNut just kept on going to the tree like a mad man on a mission. LOL!! I guess I was so focused I saw & felt nothing at all. -- The first thing my Son said when I turned around to look for him was "nice shot"--2ndly he said that's the 1st time my caller has run by me to kill the bull, we both laughed but I was actually still in shock that I shot that bull right out from under him, actually I felt terrible about it. I had no clue where he was!!!!

My Son did say that when the bull was raking the aspen tree that if he'd turned left where I had no shot that it would've given him the perfect shot. Go Figure!!!! Gotta love elk hunting, especially with your son or daughter! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• 11 2008 6x6 Bull.jpg
    11 2008 6x6 Bull.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 165

Whip

WKR
Great stuff Paul! Reading that with all the detail made me feel like you ran past me and shot a bull from under my nose! Lol Those adrenaline charged encounters and decisions we have to make are what make this stuff so addicting. Adding in the trad bow kicks it up another notch - congrats!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! Sharing as much detail of the hunt helps me to relive it as well as share with others what took place that day! I know I wouldn't trade those days with my boy for anything!

ElkNut/Paul