Wyoming Questions

Ok, so I have read, researched and scratched my head till it almost bleeds. Wyoming elk application process, seasons, dates, weapon choices and available tags are very confusing to me. Can someone please help explain it in layman's terms?

I am looking for an archery elk hunt, DIY, non wilderness. Don't want to hire a guide. September if possible. I have been hunting Colorado for a while now and am looking to branch out and up my elk hunting opportunities.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Put in for the draw. If you get drawn, buy an archery permit(if your draw area allows it) and go hunting.

Last edited:

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Moose Knuckle, yes, it can be a bit difficult to read the regs. Check out Randy Newberg's you tube on this one. He breaks it down pretty well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Put in for the draw. If you get drawn, buy an archery permit(if your draw area allows it) and go hunting
Thanks but, This is some of what I do not understand. Which draw? Limited quota? General tag? Which?

It depends on if you want to hunt every year or every 3+ years. A general tag(over the counter for residents) is easier to draw, hopefully every year or every other year. Or try to draw a limited tag that usually takes points to draw(ie years of building points).

There's a regular draw and a special draw. The special draw is the highest priced one and gives you a little better chance to draw.

Wyoming allows for a points only period. Meaning that you can buy a point without putting in for a tag. Do this if you're wanting to bank points.

This is a very brief description. I hope I didn't confuse you anymore than you where before.

LaHunter

WKR
For non residents, all tags are limited draw. The General vs Limited Quota is really referring to residents. Residents can purchase a General tag over the counter if they don't get drawn for a LQ tag that they have applied for.
The type of tag is designated by a number (1,2,4,9 etc). There is a description in the regs about each tag type.
For Elk, some LQ units , and maybe all, separate the archery tag from the rifle tag so make sure you research this closely. Not sure about the General Elk tag. For deer, I think you can archery and gun hunt on the same tag in most, if not all units.
Hope this helps out some.

OP
MooseKnuckle
It does help explain it better. I am a NR looking to archery hunt, hopefully yearly of I can. So, as a NR, I have to put in for a Limited Quota tag and not a General tag? Or can I just buy an OTC tag and go archery elk hunting?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like the NR who hunt the general areas (which are still a draw for a NR) do well as they hunt almost yearly. I’m talking archery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no OTC for non residents. You have to apply for a general tag. It takes 2 points now to draw for elk I believe. A good general deer area may take 4 years. With their quality, it's similar to limited quota in other states to some extent.

Trial153

WKR
Non residents only. Everything thing is a draw, even your Gen tag. The LE draws are broken down into two parts. The special draw which costs more and has in some cases slighty better odds and the Regular draw with is just as its desscibed.
Keep in mind that its taking a point to draw a gen tag of late and your almost cert to not draw it as a second choice

wapitibob

WKR
The simple answer:
If you want to hunt antlered Elk in WY in 2018, apply for a GEN tag, 1st choice, in the Special price draw. Odds will be better than 50% and license will cost you $1,300. The additional archery license is now $70.

I need to do one good deed for 2017 and am running out of time, pm me your number and I'll call you this weekend and explain the draw system.

Go here and download the new regulations booklet :
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5_BROCHURE.pdf

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
MooseKnuckle

Research a unit and then apply for a RP cow tag.
Get a PP too and that way you can hunt for a cow/learn the unit until you draw an ANY Elk GEN tag

OP
MooseKnuckle
After looking at this years season dates, I see most cow type 6 tags start on or near October 1st but do not specify weapon. Does that mean any legal weapon? And do they not have an archery only season?

cnelk

WKR
Oct 1 is the rifle season start for cows.
If you buy the archery license it starts September 1

wapitibob

WKR
Not all Cow hunts start Sept 1 with the archery license. You need to look at the date table, section 3, just under season dates in the regs.

Wyoming is a rifle hunt state with archery being an "add on". There are few strictly "archery" licenses (type 9), the other "types" are rifle hunts that you can add an archery license too. As such, the regs are a bit confusing as to when that archery hunt season starts. Intermixed with Sept 1 and Sept 15 start dates, are various "type" license restrictions. A bit confusing but once it gets explained you'll have a solid grasp.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
If you’re gonna get a archery cow tag, go early in a unit that starts sept 1
I like to hunt them early