How many elk calls on you?

CiK01

WKR
How many different elk calls do you carry with you when you are in calling situations for elk?

Tony

LandYacht

WKR
Two cow calls, a calf call, three mouth reeds, and a bugle tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
About 3 mouth reeds (same reed, just extras) and a bugle tube, plus a cowgirl mouth call in my pocket just in case or for a different sound if cold calling.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
I carry two, I use one reed 99% of the time, I like an All Purpose reed that will do it all, that's both Cow & Bull sounds! I don't like fumbling around for other reeds in pockets, one works well for me I don't hunt cows & am basically a Run & Gun elk hunter so Bugling is my # 1 priority. There are times I will setup & do a sequence that's when I use the other reed a bit!

ElkNut/Paul

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry 2 bugle reeds and 2 cow call reeds, with two backups in case I lose my favorites. A bugle tube is always with me with backup in rig.

My experience has led me to believe most hunters carry one...a Hoochie Mama and use it every 28 seconds.

vanish

WKR
Two of the same diaphragm and one external reed cow call. Bugle tube if I'm feeling it, but I've had better luck cow calling.

I use the same reed for both bugles and cow calls, and usually carry two of them so I have a backup.
One open reed cow call like a hyper-lip single or temptress
Once bugle. As was mentioned above, an extra bugle in the truck.

cnelk

WKR
Ive found that on any given day, elk will respond to one sort of call and not the one you used the day before.
So, if Im not getting any responses, I switch up calls and..... BAM! Game on.

Bails-UK

FNG
I have a "Remedy" Reed in my Mouth, a spare in my Chest pocket, a Primos "I maka da Bull crazy" and my Phelps "Unleashed" bugle tube....... just for the record, I would never carry a Hoochie Mama :)

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
2-4 different reeds plus a bugle tube. I use same reed 80% of the time whether I'm cow calling or bugling.

chindits

WKR
2 diaphragms on me and a spare set back at camp with my repair kit. 1 tube which I am beginning to hate because of how big and rigid it is. I might go back to my 1990s vintage collapsible tube. I can cow call or bugle with either diaphragm but I definitely like the flexibility of one for cow calling and the other for bugling.