Which state to start buying points?

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got 3 points in Colorado, but I think there may be better options. If you were starting this year, where would you start? And how many points do you think you would need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
Following this. I am planning my first ever elk hunt next year in Montana. I am thinking about starting to build points in Wyoming and New Mexico. Curious what people have to say.

Thomas11

WKR
Simple answer is all em!! The question leaves a lot for discussion depending how long u wanna wait for a tag, what kinda hunt u want, how much u want to spend on app fees(every state is diff), and quality of animal your looking for. But generally speaking- WY,AZ,UT, NV, COand possibly OR. Oregon and Washington are really considering not worth buying points for NR due to very limited supply in the limited entry units, high app fees and not so great trophy potential. But that’s generalized statement. Obviously big bulls come outta of WA and OR

JWP58

WKR
Id probably just find states/areas I could draw with 1 or 0 points and go hunting. I would take opportunity over "trophy" potential.

Wapiti1

WKR
My opinion is that Colorado is the last one to build points in. That state is about opportunity and you use it as your state to learn elk hunting in (or Idaho or Montana). The best tags there are 20 plus years of points away, and just not worth that time when you can do better elsewhere. Again, just my opinion, but there you have it. That said, I am building points there just because I am building points for deer and it doesn't cost much extra to also do elk. Deer though take a lot fewer points to draw a good unit.

Arizona, Wyoming, and Nevada are, to me the best places to build points for an elk tag. Washington and Oregon also have some worthwhile tags. Utah is another, but tags are hard to draw and take a lot of points so I put it last on the list. New Mexico, I apply in every year and hope to draw since there are no points there. I pulled a 34 muzzleloader tag there a couple of years ago. Very fun hunt.

Any of the best units in any state for the best seasons take max points (usually 18 plus). However, you could hunt good units in say, Arizona, every 5-8 years (luck plays a role here to some extent). Or you could wait 20 for one tag and hunt MT or CO every year while you wait.

Really depends on your wants. I build points in every state, and want to hunt more often, so I apply for good units, but rarely the best. Even the good units have great bulls, and the best units still don't have a lot of great bulls. My goals are to hunt more places and have a good hunt. A 400" bull isn't my goal. A 300ish bull with a good story behind it is. Then again, I might get lucky and tag that 400" toad.

Jeremy

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Following this. I am planning my first ever elk hunt next year in Montana. I am thinking about starting to build points in Wyoming and New Mexico. Curious what people have to say.

New Mexico is straight draw, no points.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
@JWP58 - I’m still hunting OTC in Colorado.
@d3ntalbliss - I’ve applied in NM 3 times now and have never got a tag.

Can’t afford to apply to all of them every year.

I know some states, I think AZ specifically, you lose your points if you skip a year or two between buying them.

Some states, WY specifically, requires a guide to hunt the wilderness areas.

I’ve never even considered Nevada, but I’ll have to look into it.

I do agree that CO is not the best state, but they do have OTC every year.

I’ve been thinking about AZ, MT, UT, or WY. Just wanting more opinions.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Take a hard look a point creep in all the states as well. Specifically if were talking elk; I think deer is less an issue.

Agree CO is a moot point to gather points in; but they do have a hybrid system in place to increase your odds once you have X anmount.

I think WY, NM, AZ, and NV are all good bets. I'd stay away from UT because it takes too long to draw a decent hunt. Staying away from the very top tags seems like the best way to get in front of big bulls regularly unless someone prefers a once in a lifetime type hunt.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
If I could go back 9 years, I'd tell myself to not buy points in any state other than one you reside in...or intend to reside in. You can still apply for good hunts in states with a straight up random draw. I even drew one and had a great hunt. It is my opinion you're better off saving the application money and buying a tag you can get every year and really learn an area. Over time you'll pattern the elk, hunters and even the illegal OHV use and leverage all for consistent opportunities.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
@odin226 - I’ve read a little on point creep. Where can I get more info on it? I did not realize CO had any type of hybrid system?

@yzf_88 - I live in Texas. I do plan to hunt every year or every other year with an OTC tag or a tag that doesn’t require points.

Looks like I just need to pick a state and start buying points. I was kind of hoping that somebody knew why one state’s point system & hunts were better.

I appreciate the help guys.

Wyoming has great opportunity. There is plenty of public land besides the wilderness areas that you do not need a guide. Pick a couple but Wyoming is a great state to hunt in.

How is Idaho for elk hunting? That state has great variety like Montana . Elk, pronghorn, sheep, wolves, huge mule deer, black bear... just wondering how good the elk hunting there is as I don't hear about it as much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Another Texan here. I have points in Wyoming and Montana (elk, deer, and antelope); Arizona, Nevada, and Utah (everything), and Colorado (deer only). Have applied and drawn tags in New Mexico the last two years (muzzle Mule deer and rifle elk). Have also applied in Alaska (drew a Kuiu island black bear tag, but didn’t go because ny wife and I had our first child). Meant to start buying points for Tule Elk in California this year, but missed the date.

My plan for 2018: Continue in WY, MT, AZ, UT, NV, CO, NM (mulie, Bighorn, and Pronghorn), Idaho (since the OIAL species will be non-float for 2018), probably adding Iowa and Kansas whitetail. If I draw out on Mule deer in CO I’ll probably buying an OTC elk tag as well.

The part of applying to all these states is usually the fact that they make you purchase a non-resident hunting license. Which run from $60-170+. You can save money in Utah by only buying a license every other year.

If you’re going to apply to states like AZ and UT, I would go ahead and apply for the rest of the species as well, since you’ll already be buying the license and the rest of the species are ~$10 a piece.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up on other species fitzwho.

How is Idaho for elk hunting? That state has great variety like Montana . Elk, pronghorn, sheep, wolves, huge mule deer, black bear... just wondering how good the elk hunting there is as I don't hear about it as much

The,.. WOLVES, have DECIMATED (40- 50% herd LOSS ),.. central Idaho's, Elk ! The Wolves have RUINED a lot of, Idaho Hunting, due to "concentrating", the rest of us, into area's, with LESS,.. Wolves, the spot, I have hunted for 6 Years, had a "Newbie's" Blind set up, 10 Yards from "my" spring and out, in the freakin',.. OPEN ! ONLY "Newbie's", can be,.. THAT,.. stupid ! The Wolves are pretty much,.. EVERYWHERE, now ! I've personally seen 2 the last couple of years and I hunt, the WEST side of the state, many, MANY, miles from, their, "intro" area ! Now I gotta go FURTHER into,.. the "Back Country" !

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lefty your always so positive. Was GKprice your brother you guys are so alike

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lol. So it should be pretty good wolf hunting then? Lol. I suppose it's worth to try and get a tag for as many species as possible.