Idaho 2018 !!??

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
It takes one of three things to be successful in the Pioneer Zone on a bull hunt - Good stock, a hefty dose of gumption, or a whole lot of luck. Guys get it done every year, but if you're looking for a novice course on elk hunting, this ain't it.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I am still an Elk hunting newby. Hunted the Sawtooth region last year and the Salmon zone this year. Myself with two brothers and a BIL, three of us deer hunters with 3 different ideas on hunting elk. The 2 main mistake we were making was not getting up far enough, early enough, and 2nd, jumping around to too many places instead of focusing on one or two areas. We were finding lots of sign up above 8000' but did not spend enough time up there to actually find the elk. I was doing a lot of running and weights to prepare which made it more enjoyable going up those hills.

This year, I am hunting Colorado with my son and we are doing a drop camp.

Some big country, but it has everything. Elk, deer, black bears, grizz, wolves. It's the total package. If you've hunted CO you've got experience at elevation so that's a plus. I drive through there for work quite often, and if I don't decide to draw a general tag in Wyoming with my points I'll most likely be in Beaverhead myself. Been hunting Diamond Creek for the past few years, but it's insane how quick those tags have been selling. They might already be gone. Eastman must have done another article on that unit again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I tired to get the 76 unit last year just cause it was closer than others and looked decent by the numbers. I was surprised it sold out so quickly. So I put a "reminder" in my phone for this Dec to get on line and get one. I was fortunate, got one on Saturday night as I got busy and spaced the opening day of sales.
Looking forward to Idaho.
Drew out my LE tag this year, so all I can get here is a spike/cow- so I opted to get the ID tag for mid Sept to the end.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I tired to get the 76 unit last year just cause it was closer than others and looked decent by the numbers. I was surprised it sold out so quickly. So I put a "reminder" in my phone for this Dec to get on line and get one. I was fortunate, got one on Saturday night as I got busy and spaced the opening day of sales.
Looking forward to Idaho.
Drew out my LE tag this year, so all I can get here is a spike/cow- so I opted to get the ID tag for mid Sept to the end.
PM me if you have any questions about that unit. I didn't get one for it this year but I can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
I have to thank all the guys that have given some great info / advice on my general education of western elk hunting. One question i keep running up against is identifying terrain type on google earth and Onx maps. Now depending on the time those areas where photographed and then any additional photos people put up , its hard to tell what type of vegetation is present. Some areas look like barren desserts with patches of evergreens.

Anyone have a suggestion of where else i can go to research / learn more about the landscape? I will of course be buying US maps for mu compass later on but that doesn't show real life terrain as of today

Paul

I have to thank all the guys that have given some great info / advice on my general education of western elk hunting. One question i keep running up against is identifying terrain type on google earth and Onx maps. Now depending on the time those areas where photographed and then any additional photos people put up , its hard to tell what type of vegetation is present. Some areas look like barren desserts with patches of evergreens.

Anyone have a suggestion of where else i can go to research / learn more about the landscape? I will of course be buying US maps for mu compass later on but that doesn't show real life terrain as of today

Paul

Those are what I use. Plus topos at times. In general, the shittier the terrain the better chance of elk (especially bulls) being there. Further away from people isn't always better, and a steep mountain hillside is your friend. Pick areas you know are holding elk from sign, even if you can't put eyes on them for days.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Google earth helps a lot. I have been downloading Colorado overlays sonI am sure Idaho has them as well.

I know where my drop camp will be and can look at the terrain and target areas that i want to hunt.