Idaho 2018 !!??

pbcarch

WKR
Ok want to reach out to all the veterans on here and get your collective opinion.

I am planning our first DIY Elk hunt (archery) for 2018 and Idaho is my choice to start our career (it will be a total of 3 in our group, all eastfolk)

I have broken down my zone/unit choices to 2 (not going to say which ones because thats not what this is about). One choice which I am really leaning towards (lets call it "A") is going to be a really tough unit, public land up the wazoo, low pressure, very limited tags, not tons of elk but they are there and as what i have learned , "you need to go find them". Thisa of course comes with lots of learning, research , boots on the ground and plain and simple experience. The second choice (Lets call it "B") seems by all accounts seems to have much more elk, more moderate pressure and the terrain is a lot more varied with unlimited tags (unlimited is a loose term in Idaho since they do have an over all cap)
We as group want to learn how to hunt elk, experience the back country of our great nation and simply soak in the nature. We are all willing to work and work hard. We all hope this to be one of many more years to come.

So what would your thoughts be in choosing an area? area A or B and why ?

Paul

Truth- either one you will have a great time.

Less pressure areas even with fewer elk, allow you to call with greater success in the later part of the season and not have them as call shy. You have less chance of hunters ruining a set up, or camping in the wrong area where elk frequent.

More pressured areas with more elk, give more opportunities, but they develop call weariness.
Sometimes opportunities are what you should look at. The more the better.

Being your first time, I would go with an area that allows as many "elk encounters" as possible so the elk can teach you great lessons.
It isn't always just filling the tag as it is the experience and encounters.
Some Idaho units let you come back if you are unsuccessful and hunt either sex in rifle season or even muzzle season.
I kind of use that as part of my area to pick as well.

Either way- it's a journey, and the elk are part of that- you guys and the experiences are the stars everything else is second to that.

ElkNut1

WKR
It sounds like you've described all of Idahos OTC units! (grin) Pick one that gives you the experience you are looking for! Forget about hunter stats & success rates, they are deceiving!

ElkNut/Paul

Sorry, I'd like to throw in my two cents to help but I don't think there's enough info to have a decent answer. I'd really recommend just posting your zones. There are no secrets as far as which zones have various pros and cons.

I think it's smart to keep an eye on the elk population and hunter pressure. Some units are at or over objectives while others aren't, something to keep in mind. I think success rates can be useful to some extent. I'd call a biologist and pick their brain.

Choose an area and stick with it to improve your chances. I'd read/listen to Randy Newburg and the Elk Nut to learn more about archery elk hunting.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Idaho , because you asked ......

I didnt want to sway anyone based upon data etc because this , our first Elk hunt, cant be predicated solely on killing a bull . Thats why but you asked . I am looking at Lolo and Pioneer zones. Yes i know the numbers for both and I also now in some ways numbers are meaningless if you what you are doing and on the other hand if you DONT know what you are doing.

Yes i have talked to the biologist and local zone wardens. Yes I am doing tons of web based scouting, Yes i am completely clueless and reading books, article, web sites etc. Yes i am learning to call and learning when and how to respond thanks to Mr.Elknut ;) Yes i am not even remotely close to knowing 1% of what i should know about elk hunting BUT it sure is exciting and i love challenges (if a mule is stubborn then i am a pack of mules)

In many ways i have made my mind for Lolo I am just sort looking to see if someone comes back at me and says, "dude you are freakin nuts your going to die out their "

So far i have done a fair amount of research but not enough for me. I still got 9 months to go !!

Paul

ElkNut1

WKR
Paul, we talked on the phone, I shared with you which one was best. You will be sorry if you choose otherwise, you will see! In the end it's up to you but I was honest with you & the reasons why. Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul

I would really listen hard to Paul. What a stud of a hunter and great guy.

I'm not really familiar with the Lolo Zone. From a quick peek at the numbers and public land, I think it should be at least decent. It had a big elk herd until getting nailed by wolves. It looks like it has responded back pretty well with elk increasing in numbers as wolf predation has calmed a bit. It definitely didn't have those kind of numbers 5 years ago. I think the elk population overall is going to be relatively low with lower densities. It looks like hunter numbers are quite low also.

I think the Pioneer Zone is the better choice because there are just a lot more elk. For a beginner, I think you'll likely botch a lot of encounters and it would increase your learning to be around elk rather than seeing beautiful trees and empty landscapes. From what I've heard, you'll have to work to get away from hunters in the area, but it's doable. Those are big units and if you get away from roads and trails, you can get some quiet. I don't think they are pressured to the point where they aren't callable and calling during the night will help get responses anyways. There's also greater trophy potential because the rifle hunt in the Pioneer Zone is controlled. I think it's not a no-brainer but there is a better unit, unless you really prefer more of a wilderness experience and are comfortable with looking for a while before getting into elk. I kind of like that myself.

Pick one and stick with it.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
It's not so bad to chose incorrectly if you are and hour or two away.....but a 34 hour drive each way is a bit longer ......cant convince the wife that the entire family needs to move out west either, i tried.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Paul, we talked on the phone, I shared with you which one was best. You will be sorry if you choose otherwise, you will see! In the end it's up to you but I was honest with you & the reasons why. Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul

ElkNut does phone consults? Where do I sign up? Hahahahaha. :D

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude your going to die out there🤙 First time elk hunting, you want more fun, encounters and learning opportunities. Elk hunting is work and until you bag a few and or have fun interactions, along with learning the ropes, go the easier hunt and more opportunity route. Good luck👍

blkqi

WKR
Time of year is going to be a big factor too, but given the provided information and your goals for the trip, I would take the hunt with the lower chance of human encounter.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
thanks guys for all the insight . decision reversed....cant wait till tags open up on 12/1 !

I would also go with the area that is likely to give the most encounters. You need every opportunity possible to make it happen as a first time elk hunter. I went out in 2016 for my first hunt and came back empty handed, but in '17 i was able to take my first elk after learning the area the previous year. Timing and conditions will dictate hunting pressure somewhat from what i saw.

If you are use to hunting pressured land back east then the west will seem empty. lol

BullElk

FNG
thanks guys for all the insight . decision reversed....cant wait till tags open up on 12/1 !

I get the impression by your initial post that you don't quite understand what those objectives listed in the regs mean.

hopefully your reversed decision works out well for you...
"The second choice (Lets call it "B") seems by all accounts seems to have much more elk":rolleyes:

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
mat,
how about 2 guys on a 10ac lot allowed in treestands only? Yes its only our place and we do back up to some land (all wooded) then roads, houses and "mountains" + not far from plenty of corn fields. At least they are called mountains here (sourland montains). BTW there are tons of deer here with all my permits and tags in , with a bow i can take 4 bucks and unlimited amount of does. and i could . I have 2 in the freezer already and i am simply being picky. All the rest will go to the food shelter to help out.

So is Idaho a little bigger than this?

Paul

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
bull,
did i mention how stubborn i was, like a pack of mules ;)
yes i saw the objectives, read them and grasped them but ...again i am from the east, what do i know ?

Paul

BullElk

FNG
bull,
did i mention how stubborn i was, like a pack of mules ;)
yes i saw the objectives, read them and grasped them but ...again i am from the east, what do i know ?

Paul

I don't think being stubborn plays into the equation here..let me explain.

if the objective for unit X is 100 bulls and the unit has 105. its over objective. the same applies for the elk pop objective. 105 bulls does not mean there are A LOT OF ELK....

7Bartman

WKR
As a fellow East Coaster I'd go with the less rugged unit. I'm a healthy 37 and I've trained hard the last 2 years before heading out to Idaho and the altitude can be a real killer. I think seeing elk and hearing bugles will be an awesome experience for everyone in your group. I wouldn't have high expectations, but rather would just go and learn the game. Good luck on your journey!