Colorado OTC dates?

bwlacy

WKR
We are heading back to Colorado in the fall for a diy back country archery hunt in an OTC unit. If you could go September 1st -15th or the 8th - 22nd which would you do and why?

I'd say it depends on where you're going and your hunting style and if it's going to bug you having muzzy hunters running around during your second week. They're certainly more vocal the later you go, but some areas will get overrun with people and push them into a different pattern just when you might be starting to figure it out. If it were me and I was hunting public land I'd go with the earlier date to avoid a change in pattern mid-hunt.

As both a muzzy and archery hunter I will say that I don't believe that the shots from muzzleloaders bother them much at all, but simply more people walking around in the woods bumping into them is going to have an effect.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Well both weeks will overlap with muzzle loader. We will be in South west Colorado, but may end up in a different unit do to pressure, or no elk, etc... This will be our second trip there. We went in 2015 and didn't see a lot of people. Saw a lot of old sign and a few elk. We went early and they weren't talking at all so we were planning on going later hoping to be able to hear them.

Last edited:
Then it sounds like you answered your own question. From all the info I can gather any of the weeks after labor day can have good bulging action but none of them are guaranteed as weather, pressure, etc can all play a part.

What I find amazing is the born and raised guys consistently getting on bugles for like 35 days now.

Makes me think once you find elk that time of year if you cover enough ground eventually one will want to play

By the law of averages if they can do it consistently say 25 out of 35 or something then if I take a month off next year I should be good for at least 2 or 3 chances

I live down near those areas and hunted the entire season in both 2016 and 2017. I didn’t hear but a few bugles either year. It’s not as hot later in the season, which is what would help me make my decision.

Well both weeks will overlap with muzzle loader. We will be in unit 70, but may end up in 71 do to pressure, or no elk, etc... This will be our second trip there. We went in 2015 and didn't see a lot of people. Saw a lot of old sign and a few elk. We went early and they weren't talking at all so we were planning on going later hoping to be able to hear them.

I just noticed how stupid early the season dates are for 2018. I'd go the last 2 weeks for sure. If you aren't going to hunt above treeline I'd want to be as late as possible.

xziang

WKR
Opening weekend for me this year there was a ton of people in the area I have been hunting. (shocked me) I then went back the last week and was amazed for there were only 2 -3 cars that I saw in the area. If you know the area and have a good idea of where the elk might be before being bumped and push may want to go opening weekend. If you want to possibly hear them and get them more responsive to calls I would lean towards later. However this philosophy didn't work for me this year so take it with a grain of salt.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I edited my earlier post to remove the units so as not to mess up anyone's hunting by saying we didn't see many people a few years ago.

cnelk

WKR
The 8th -22nd for sure.
You should get the 'pre-rut' and start of the rut activity.

Pre-rut has been my money time, but Ive kilt them every week of season too