Lifetime of elk hunting...

Thanks for sharing. An amazing human being, and darn-good still hunter from the sounds of it. I wish the article discussed his tactics in greater depth, but it's understandable that it didn't.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, not sure if he's a tracker or what, but like so many of these old boys, they kill 'em close range

Swede

WKR
These old guys are great. What they reflect on is about the experience and the feelings they have for the hunts. The buck or bull is a foot note. The old videos on hunts are the same. Larry D. Jones and company, like others got one or two elk at the most, but they had a complete hunt. Failures were apart of the experience. Hard work was normal and the animals were the same as we see on our hunts.

Beendare

WKR
Well i'm one of those "Old School"elk hunters and I can tell you tactics have changed a lot over the years.

Remember back 20-30years ago there weren't nearly the amount of hunters in the woods during Archery seasons anyway....still a bunch of rifle guys.

Then Calling- Ha it wasn't nearly as sophisticated...heck there were still guys using a gas pipe as a bugle when I started

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Me too, not sure if he's a tracker or what, but like so many of these old boys, they kill 'em close range

A lot of my "rifle elk" over the years were archery range kills, and the longest was only a little over 200. In fact, the last rifle bull I shot was between 20 and 25 yards in the timber, and the entire time I was standing there waiting for a shot I was thinking I should have had a bow in my hands. The next year I did. I had my most fun and success "still hunting" bedding areas. But I sure wish I could have found a bow to fit back then. I remember buying a bow out of a catalog when I was in high school. I knew nothing about draw length etc, and I didn't enjoy it much then. But being LH and 32 1/2" draw now I realize why, the bow wasn't even close to fitting me. But when I did finally switch over to bowhunting elk I took to it like a fish to water.