Elk Hunting Rifle Combos - Tikkas Go or No Go?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon Elk hunters. I am new to this site and I am very excited about reading some of the entries and being able to ask all of you your advice or opinions on different things concerning Elk hunting. I have only been on one elk hunt and that was last year when some friends and I drew tags for an archery hunt in New Mexico. Now we are from North Alabama so you can imagine how different this was going to be for us all around. Neither one of us got lucky but we all got really close. We all were able to draw back on nice bulls well within bow range but if you bow hunt you know things have to be just right. We plan to go back as long as we draw tags and plan this time on doing a rifle hunt. In the mean time I have been setting up one of my newest rifle additions as my elk gun. I have a new browning 300 win mag xbolt composite stock which I enjoy shooting. My everyday hunting gun is a browning x bolt .308 which I enjoy but here lately I have been on this new toy kick and I am looking at a different brand of rifle just for fun. I have been looking at the tikkas. Everything I have read and people I have talked to have gave them great reviews. Now I will probably invest into a .308 since that is what I hunt with the most around here but I am sure I can set that up as a backup elk gun. So what do you think about that idea and what do you think about that brand? If some of you have them in general what loads do you shot, etc. Thanks

ChukarUp

FNG
I have a Tikka T3 Superlite stainless fluted in 30-06 as my one do-it-all rifle. Favorite rifle I've ever owned. I put a nice 3-10 scope on Talley rings to keep it as light as possible. Mine is very accurate with Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr. I would definitely recommend Tikka, love mine.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My tikka 7mm was purchased in 03 and is my only hunting rifle for elk and deer. Can recommend them highly for accuracy and dependability. I shootin a Hornady as well out of it 154 ssts. A solid all mountain gun👍

cuttdog

FNG
I have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM and it is a fantastic gun. I have put down 3 elk and 5 mule deer with it and have no complaints. I know it is not a .308 but in reference to general information about the 'brand," these guns are accurate shooters and are super light which makes for an awesome elk hunting gun. For the great price these guns are spectactular, I would highly recommend if your interested in not spending a ton of money.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of folks run tikkas here, nice guns. Not to spiral the conversation TOO much but might as well grab the 30-06 if wanting a 30cal non-magnum. You already have the action length for it (unless you want to reload high BC bullets long by running the 308 as a long action) so might as well grab the extra FPS and slightly flatter trajectory for a given bullet. Its still a bread a butter cartridge and only mildly more expensive that 308 and not magnum if worried about recoil.

Personally I have a stock Tikka T3 in 7-08, a 280AI built on a Tikka M695 and due any day is another one built on a long action Tikka T3x (300wsm). The 280AI while a custom barrel is factory action/trigger/bolt and went 100% on 7tags this fall, I'm quite comfortable/confident in Tikkas. :)

Last edited:

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I just tagged out in October on a decent cow in AZ. Used my Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless in 30.06 with Nosler Trophy Grade 150GR Partition. One shot and dropped. Great gun and a tack driver.

View attachment 62487

My next rifle will be a Tikka Superlite in 300 Win Mag for elk because I like to punish myself with recoil. I’d like to echo the notion that you might as well get a long action caliber because Tikka’s come in one action length. 30-06 is never a bad choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom338

FNG
The new T3 x rifles seem not to shoot as well as the older T3 lites. I have not seen a new x model that is not extremely fussy on ammo or won't shoot MOA no matter what. But have only seen 6-7 of them....

FURMAN

WKR
Tikkas are awesome rifles as long as it’s not a magnum or you don’t reload. The magazines are too short for the better bullets in magnum cartridges when loaded correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless that changed something in their barrels or chambering processes that seems odd. Other than the ejection port being a little different the action is otherwise the same. First I heard that feedback by the way.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tikkas are awesome rifles as long as it’s not a magnum or you don’t reload. The magazines are too short for the better bullets in magnum cartridges when loaded correctly.

Unless its a WSM with the long action bolt stop. ;) Then you have TONS of room.

FURMAN

WKR
Unless its a WSM with the long action bolt stop. ;) Then you have TONS of room.

Agreed but it will not have the horsepower of the Win Mag. It is an awesome cartridge though. You will still have the issue with Tikkas slow twists.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Agreed but it will not have the horsepower of the Win Mag. It is an awesome cartridge though. You will still have the issue with Tikkas slow twists.

Eh, you give up a bit but not a ton in the grand scheme (a few percent overall in velocity). Never thought about the factory twist issue since I'm just using the action (mine will have a 9.5twist).

The new T3 x rifles seem not to shoot as well as the older T3 lites. I have not seen a new x model that is not extremely fussy on ammo or won't shoot MOA no matter what. But have only seen 6-7 of them....

Aw man this would be a shame. What do you think the problem is?

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
I own a tikka t3 x and mine is a tack driver! Love it

slick

WKR
Have a 300WM T3x and agreed on being a tack driver. First time out, 5 shots. First 2 on the board next 3 less than an inch with Hornady 180s. Hunting buddies both shoot 300wsm Tikka T3s and between the 3 have taken 12 elk over 5 years.

Only have a 2-7 Leopold on it. Should probably throw a 4-14on it. Don't reload, but don't plan on shooting past 4-500. And I think with the right factory ammo I won't have a problem.

Go for it. They're a dream. Would like to customize it, but am having a hard time justifying it when it really doesn't need anything.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my last two elk with a Tikka T3x .308 and 155 scenars. I would not be sizing up from that personally, but to each their own.

tttoadman

WKR
I shoot the Tikka T3 .270. I bought the all black synthetic and did a full Cerakote on it. I shoot the Barnes TTSX 130. I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16. Really love this gun and this setup. I have put elk down well at 350ish.