Colorado OTC 2nd Rifle

My wife and I will be hunting elk 2nd Rifle in 2018 and I am wondering about unit 74. Its a little closer to where we are stationed and I can also draw a deer tag pretty easy. (As per GoHunt) We will scout it as much as we can this summer, but how crowded does it get up there during that hunt? We are both in really good shape so hiking is not an issue in trying to get away and pack out. Thanks in advance.

Reece

A lot of folks come up from Texas and hunt that unit and the units outside Pagosa Springs. A family friend hunts there and probably comes out with an elk every other year or so but they have been hunting it for years. I think you’ll see lots of people but mostly flatlanders that you can hike away from pretty easily if you’re amenable. 2nd rifle is very crowded everywhere, so don’t try so hard to avoid people. Just accept it and out work the inevitable company you’ll be sharing the unit with. It’s good elk country down there along the southern border, which aside from being close to Texas, is the reason it’s a popular area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thank you! That’s really what I figured. Hike and use the people to push the bulls around. I appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I will be hunting elk 2nd Rifle in 2018 and I am wondering about unit 74. Its a little closer to where we are stationed and I can also draw a deer tag pretty easy. (As per GoHunt) We will scout it as much as we can this summer, but how crowded does it get up there during that hunt? We are both in really good shape so hiking is not an issue in trying to get away and pack out. Thanks in advance.

Reece
Did you kill an elk?