CO Points to Burn - What Season?

gelton

WKR
My dad and I have some points to burn in 2018 and have narrowed it down to 49 and 501 with the edge looking to be 49. For 49 it looks like we can get drawn for Archery or 2nd Rifle. I have a trade show that I have to attend in Amsterdam that kicks off on the 13th which means if we choose Archery we can plan a 14 day hunt from August 25th - September 8th. Definitely not the peak of the rut. My dad has a shoulder injury and thinks he can be ready for bowhunting by then but he isnt right now.

Second Rifle is wide open for both of us but it is a shorter time in the mountains and from my experience alot can change between archery and 2nd rifle.

Which season would you choose and why?

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
If you pick the archery season you get the first shot at them, but it will likely be hot (although you still may get snow) and the elk might not yet be talking much that early. If you pick second season, they've been chased around by archery, muzzleloader and first rifle hunters. Weather will be a crap shoot- should be hot and dry or could be a couple feet of snow. The elk also won't be talking much as it's pretty far past the rut. My recommendation is to either save point for a couple more years or, if you're set on using them, I'd pick the season by how you like to hunt and what weather/scenery you want to hunt in. Given your options I'd pick the archery season- 14 days spent in the mountains during late August/early September is pretty damn tough to beat.