2018 Idaho Archery Elk hunt unit 76/66a

I am in the beginning stages of planning my first Archery Elk hunt. I selected Idaho as my destination. Unit 76 seems like a good unit to go back country, camp anywhere and maybe see some elk too. GoHunt description is a relatively easy unit to hike in and hunt. Can be crowded but its big. Any help would be very appreciated. Any information on unit 76, best areas or areas to avoid. Good camping areas, creeks, etc. Grizzly country or just black bears?
thank you for your help!

Ha I just got my tag for 76 and 66a the 1st of Dec. I am gonna make some trips up there this summer ( I live in Utah). Looks like it will be a better area than where I planned before. Hoping it isn't too crowded, I am thinking of getting a deer tag as well.

A lot will have to do with the winter this year, the reporting of harvests from 2017, the weather next year and how many tags they sell.

It will be a great hunt no matter what. Gotta love the mountains.

john2

FNG
I am in the beginning stages of planning my first Archery Elk hunt. I selected Idaho as my destination. Unit 76 seems like a good unit to go back country, camp anywhere and maybe see some elk too. GoHunt description is a relatively easy unit to hike in and hunt. Can be crowded but its big. Any help would be very appreciated. Any information on unit 76, best areas or areas to avoid. Good camping areas, creeks, etc. Grizzly country or just black bears?
thank you for your help!

If you want to hunt Unit 76 you will have to wait till 2019 and try. The tags for 2018 sold out first day.
Have been hunting this unit since 2006 and used to get tags otc after getting to Idaho. For the past 7 or 8 years would just wait and buy them online, generally in July/August, as the number of tags dwindled down. This year I took a look at the tag quota online in May and the tags were sold out. Needless to say I was sitting at my computer when they went on sale for 2018.
We have only hunted in a small area not far from Montpelier and it does get crowded at times but there is lots of country to look at. There is also lots of water and creeks in the area we hunt and thank goodness just black bears. I feel overall the hunting is pretty decent and I'm getting old so need some easier terrain to hunt lol.

OP
Bigtmiller
Really?? I just talked to Fish and Game on Wednesday and they got my Archery Affidavit set up for me. They never said the unit was sold out. that sucks. Any advice on another unit that is not too rugged and has a fair number of elk that a rookie could hunt and hike without to much trouble. Backpack hunt. Solo.

Thanks

john2

FNG
UPDATE. I just purchased my unit 76 A elk tag!

Bigtmiller, my apologies for the confusion. They must have been having some issues with the tag database on the first day. I got my tag but was not able to get one for my son, when logging in with his info the option for Diamond Creek was no longer in the list of tags available. Glad it worked out for you.

Update: Appears the Archery Affidavit is the reason tag did not show up for son as he has never hunted Idaho before. Would have been nice if the lady at Idaho Game and Fish would have told be that when I called trying to find out information.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you want to hunt Unit 76 you will have to wait till 2019 and try. The tags for 2018 sold out first day.
Have been hunting this unit since 2006 and used to get tags otc after getting to Idaho. For the past 7 or 8 years would just wait and buy them online, generally in July/August, as the number of tags dwindled down. This year I took a look at the tag quota online in May and the tags were sold out. Needless to say I was sitting at my computer when they went on sale for 2018.
We have only hunted in a small area not far from Montpelier and it does get crowded at times but there is lots of country to look at. There is also lots of water and creeks in the area we hunt and thank goodness just black bears. I feel overall the hunting is pretty decent and I'm getting old so need some easier terrain to hunt lol.
You are giving out wrong info. They didn't sell out in the first day. I pulled them up on my license cart yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
UPDATE. I just purchased my unit 76 A elk tag!
Ha, you and I were having a conversation on GoHunt lol. Gotta love those credit card companies and their fraud protections.

OP
Bigtmiller
Yeah, I do appreciate the fraud protection, but sometimes it gets to be a pain. No I did not see how many were left. That page will not come up, plus I do not think it is updated yet either. Just remember if you do not have your Archery education certificate typed in or get a Archery affidavit the unit will not show up on the selection list.

john2

FNG
You are giving out wrong info. They didn't sell out in the first day. I pulled them up on my license cart yesterday.

You are correct sir and I mentioned that a later post, actually the one just above yours. I had no problem getting my tag but when my son tried the Diamond Creek didn't show up, so after a call to the IDF&G and them saying they must be sold out already I assumed that was the reason. Turns out there is a relatively new requirement to have a Archery Education number or Archery affidavit before it will show up in your cart. Also this not highlighted as necessary in your "Profile". Was not intentionally trying to mislead anyone. Sorry for any confusion I created.

Take Care,
John

sneaky

"DADDY"
You are correct sir and I mentioned that a later post, actually the one just above yours. I had no problem getting my tag but when my son tried the Diamond Creek didn't show up, so after a call to the IDF&G and them saying they must be sold out already I assumed that was the reason. Turns out there is a relatively new requirement to have a Archery Education number or Archery affidavit before it will show up in your cart. Also this not highlighted as necessary in your "Profile". Was not intentionally trying to mislead anyone. Sorry for any confusion I created.

Take Care,
John
No worries. They certainly need to highlight that during the license selection process, just like they need to have tag availability numbers ready the day they start selling them. That would eliminate the near panic that people are experiencing right now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, I do appreciate the fraud protection, but sometimes it gets to be a pain. No I did not see how many were left. That page will not come up, plus I do not think it is updated yet either. Just remember if you do not have your Archery education certificate typed in or get a Archery affidavit the unit will not show up on the selection list.
To answer your question from GoHunt. Yes, the area right below 34 holds elk, you just need to get away from the trailheads. Gorgeous country in that area, you'll have a good time in there.

cuttdog

FNG

Take Care,
John

What do you know about the Archery affidavit? I have archery hunted MT a lot but never archery hunted ID before. Always do a rifle hunt in ID but I was just curious about this Archery affadavit as I haven't heard of it before.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What do you know about the Archery affidavit? I have archery hunted MT a lot but never archery hunted ID before. Always do a rifle hunt in ID but I was just curious about this Archery affadavit as I haven't heard of it before.
It's a form you can print off and either fax or email to ID F&G that certifies you have either taken a Bowhunter certification course, or that you've held an archery license in another state previously. You can't purchase a NR archery tag, usually the A tags, without having a copy of it on file.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck.I'm ultra pissed I literally waited a minute too long buying my tag. First time I don't get to hunt my traditional stomping grounds by myself.

Last edited: