Wallows, elk v cow

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
We usually hunt Archery season in Colorado. A couple of places I’ve found some wallows. But there are always some free range cattle in the area. So will elk use these wallows if used by the cattle? Is it a good place to set up if the weather is hot? Just trying to educate myself before next Archery season. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
It has been my observation that elk will use wallows where cattle drink in eastern Oregon. If the cattle numbers get too high, the elk move out of the area after a short while.
Elk will normally wait until the cattle leave a spring, but will come in right after. I know of elk grazing in the same meadow with cattle, so there are no hard and fast rules.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to sit on a wallow buy a bear tag also. I have multiple trail cam shots of bears borrowing elk wallows. Oh yeah, lots of patience is needed. Elk aren't bothered by cattle unless they shit up their wallows or water source which doesn't normally happen with a few cows.

Bacwest

FNG
I do not have a ton of experience hunting wallows but have hunted an area for 5 years where elk and cattle are both thriving, we have seen the cattle hanging in the open for the most part and the elk up on hillsides and more apt to be near timber.

They will use them, but the best spots have minimal cattle interference. Also, it's been my experience that water holes (areas that elk drink from) are better than wallows although they can do both in the same area.