Montana Late Shoulder Season

It seems the unseasonably warm weather is making hunting tough down on the private ground. I talked with a few landowners that are more than happy to let me on, but they said the elk haven't moved down.

I was planning on coming out this Thursday (12/14), but may have to make other arrangements now. Seems like a waste of time and money to come out knowing that the elk seem to be sitting on safe ground for now.

Any of you guys having luck during this shoulder season?

I'm willing to go just about anywhere in MT, so any helpful information is greatly appreciated!

Herd Bull

FNG
We got into a large heard at 6000' two weeks and successfully took two cows. SW montana picked up another few inches of snow this week with more snow on the forecast. There's definitely snow in the high country but in the intermediate elevations I could see herds hanging out in that zone, up and out of private land. Shoulder season is all about right time right place. If you have access to a private ranch, I would wait until you get reports of the herds coming out to hunt if you are traveling.