Beaverhead area Idaho

gabenzeke

WKR
What is the pressure like in these units? I've spent the last two seasons hunting Colorado, and I'm curious if the pressure is similar. We've got our minds set up on hunting Idaho this year, just wondering about the pressure. Also curious if the grizzlies are thick here or just chance encounters?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ahawk116

FNG
I’ve hunted just across the mountain in Montana. No grizzly sign that we saw. I can’t speak to the Hunting pressure on the other side of the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My group has hunted the Beaverhead unit the last 4 years. Hunting pressure has gone up every year and this past fall we saw more hunters than any year prior. We took a drive one mid-day to check out another area, we saw 6 wheelers/side-by-sides, 5 trucks and 4 horses....and we only drove about 6 miles. The 4 wheeler trails and truck routes make getting back in too easy and really increases hunting pressure unfortunately. We're currently researching different units in ID to hunt for next fall.

In terms of bears, this past fall was the first time we had any bear encounters in our 4 years of hunting ID. Two guys in our group ran into a grizzly one evening on their way back to camp. Thankfully the griz ran when it spotted them. I also saw a decent sized black bear one evening as I slipped down the edge of a pine stand. I started carrying bear spray after my buddies saw the grizzly.

I hunt the Beaverhead zone. Hunting pressure is pretty bad and seems to get worse each year. Wolves are getting worse (every where in Idaho) and the Grizzlies are increasing. Also see cat sign every year but have only actually seen one. Not sure it that makes me feel better or worse. I carry spray and my S&W 329pd. Beaverhead is a big zone, but there is a lot of access so it gets hit pretty hard.

FreeRange

WKR
I've hunted just over the valley from what's technically the Beaverhead and it's similar terrain, the one big problem I notice is with it being such open country it really lends itself to ATV abuse so be prepared for that. Can't speak to hunting pressure specifically but I know I'd rather share an area with 5 bowhunters on foot vs one yahoo on an ATV.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Thanks everyone. I believe I may search for another OTC unit. Looking at maps the terrain was really open anyway which kind of makes me nervous. I feel more confident with a bit more cover and some open meadows here and there. We're looking for any legal elk, so just trying to stick to units with higher success rates.

Don't let the high success rates of the Beaverhead zone fool you. There is quite a bit of private land in one section of the zone that ALOT of that percentage comes from. The rest of the zone is like most others around 10-15%.

PF_JM

FNG
Lots of archery bull hunters, lots of cow hunters, lots of ATVs, lots of private land. It can get pretty combative up on the mountain too.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Don't let the high success rates of the Beaverhead zone fool you. There is quite a bit of private land in one section of the zone that ALOT of that percentage comes from. The rest of the zone is like most others around 10-15%.
Good point. I noticed the private land, but kind of figured the limit on rifle tags would make the success rates a tiny bit better. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I don't hunt that zone but another one with more bad press. I don't think there's a zone in ID that tons of people aren't saying is bad in these forums. Lots of negative

Unit 39 maybe gets the worse rap because of the high hunter numbers but there's also a lot of elk. I see elk there almost every day I'm in the area. ElkNut kills it yearly in a unit with terrible harvest statistics.

You really have to use google maps, boots on the ground, harvest stats, while taking these comments with a grain of salt.

Agree with Idahohikker. Especially his comments about scouting, both virtual and real. It's hard to look at just google maps and harvest stats and come into a unit with any clue. Almost every access point will have people who hunt there. But that is not to say that with a little work, any unit can and does have "honey holes" that make for a great elk hunt. I know people who hunt Island Park and have a spot they go and rarely run into other hunters, and that is probably one of the busiest units. Same with Tex and Diamond Creek zones. It's all about putting in the work over the years to find a good area.

Good luck! If you do decide to hunt Beaverhead, shoot me a PM closer to the season and I may be able to share some intel on the areas you are looking at. It took me several years of trying a few different areas before I found where I am at now, so I know several of the drainages.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Agree with Idahohikker. Especially his comments about scouting, both virtual and real. It's hard to look at just google maps and harvest stats and come into a unit with any clue. Almost every access point will have people who hunt there. But that is not to say that with a little work, any unit can and does have "honey holes" that make for a great elk hunt. I know people who hunt Island Park and have a spot they go and rarely run into other hunters, and that is probably one of the busiest units. Same with Tex and Diamond Creek zones. It's all about putting in the work over the years to find a good area.

Good luck! If you do decide to hunt Beaverhead, shoot me a PM closer to the season and I may be able to share some intel on the areas you are looking at. It took me several years of trying a few different areas before I found where I am at now, so I know several of the drainages.
I know we're a ways out, but if I ran my current potential plan by you, could you tell me if I'm way off base? Boots on the ground this year is unlikely. We may be driving to Seattle this summer, and IF that happens, I'm hoping to talk the wife into an overnight in the area for me to at least put on a couple miles on the ground to get a feel, but might be going in with just internet Intel, which is a detriment. Hopefully not so much so that we can't get into at least a few elk.