how does Utah work for elk tags?

TauPhi111

WKR
Can someone please clarify the ways to get an elk tag in Utah? My only western hunting experience has been one Colorado elk hunt, and I understand their system, but after looking through the Utah big game guide, I am not yet clear on the different ways to get a tag there. I see they have general season and general archery units, and they have limited entry units. Are the general season units OTC, or are all elk tags in the lottery system? I have heard there are OTC spike tags, but the units that have them generally don't have many spike elk. Are there any OTC tags of any kind? Please clarify this for me. My brother lives in SLC, and I'd really like to plan and go on a hunt with him.

Thanks!!

1. Wait forever for your tags.
2. Mix of a bonus point system and random draw. I think it's 50/50 but others can correct.

General elk is OTC. They really suck and many UT residents avoid completely and go elsewhere. The Limited Entry hunts are good quality and the top ones are comparable with the top states in the West.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
1. Wait forever for your tags.
2. Mix of a bonus point system and random draw. I think it's 50/50 but others can correct.

You forgot #3; Just as your forever wait is about to end, corrupt SWF is allowed to steal NR tags to screw NR further and take the max points tags in most units away and make them all random.

I’m too far gone to quit now but once I draw that tag I am OUT of Utah. New Mexico lost my money a few years ago when they further locked out the DIY non resident. My opportunities are dwindling...:(

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
So if I want to hunt Utah elk, basically just start getting those points, eh? Does anyone have ANY good experiences with OTC tags?

TheTone

WKR
You forgot #3; Just as your forever wait is about to end, corrupt SWF is allowed to steal NR tags to screw NR further and take the max points tags in most units away and make them all random.

I’m too far gone to quit now but once I draw that tag I am OUT of Utah. New Mexico lost my money a few years ago when they further locked out the DIY non resident. My opportunities are dwindling...:(

And numbers 4 and 5:

Number 4:Be rich enough to buy a primo tag every year and not worry about the draw system
Number 5:be connected to a large amount of private land and "work" with the state to set up your own hunting unit where you pretty much set your own seasons, etc.

Utah's a mess and we should hope the way they are managing wildlife spreads as little as possible

twall13

WKR
As a Utah resident I have found some success with the OTC elk tags. They aren't easy hunts and are usually pretty crowded but there are elk out there if you work for them. Let me be clear, however, that I'm mostly a meat hunter. I kill a lot of raghorns and won't hesitate to shoot a spike if that's what I get an opportunity at. If you want to find a 300" or better bull in Utah you are likely looking at private land or a limited entry unit. There are always exceptions but I'd say that's a reasonable expectation.

I put in for the limited entry draw every year and plan on the general season OTC tag. At the rate things are going, the limited entry tags might as well be a once in a lifetime draw (at least for rifle). They are good tags if you get them, but then you are on a five year wait-list before you can even apply and start building points again.

Cow tags are another option in Utah that will up your odds of success.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow some pretty strange info from NR hunters here.
I like that
Keeps our odds as Residents higher.

First there is the premiere coveted LE tag.
Lotto type system.
Ave of 20 points needed to draw for rifle
Ave for bow is all over the place
- I drew LE archery this year with 6 points, another guy in same unit drew with 2

Next is archery OTC spike tag
- there are several seasons and weapon choices
- in archery spike only units you are allowed to shoot a cow or a spike

Next is Gen any bull OTC units
- here you can shoot any bull, and with archery I believe in most of these units a cow is allowed as well

Next is Cow tags
this is a draw
normally 1-2 points needed
but after next year the tag allotment will decrease as Game management will identify herd numbers to be where they want them
There are several season and weapon choices on these cow tags as well

There are many seasons to apply or OTC as you can see.
- archery, rifle, muzzle loader, early, mid, late and very late.....

If you have a relative in SL area he ought to guide you with no problem as to what to do ?

Hope this helps

There was just a thread a couple months ago where someone was looking for evidence that the UT general elk hunts aren't bad. They are.

There was just a thread a couple months ago where someone was looking for evidence that the UT general elk hunts aren't bad. They are.

No doubt there are over hunted, under elk areas.

A unit close to me as an any bull unit.
Its been that way for around 6 years.
The first year it was awesome, but outfitters took advantage and slaughtered every bull, and cows left
Rumor within local groups is some activity is revising itself, but once the helicopters and planes fly over- they will again be eliminated for the $$$ into some pocket books

I tag out elk every year, usually 2 elk a year

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at archery numbers south slope Yellowstone has a success rate of about 16%. I have not seen Colorado archery otc units with much higher percentage.

Thomas11

WKR
I drew a UT LE elk this yr w 4 points. It can be done and some units actually have decent odds of drawing. And by decent I mean 5-10%. That’s not terrible odds considering today’s point games for most states. Their OTC rags are generally not considered as good as CO OTC

LateRiser

FNG
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what if I happen to know a private land owner in Utah (large, like 7 figure acreage type landowner)?. Do landowers get private tags, regardless of whether they do outfitting?

My connection is through my company - I know the guy whose family owns the land, but wasn't aware until recently how much they had. He's not a hunter, so never talked about it with him. I've been invited to go snowmobiling on the land, but that bores me to tears.

If it's not obvious, East Coast guy here, only experience out west is CO, and my buddies organized the trip - I just bought the tags.

UtahJimmy

WKR
So if I want to hunt Utah elk, basically just start getting those points, eh? Does anyone have ANY good experiences with OTC tags?
Since you have to buy a license to get points, hunt OTC each year or every other (buy your license in the middle of application period, this allows you to get two applications in under one 365 day license).

If you are an archery hunter you can hunt for spikes/cows in an LE unit to get to know the unit while you build points. The LE tags run 1 extra week than the OTC spike.

Utah is definitely managed for $$$ but there are plenty of opportunities to be had. If success in your eyes is about killing a decent bull, I'd look elsewhere. If it's about being out on a hunt with friends and family, enjoying the views, and being happy with meat in the freezer, then make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what if I happen to know a private land owner in Utah (large, like 7 figure acreage type landowner)?. Do landowers get private tags, regardless of whether they do outfitting?

My connection is through my company - I know the guy whose family owns the land, but wasn't aware until recently how much they had. He's not a hunter, so never talked about it with him. I've been invited to go snowmobiling on the land, but that bores me to tears.

If it's not obvious, East Coast guy here, only experience out west is CO, and my buddies organized the trip - I just bought the tags.

Landowners don't automatically get landowner tags, but depending on the area, I believe they can get some by requesting them through the DNR. My only experience with a landowner tag was less than stellar and I'm by no means an expert on this topic. I was told to get a "landowner cow tag" OTC and I could come hunt the property. The landowner had a voucher that I was then supposed to match up with the tag I had purchased. I purchased the tag, and then the landowner said the elk had left his property and so he didn't want me coming to hunt anymore. So I basically made a donation to the DNR for the cow tag and didn't get to hunt. Oh well, live and learn. He was letting me hunt his property for free and he has the right to change his mind. I bring up this experience only to show my limited knowledge of the landowner tag process. I still had to purchase a tag from the DNR, but then match it up with the landowner voucher. In that particular area, the DNR was handing out "as many cow vouchers as you want" (so I was told by the landowner) to the landowners as the elk were causing some problems with the local crops/farmers. Most land owners with vouchers turn around and sell them to recoup the costs of some of their lost crops, or property damaged by wildlife, etc. In my case it was supposed to be free (I'm sure that would have been different had it been a bull elk tag) so if the landowner was willing to request some vouchers and lived in the right area it could be an option for you, but it would require some effort on the part of the landowner to make it happen. My experience left me thinking I'll just stick with public land.

LateRiser

FNG
Landowners don't automatically get landowner tags, but depending on the area, I believe they can get some by requesting them through the DNR. My only experience with a landowner tag was less than stellar and I'm by no means an expert on this topic. I was told to get a "landowner cow tag" OTC and I could come hunt the property. The landowner had a voucher that I was then supposed to match up with the tag I had purchased. I purchased the tag, and then the landowner said the elk had left his property and so he didn't want me coming to hunt anymore. So I basically made a donation to the DNR for the cow tag and didn't get to hunt. Oh well, live and learn. He was letting me hunt his property for free and he has the right to change his mind. I bring up this experience only to show my limited knowledge of the landowner tag process. I still had to purchase a tag from the DNR, but then match it up with the landowner voucher. In that particular area, the DNR was handing out "as many cow vouchers as you want" (so I was told by the landowner) to the landowners as the elk were causing some problems with the local crops/farmers. Most land owners with vouchers turn around and sell them to recoup the costs of some of their lost crops, or property damaged by wildlife, etc. In my case it was supposed to be free (I'm sure that would have been different had it been a bull elk tag) so if the landowner was willing to request some vouchers and lived in the right area it could be an option for you, but it would require some effort on the part of the landowner to make it happen. My experience left me thinking I'll just stick with public land.

Thank for the response - greatly appreciated.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for all the info. As a new elk hunter/western hunter, my goal is primarily to have a memorable hunt and to fill the freezer. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cow, spike, or rag horn. If it weren't for the fact that my brother lives in SLC and could do some scouting for me, I probably wouldn't even be interested in hunting Utah, but to me it just seems to be too good of an edge that I don't have in other states.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the info. As a new elk hunter/western hunter, my goal is primarily to have a memorable hunt and to fill the freezer. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cow, spike, or rag horn. If it weren't for the fact that my brother lives in SLC and could do some scouting for me, I probably wouldn't even be interested in hunting Utah, but to me it just seems to be too good of an edge that I don't have in other states.

Definitely pick a LE unit and archery hunt it for spikes and cows. The unit I have picked is one that is very difficult to get to and I am not an every year elk hunter; otherwise I would be picking a different unit and doing just that.