Focus on the same unit or move on?

Deepshax

WKR
Back in 2016 I hunted in 2 different units in CO during archery. I saw 0 elk in either unit but am convinced I was not far from elk in the first unit, finding fresh (still wet) elk scat in the mornings hunting timber below a fire road…I heard some bugles around dusk on a couple nights (could have been other hunters though) and even came upon a 3x3 dead head not far off from where I was getting into the fresh scat. I ran into a good number of moose and deer here too. After 4-5 days of not bumping into anything I decided to move to another unit a few hours ride to the south. Once again deer and moose but no elk.

I ran into a guy that was deer hunting who claimed he used to be a guide in that unit and gave me a bunch of information. I didn’t have much time left in my hunt at that point and couldn’t leverage the information that was given (whether it was good insight or not idk). I planned to go back and hunt the same spots this past season but took on a new job in August and couldn’t swing vacation time. Fast forward to planning for fall 2018.

My only issue with the first spot was the amount of traffic on the roads, there was a lot of side by side / atv / truck traffic – even into the night, especially on the main drags – though I didn’t see anyone in the timber. I was here the week prior to muzzle loader and am sure the spot is busier during the ML season. I was planning on going out 3rd and 4rth week of archery which would overlap with ML. I also flubbed up the roads into the area I wanted to hunt at the second spot and realized I’d have to hike much further back than originally planned to get to where I wanted to be (though my original area here lined up with what the retired “guide” had disclosed). I would need a horse to get the meat out of there on my own without spoiling. Though getting back there a ways would be the more “romantic” option, I want to put an elk, any elk, down. Do you think it would eat up too much time hiking back 5-6 miles and sticking it out a couple days? Should I stay nearer to roads dipping in and out of timber?

I want to give myself a fighting chance of at least finding some elk on the hoof. I saw a ton of elk this past summer in ID, MT, WY on a non-hunting trip but I can’t say I’d feel comfortable out in brown bear country on my own at this point. I will be by myself and most probably flying in. Do I try to get back into one of those spots in July/Aug and see if I can piece together more of the puzzle? Abandon it and go to a different area preseason and possibly find another spot as backup?

Id say if you were that close to them, got some decent beta and can head back in there to scout in the summer Id stick with it, you are more than well on your way. If these areas are near Southwest CO, shoot me a PM and we can discuss some details.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the same OTC unit in southern Colorado for the past 5 seasons. During that time I have hunted 6 times and made summer scouting trips 4 times. During the summer elk are literally everywhere. Once season opens they disappear. While I find elk in the same general areas, they are not in the same meadows and are in far smaller numbers.

A few years ago I was in the area the weekend before season opened and left a herd of 60-70 several miles back at around 12,500’. During the week the outfitters rolled in and the elk disappeared.

This summer I found 6 different groups in a large bowl above timberline two weeks before season opened. They were bedding in the open throughout the day without a care in the world. Opening morning I caught a small group heading into the timber as day was breaking. Those were the only elk I found in that bowl the entire week.

I personally use my summer trips as an extension of my fitness training and to learn the unit. I try to hike new spots in the unit each summer to learn the lay of the land. It provides options for when other hunters are in an area I was planning on hunting.

Based on my experience I see benefit from summer trips, but don’t rely on them to tell me where the elk will be once season opens.

I have found that flying for the summer trips and trips where I don’t intend to bring meat back are fine, but prefer to drive for trips that I want to keep the meat. For one of my hunts this year I flew up then drove the rental home after I shot an elk. The rental car company only charged a $250 change fee and the airline gave me credit for the flight.

Just what I have learned based on my limited experience, hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like the more time I spend hunting one area, the better I get a feel for how the elk move in the area. If you were seeing fresh sign, even with no elk, then you learned some valuable beta. They could have gotten bumped out by another hunter, moved on, etc. and could be in there hot and heavy next year. I really like exploring new areas, but to me, hunting the same area consistently provides the best opportunities for success because I know how the elk behave there.

OP
D

Deepshax

WKR
the tough part is I only think I was close, have no idea if I actually was or not.

cnelk

WKR
Since the 'Go Deep' craze started, I now hunt close to road systems, rarely to I go more than 3/4 mi to some of my best spots.
Most times they are less than 1/2 mi from my truck

In 2015, we killed 3 bulls and a cow during archery - OTC public land, high pressure unit - furthest pack was 300yds to the truck

But Ive been hunting my spots for almost 30 years - and know them well

Find those 'pockets' and hunt them soft and you'll do well

Bacwest

FNG
In my experience, if you are close to a busy road the elk will not be close. As soon as traffic begins picking up they will move to a quieter spot. You may find some lone animals but for the most part the herd will want to be where the pressure is not. Anytime I start seeing the other hunters especially road hunters, I suggest looking for a hard to get to basin where the elk will likely be hiding from pressure.

I feel your pain. I have also invested two seasons in an area that has lots of elk sign but sometimes no elk. The first year we hunted it (MZ) we found all kinds of sheds and sign and I got my son a chance at two bulls but no shot. The next year we hunted archery and we found only half as many sheds and only saw one bull which did not give me a shot. I believe that elk do move around and shift due to grazing availability, completion from cattle and weather patterns but I feel more confident each year that I hunt that area because I am learning where the elk go and where they are not. For me I will stay and hunt this area rather than learning a whole new one. Like I told my son the first time we hunted this area (his first time) you need to spend a few days learning where the elk aren't before you know where they are.

KMT

WKR
In my experience, if I have hunted an area for a few days and haven’t seen any, I am not going to see any there. Hunt where the elk are, not where you want them to be or think they should be.

Of course, this can change. Elk can relocate 5-10 miles away in a day.

HOT ROD

WKR
I have hunted the same general unit for 3 years now.. Every year we hunt it.. We learn more info than years past.. This is the first year we have not killed elk... We had many chances to do so.. Just couldn't make it happen.. Keep moving until U find them...

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Returning back to the same unit, going to kill a bull there one day lol

bowhuntersd

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with 1 of the 2 units you think you may have the best opportunity in. The area the "Guide" told you about sounds the most intriguing to me. But I'm a sucker for "I wonder what's over there" .

CC

FNG
I'm not very familiar with Colorado seasons, but if you are going in Archery you would most likely be in the Rut? I see many times in Montana, Elk use the same rutting grounds year after year. If you go in the summer, don't be concerned with finding bulls, be looking for rubs, especially places where they have been used year after year. Areas where cows are hanging out can be good to if you find them later in the summer. What kind of fresh sign were you seeing? If you found just a few droppings, elk move around a lot and it's not uncommon to find, however where they are spending a lot of time it can smell like a barn yard. I have seen rutting zones where it seem like every tree within 75 yds are rubbed on, so don't just settle for a rub here and there, it can be good, but look for where the "Reunion" takes place.... that area is sure fun to hunt! Don't be afraid to hike some distance from the road, I have found some of the bigger bulls like that isolation but don't be afraid to check out "pockets like "cnelk" said. Don't just hunt morning and night.... put on the miles during mid day. You'll find them, just don't give up. References from Biologist, Game Warden, Taxidermist, ect will let you know if they are in the general area or if any sickness has affected the population. Think of scouting like a bullseye all the outer parts of the scouting can be done from home. You should know if you close before you leave home! Spend Time on Google earth and after all that is done, make sure you have game bags with ya next time you go :) Good luck

OP
D

Deepshax

WKR
Is anyone familiar with the north park area that wants to shoot me a PM? I'm thinking I may go back to the same unit/area but maybe during one of the rifle seasons...have a few questions.