Wyoming NR tag changes

jmez

WKR
Wyoming outfitters and guide association is proposing the state change allocation of NR tags. There are three proposals they are considering. Not sure how the second one benefits the outfitters? Thoughts?

The first is to raise the percentage of limited quota tags given to nonresidents from 16 to 20 percent in areas where there is not a high demand. The second is to divide the state into regions for nonresidents so general tags can only be used by nonresidents in certain places. The third is to get rid of the cap of 7,250 nonresident licenses.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Number two would put it similar to the deer regions which would add point creep to slot of units. Anytime people have to wait multiple years for a tag the odds of getting an Outfitter go up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HOT ROD

WKR
This is some thing I don't support in any way.. And I have voiced my opinion about this.. Sent all the commissioners emails last month... Waiting for G&F to announce.. When there comment period and public meeting will be... I wouldn't think to many resident would support this.. And I am surprised by the amount.. Of nonresidents that don't support this to... If U don't support this.. Attend the public meetings.. Sum time this spring.. Send emails and phone calls.. To all the commissioners....

LaHunter

WKR
As a WY non resident, the 2nd part of the proposal looks bad for us. Obviously, the 1st and 3rd look to be beneficial to non residents.
All parts appear beneficial to outfitters.

wapitibob

WKR
There are no "proposals" being considered by the commission.
The commission asked the dept to re visit the nr allocation procedure and come back to the Nov meeting with their thoughts. At that meeting their ideas had been whittled down to "no change", a regional concept, or just adding more tags ( outfitters idea). There was no consensus, the commission had no idea what to do, so they will have public meetings to discuss the listed ideas and to see if the public has other thoughts.
The nr allocation was brought up because the outfitters wanted another 2,000 tags on top of the 7250 we now get. When asked why 7250 wasn't enough, the response was "because our clients can't draw every year". It was then pointed out that 50% of that 7250 go to outfitted nr.

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
The outfitters support any of the three. They are the ones pushing this, the general public/residents don't want the changes was the tone of the article.

Maybe proposals was the wrong word? In the article I read in the paper today, what I quoted above is what was listed that the Game and Fish is going to consider changing if they change anything.

204guy

WKR
I would oppose this just on the principle that WYOGA proposed it. They've never even accidentally had an idea that was good for the DIY public land hunter.

I'd have loved to have been at that meeting to propose the compromise of removing the wilderness restriction for 2000 more tags. Bet they would have jumped at that.

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
Oh yeah, they would have loved that. The president was quoted in the article talking about how they can't get enough clients because of the restrictions on NR's.

Being a NR hunter, I'll probably never hunt elk in Wyoming because of the wilderness area restrictions. I'm not rich enough to afford a guide.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

mossyhorn

FNG
As nonresident I think these are all bad ideas. If they want to sell more tags and increase revenue they should create more primitive weapon hunts. Create a general archery tag, good only for archery. You’d get more guys thru the system this way I’d think. Most hunters don’t have the means to make two trips to Wyoming in a year. Lots of hunters are buying a rifle tag just to bowhunt elk. They’re competing for rifle tags when they’ll never go rifle hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As nonresident I think these are all bad ideas. If they want to sell more tags and increase revenue they should create more primitive weapon hunts. Create a general archery tag, good only for archery. You’d get more guys thru the system this way I’d think. Most hunters don’t have the means to make two trips to Wyoming in a year. Lots of hunters are buying a rifle tag just to bowhunt elk. They’re competing for rifle tags when they’ll never go rifle hunting.
What's makes you think they care if guys move though the system. Where does the point money go and now it's increased bam! new revenue stream

mossyhorn

FNG
By creating more primitive hunts, they can sell more tags. More NR tags means more money for them. The more people they move through the sustem, the more tags they sell. Antelope, deer and elk points increased $1-2. They aren’t making a lot of money with that increase...

jm1607

WKR
So I saw all the tag price increases..

Did they increase the Elk, Deer, and Antelope point cost yet? If so by how much?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
By creating more primitive hunts, they can sell more tags. More NR tags means more money for them. The more people they move through the sustem, the more tags they sell. Antelope, deer and elk points increased $1-2. They aren’t making a lot of money with that increase...
That's free money they offer no resources for that compensation. I don't think you'll see split season anytime soon people like the fact that they COULD hunt every season even when in fact they'll only come once. I'd love to see your numbers on non resident archery vs rifle in premium units

wapitibob

WKR
The only reason the nr allocation is even being discussed is because WYOGA would like more nr tags for their customers. Those customers are rifle hunters. This has nothing to do with revenue nor the game dept itself. WYOGA brought this to the Commission.
The only off topic discussion this may bring is a removal of the nr wilderness restrictions, and that will only come if enough nr send emails to the Commission explaining an increase in NR tags will just put more nr into the same areas. By removing that restriction nr can spread out creating a better experience for all hunters that hunt off the wilderness.