WY elk hunt for my Dad

So, I know these types of posts are not usually popular but here it goes. I have been buying points for elk in WY on and off for a while and have enough to get me and someone with no points a general tag. A few months ago my Dad decided this was his last year of work, he is retiring. I would LOVE to take him on his first and probably only elk hunt, but as are most retired people his is getting old. He can hike a few miles a day over mild terrain but not much more. I am not an elk hunter and really could use some pointers on elk areas that are not the mountains. Or maybe some pay for access to private land. If your willing to PM me great. If I get nothing I understand. I have to ask though.

I will get my spreadsheet going this weekend and have more specific areas to ask about. Just looking to see if there are guys who know WY that will take my questions.

Last edited:
I was suppose to take my dad elk hunting this year. He was 75. Had his airline ticket and everything, and for the first time in decades we were gonna hunt elk together. He was a mountain mans man. He trapped for a living, lived in a cabin with no electricity etc.
He raised us in the woods.
He ended up having a heart attack and passing away.

I regret not getting this hunt together earlier.

I hope you both can pull this off and enjoy a hunt of a life time.
I hope anyone with info can help this come to pass. Sometimes it is more than tagging out, sometimes it is making the memories of a life time.

OP
MuleyFever
Man, that's tough. My dad raised me hunting. And is one of the hardest working people I know. He was right there when I killed my first buck. This year I was able to see him kill his first mule deer. I would be over the moon to see him kill an elk. I have taken him western hunting 3 times. Its kind of weird taking him out. He learns from me after so many years of me learning from him. Its rewarding in a way that I know I wouldn't know what I do if it weren't for him starting this passion. The fact I can teach him is a testament to his raising me well if that makes sense.

Man, that's tough. My dad raised me hunting. And is one of the hardest working people I know. He was right there when I killed my first buck. This year I was able to see him kill his first mule deer. I would be over the moon to see him kill an elk. I have taken him western hunting 3 times. Its kind of weird taking him out. He learns from me after so many years of me learning from him. Its rewarding in a way that I know I wouldn't know what I do if it weren't for him starting this passion. The fact I can teach him is a testament to his raising me well if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense

jmez

WKR
If you are willing to pay look at 116 and 117. Don't know what odds are but those units are in black hills, pretty tame terrain compared to the mountains. Also unit 1 but that one is max points.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
So I’m wondering if out of units 6, 13, 67, 81, 84, 85, 91, 126, 129, or 130 if anyone thinks any of them would be a good option? I have not looked at the topography yet. Or private land areas.

Crapshoot

WKR
Dad's 80th Birthday

Had the chance to do something special with dad. Don't miss out if you have the chance, it's something that will live forever.

106_6165.jpg

NoWiser

WKR
How important is a bull for your dad? Enough points for a general tag could get you a Type 4 tag in some mild country with excellent success rates.

OP
MuleyFever
That's awesome Crapshoot.

I could do a cow hunt here with him. Would like to do a bull hunt.

wytx

WKR
6 is mostly private and access is hard to find. There are some good outfitters there though, quite a few ranchers also outfit 6.
Terrain is steep in some spots but very open in most of the area, usually not a timber type hunt for elk in area 6. Some good sized bulls though.

OP
MuleyFever
Thanks for that info. Access is my concern with some of these units like 125.

Anyone have experience in 33?

OP
MuleyFever
I am doing some digging in unit 40. If anyone has hunted it during the rifle season I would like to ask a couple questions.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my son got private land antelope tags and access to private land. We are wondering if its worth it to apply for leftover 129-6 cow calf licensees? Landowner said only occasionally does he have elk. Is there enough public for us to find a cow with only 2 days available?