Colorado Unit 81 & 78

HELP I am planning on my first OTC archery Elk adventure next year in unit 81. I have just recently started bow hunting, as I have 2 young boys I would love to share experiences with. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience (good, bad, indifferent) elk hunting south of Platoro reservoir. Certainly not looking for anyone's "hunny hole" just feedback you might have in a 30 mile radius of the area. I'm planning on back packing in for 7 days next year, and figured I would reach out to you wonderful people reading this post for any tips, tricks, or ideas?

If it doesn't bode well in unit 81 (after picking 3 or 4 areas to hunt), I'm planning on driving west to unit 78 to try my luck...

Thank you for reading and helping a native Arkansan on his first backcountry hunt!

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of hunters around Platoro. It is difficult to get very far from roads without walking up on a trail that enters from another trailhead. If you hunt in the area plan a few extra days to acclimate. The blow downs around Platoro can get frustrating. 5-6 miles or further north there are fewer blowdowns, but more atv traffic. I generally find the most elk in the steep dark timber with most of the hunters in the meadows/parks. Beautiful area, but tough hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
In both units no matter where you go or how far you hike you’ll see others, tons of people hunt these units.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 81 and 78 last year. Had people camp right beside us. Had people bust our set ups multiple times. Watched trucks and atvs drive through meadows at daylight and dusk, off designated trails. We did see a few elk but also lots of hunters. As Rinella says, there is your hunting party and everyone else are the assholes. :D

OP
J
gauge - I get the feeling that even though I'd want to be 5-6 miles in, lots of others want to be equally as far.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
Yes and no. That was our experience in these units, but the pressure is high in most OTC units. We are talking a very large area here though. You can find areas in any unit that will not have any pressure, and it varies every season/year. Check the Colorado hunting stats. Unit 81 and 78 have very high hunter numbers.

big44a4

WKR
Also don’t be opposed to finding hard to reach areas that may be closer to roads. Only elk I saw in an OTC unit last year (my first season) were <2 miles from a major road. But it was a steep climb to get there. Still had hunters nearby as heard a few muzzleloader shots but didn’t put eyes on anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
big44 - I listen to several backcountry podcast and often hear people walk right past good areas close to roads to get further back in. I will certainly be checking every square mile from truck to camp for sign. Thanks again!

swampokie

WKR
These units receive massive pressure period! I hunted there last sept and was afraid I would catch a thor in the tummy at any time. ive hunted a lot of public land in my life but never have I saw anything like the pressure in these units. When u add all the people from all seasons that are going on and their helpers the numbers are mind blowing. It doesn't matter how far u go in because everyone else has that idea as well. I really cant understand why anyone would spend the money and time to hunt these otc units. WOW!

I think that the Southern OTC units get absolutely hammered by guys coming from out of state. We are the first place the hit and so naturally thats where they will stop and start hunting. I would like to see the entire state go to a draw for archery elk and start limiting the number of hunters. Even if it meant I couldnt hunt every year I think the experience would be that much better.

LostArra

WKR
I used to hunt 81. Do some planning with regard to grazing rights. In separate years we packed into the San Juan Wilderness then got over run by sheep one year and cattle the next. Cattle were really bad. Came back to camp with tents smashed and crap everywhere. I now hunt Wyoming.