Wyoming Second Choice Explanation Needed

CiK01

WKR
Can somebody explain how Wyoming allocates non-resident elk Type 4 or Type 6 tags as the second choice in units that have those tags? I have 3 points and am torn between hunting a General Unit or keep building for a Limited Unit. I would like to hunt cows in the targeted Limited Unit for a few years if I can and will most likely pick a unit that allows me to do that.

I just can't seem to decipher the second choice allocation though. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Type 4 tags are "antlerless "tags , type 6 or 7 are cow/calf additional tags meaning you can have one or 2 in addition to another elk tag.
Type 4 tags will take your PP if drawn on a first choice application , cow/calf tags do not.
If you put up to 3 choices on your application and draw a second or third choice they will not take your PP, regardless of the tag you drew.
I would apply for cow/calf tags to get to know an area and save your PP. Some general units have many cow/calf tags and would be a great way to get to learn it without losing your PP.
Personally I would not apply for a type 4 tag unless you just want meat and don't care about a future hunt and keeping your PP. You may draw a type 4 on second choice and keep your points but chances are probably slim. Check the drawing odds on those for the areas you are looking at.

jmez

WKR
Type 4 tags are "antlerless "tags , type 6 or 7 are cow/calf additional tags meaning you can have one or 2 in addition to another elk tag.
Type 4 tags will take your PP if drawn on a first choice application , cow/calf tags do not.
If you put up to 3 choices on your application and draw a second or third choice they will not take your PP, regardless of the tag you drew.
I would apply for cow/calf tags to get to know an area and save your PP. Some general units have many cow/calf tags and would be a great way to get to learn it without losing your PP.
Personally I would not apply for a type 4 tag unless you just want meat and don't care about a future hunt and keeping your PP. You may draw a type 4 on second choice and keep your points but chances are probably slim. Check the drawing odds on those for the areas you are looking at.
Type 4 tags can be had as a second choice for non residents in many units if you are willing to pay the extra fee for special draw.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Type 1,2,3,4,5 are full price licenses, and issued thru either the regular price or special price draw; one or the other.
Type 6/7/8 are reduced price and issued thru their own drawing.

If you want to draw a full price type 4/5 cow license as 2nd choice, use a hard to draw hunt (type 1) as your 1st choice (one you would be OK with drawing, just in case), then list the type4/5 license as your 2nd choice. Your app will be processed in the preference point draw, ranked by points and random number, for the 1st choice. After all apps have been processed everyone drops to the random draw, and their 1st choice is still valid, but, you are not ranked by points, only your 2nd random number. After all 1st choice apps have been processed they go thru the 2nd choices, still ranked by that 2nd random number. To see your 2nd choice odds, you look at the random odds report, for your 2nd choice hunt. Deduct the 1st choice apps from the "quota" and if there is a remainder, those licenses will be available for the 2nd choice apps. You would then compare that remaining license quota to the 2nd choice apps and figure your odds.

attachment.php

For reduced price licenses, points aren't used. Apply for the license you want as a 1st choice then a 2nd choice, then third. The odds are a straight comparison on the odds report.

Last edited:
OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
To see your 2nd choice odds, you look at the random odds report, for your 2nd choice hunt. Deduct the 1st choice apps from the "quota" and if there is a remainder, those licenses will be available for the 2nd choice apps. You would then compare that remaining license quota to the 2nd choice apps and figure your odds.

This is the piece I was missing. Thanks!

jmez

WKR
You can also put in for the NR Special Draw as a second choice can't you? If so that ups your odds quite a bit in many units on getting a cow tag.

wapitibob

WKR
You can not apply in the Regular and Special simultaneously; you pick one. You can apply to one full price draw and also apply in the reduced price. You can choose a 2nd choice hunt in any of the three draws.

jmez

WKR
Jesus Wyoming is confusing.

So if I were applying in unit 51, I can apply in the special draw for a type 9 as first choice and then a special draw type 4 as a second choice?

But I couldn't apply for a regular type 9 and a special draw type 4?

jmez

WKR
And thank you very much Bob for taking the time to answer and explain all of these questions about WY.

jmez

WKR
And it gets more confusing. I just called the WY game and fish. I was told on the phone, for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draw choices you can not put in different type tags.

I asked specifically, if I put in for a type 9 in unit 51 can I list type 4 in unit 11 as a second choice and the lady told me no, I would have to apply for a type 9 in unit 11 also?

204guy

WKR

So if I were applying in unit 51, I can apply in the special draw for a type 9 as first choice and then a special draw type 4 as a second choice?

Yes.

No.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
And it gets more confusing. I just called the WY game and fish. I was told on the phone, for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draw choices you can not put in different type tags.

I asked specifically, if I put in for a type 9 in unit 51 can I list type 4 in unit 11 as a second choice and the lady told me no, I would have to apply for a type 9 in unit 11 also?
Unfortunately calling the G&F is rarely a good choice. A lot of hunters understand WY's draw process much better than most of the G&F employees. You can apply for any unit or any type 1-5 for you 3 choices.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Man, thanks for the answer. I don't think that lady knew what she was talking about or didn't understand what I was asking.

She told me choice 1, 2 and 3 had to be in separate units. The tag type had to be the same in all 3.

Man, thanks for the answer. I don't think that lady knew what she was talking about or didn't understand what I was asking.

She told me choice 1, 2 and 3 had to be in separate units. The tag type had to be the same in all 3.

Yikes haha

wapitibob

WKR

correct

calling Wyoming game and fish is a very good experience if you know who to talk to....
One of my last calls:
me "I need to talk to the guy who knows xyz"
employee "you need to talk to a warden"
me "no, I need to talk to the guy who teaches the wardens"
employee "umm ok just a sec"
boom, new contact and a direct number to him

Last edited: