Oxygen deprivation mask

Anyone have any experience using an oxygen deprivation mask to prepare for high altitude? I know it will be "different strokes for different folks" but would like to hear any good/bad experience using to prepare vs. boots on ground at high elevation.

robie

WKR
I'm in Houston and looked into it for hunting CO.

Everything I've read said it doesn't do anything for altitude. Restricting your breathing isn't the same as having less oxygen per volume of breath. You can't train for altitude just get in the best shape possible and allow time to adjust when you get there.

nrh6.7

WKR
I've looking into buying one also, and while I agree that it doesn't reduce the amount of oxygen in the air you are breathing, it does make it harder to get said air. To me, that means you are restricting the amount of air you're used to working on and should somehow help you. If nothing else your diaphragm and lungs will get stronger as you have to work harder to pull it through the mask.

Would love to hear from someone who knows the science behind this.

JWP58

WKR
I've looking into buying one also, and while I agree that it doesn't reduce the amount of oxygen in the air you are breathing, it does make it harder to get said air. To me, that means you are restricting the amount of air you're used to working on and should somehow help you. If nothing else your diaphragm and lungs will get stronger as you have to work harder to pull it through the mask.

Would love to hear from someone who knows the science behind this.

There is no science, its a gimmick. If you are in good cardiovascular condition with a high vo2 max, altitude wont be an issue two days after you arrive. Save your cash. Or if you have $$ to blow buy an altitude tent to sleep in, since a lot of endurance athletes adhere to "live high, train low"....you want O2 for aerobic conditioning.

Last edited:
As previous poster stated its a gimmick. Only way to truly train for high altirude is either train at high altitude or get one of those high end altitude tent set ups. Don't worry about the mask and just get yourself in the best cardiovascular shape as possible, know your limits and be aware of the signs and symptoms of altitude sickness.

Like a dumbass I bought one to train for a job I was taking in Colorado. Used for six months prior to going. Got to Colorado and realized I just wasted my money. The only way to prepare for the mountains is to be in the mountains.

I realize that’s easier said than done, I tell all the guys that want to hunt here in Colorado from anywhere else to grab their pack loaded with what they are bringing and go hit the stadium as much as possible.

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for clearing that up. Doubt I would've bought one, but you never know what you'll buy late at night when you can't sleep!

oldgoat

WKR
Thanks for clearing that up. Doubt I would've bought one, but you never know what you'll buy late at night when you can't sleep!
I'll let you in on a secret! Next time you're at the store, grab an extra one of those clear bags you get off the roll in the produce section. Then next time you exercise, put it over your head and have at it, you can just poke holes in the mouth area till you get the right amount of breathing resistance you want.

There is no science, its a gimmick. If you are in good cardiovascular condition with a high vo2 max, altitude wont be an issue two days after you arrive. Save your cash. Or if you have $$ to blow buy an altitude tent to sleep in, since a lot of endurance athletes adhere to "live high, train low"....you want O2 for aerobic conditioning.
Not everyone can acclimate to elevation changes. I grew up in KY and moved to Colorado Springs during my high school career. I was in pretty good shape since I'd played soccer my whole life. Either way, seems like around 13,500 was always my limit. Maybe I couldn't acclimate as fast as I could climb. Maybe if I'd have camped at 10,000 I could have made the 14,400 summit with my brother and father?

My point is elevation affects everyone differently. You won't know how it affects you until your on the mountain.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Have seen the devices, heard they were a gimmick.
Something to consider, in the heat of the summer with high humidity you can get a version of thinner air.
We are at 5-600 above sea level. I've seen 3500 DA in these conditions.
While this isn't 10k it is some help.

R

its all about increasing lung oxygen absorption. repeated hill sprints with short breaks (3 or 4 seconds). that will help. research vo2 max cardiorespiratory endurance.

Altitude also affects people differently. Big Time. Ive witnessed Superior cardio athletes be crushed by altitude when a less impressive cardio athlete is not severely affected. This is in reference to my personal experiences on mountaineering and hunting trips at 14k and below which is relative to Colorado. Altitude tents I believe may have science behind them ( not sure) but either way your basic cardio and weighted pack training hikes are your best bet IMO.

JWP58

WKR
Not everyone can acclimate to elevation changes. I grew up in KY and moved to Colorado Springs during my high school career. I was in pretty good shape since I'd played soccer my whole life. Either way, seems like around 13,500 was always my limit. Maybe I couldn't acclimate as fast as I could climb. Maybe if I'd have camped at 10,000 I could have made the 14,400 summit with my brother and father?

My point is elevation affects everyone differently. You won't know how it affects you until your on the mountain.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Yup and being in good physical condition helps way more than an asphyxiation mask.

While agree with you regarding the mask being a gimmick, I wanted to correct something minor in the next statement, having had experience training for high-altitude and living at just over 5,200 feet right now.

The first and second day will not affect you that much after arriving at the higher elevation. While good physical condition is IMPERATIVE, the third day will make you wonder where all your fitness went. That is when you body starts to transition itself to the lack of oxygen percentage. After that, you will be better and better after that day. Something to think about when planning your trip.

Then, of course, living at high altitude would be the best thing. When I was bicycle racing against other people, my high altitude training was REALLY beneficial. I could recover quicker, pedal faster, keep my base level higher, an so on and so forth. The downside to this was heavier thicker blood, which for older people could be a concern.

Altitude also affects people differently. Big Time. Ive witnessed Superior cardio athletes be crushed by altitude when a less impressive cardio athlete is not severely affected. This is in reference to my personal experiences on mountaineering and hunting trips at 14k and below which is relative to Colorado. Altitude tents I believe may have science behind them ( not sure) but either way your basic cardio and weighted pack training hikes are your best bet IMO.

I agree with this too. I have had some people get Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) and they seemed really healthy. Ruined quite a few mountaineering trips, lemme tell ya.

oldgoat

WKR
While agree with you regarding the mask being a gimmick, I wanted to correct something minor in the next statement, having had experience training for high-altitude and living at just over 5,200 feet right now.

The first and second day will not affect you that much after arriving at the higher elevation. While good physical condition is IMPERATIVE, the third day will make you wonder where all your fitness went. That is when you body starts to transition itself to the lack of oxygen percentage. After that, you will be better and better after that day. Something to think about when planning your trip.

Then, of course, living at high altitude would be the best thing. When I was bicycle racing against other people, my high altitude training was REALLY beneficial. I could recover quicker, pedal faster, keep my base level higher, an so on and so forth. The downside to this was heavier thicker blood, which for older people could be a concern.
In reference to the very last sentence, that's why me and my wife take regular aspirins once or twice a day when hunting the high country. Just take it easy till you get acclimated!!!

SWThomas

FNG
Swim laps. That's some of the best cardio you can do. And if you use bilateral breathing, it'll help train your body to more efficiently utilize oxygen.