Colorado

ltlacorn

FNG
I currently have 5 points. Not many but after thinking things over its going to take another 15-20 years for a top unit. Too old to wait that long. Looking at either archery or muzzleloader on public land. Any suggestions for a decent area? I've been hunting OTC unit 15 since the mid 80's. Not the same. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently have 5 points. Not many but after thinking things over its going to take another 15-20 years for a top unit. Too old to wait that long. Looking at either archery or muzzleloader on public land. Any suggestions for a decent area? I've been hunting OTC unit 15 since the mid 80's. Not the same. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Pm you a couple ideas good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In colorado, any area that takes points will help you out. I'd look for an area that is similar to the area you hunt, and takes a point. then you can hunt it every year or so and take advantage of less pressure, but hunt in similar terrain to what you hunt now.

OP
ltlacorn

ltlacorn

FNG
In colorado, any area that takes points will help you out. I'd look for an area that is similar to the area you hunt, and takes a point. then you can hunt it every year or so and take advantage of less pressure, but hunt in similar terrain to what you hunt now.

If you put in for a 2 point area and you have 5-6 points, don't you lose all your points? Thanks

NoWiser

WKR
Good plan using your points. With 5 points you are more like 30-40 years from drawing a top unit, if not more.

xziang

WKR
Subbing for in about the same boat and have considered cashing them in too. Just unsure do you cash them in for a ML/Rifle/Archery :) Research and more research it seems. Good luck with your decision!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just unsure do you cash them in for a ML/Rifle/Archery :)

I guess that depends on what you're comfortable with, the amount of time you want to put into the hunt, and the number of points you have. Archery almost always takes less points than rifle and ML for the same unit, and you have a 30 day season. Some people consider an archery hunt to be more difficult than either the rifle or ML, but I disagree. My daughter's ML hunt this year was about as easy as they come, but with a 30 yard shot anyone with a bow would have been just as successful.

If we don't get any moisture this winter/spring it could be very interesting this September. I've never seen so many mountains without any snow at all in January. Kind of freaky. It was already as dry as I've ever seen it this last September.

dotman

WKR
I guess that depends on what you're comfortable with, the amount of time you want to put into the hunt, and the number of points you have. Archery almost always takes less points than rifle and ML for the same unit, and you have a 30 day season. Some people consider an archery hunt to be more difficult than either the rifle or ML, but I disagree. My daughter's ML hunt this year was about as easy as they come, but with a 30 yard shot anyone with a bow would have been just as successful.

If we don't get any moisture this winter/spring it could be very interesting this September. I've never seen so many mountains without any snow at all in January. Kind of freaky. It was already as dry as I've ever seen it this last September.

So weird when last year had so much snow by this time. Down where I hunt had 200% of the average snow fall last year haven’t checked what it is this year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So weird when last year had so much snow by this time. Down where I hunt had 200% of the average snow fall last year haven’t checked what it is this year.

The Southern Sangres are bare. I have NEVER seen that in January.

Last year had great snow in the spring and even early summer, but then it just shut off. Looking at my daughter's bull, you could see that he had great growth most the antler growing season and then the back end looks like it just stopped, and is stunted from the rest of the rack. If they would have kept growing he would have made 350".

Last edited:

LandYacht

WKR
The rain didn’t stop till the forage had been grown. I don’t think that is what kept those antlers from hitting 350 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The rain didn’t stop till the forage had been grown. I don’t think that is what kept those antlers from hitting 350 :)

I guess that depends on where you were hunting. The area we hunted I've hunted a long time and I've never seen it as dry as it was this last season. Water holes dry that have had water in them for decades. I'm not so sure they even got any of the rains. I've seen 260 bulls with bigger ends. Crab claw ends have to be caused by something. I've seen the opposite as well......tiny fronts and then growth like crazy in back.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am in the same situation with CO elk points. 5 in my pocket and plan to spend them this year faster than a kid with a dollar in a candy store.
This will be new for me, I have only hunted CO elk in otc areas.

Summit1

FNG
I'll be in the same boat this year, me and my hunting partner will be burning our 5 points. We're both too old to be planning on a hunt 20 plus years from now. I'm a Colorado native and have only ever hunted over the counter archery, so I'm not quite sure which units to look at. The Colorado Outdoor magazine has a pretty good break down, but that's the best info I've been able to find. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brad

You are stuck in a tough place with 5pts. Either keep saving or burn them and hunt OTC going forward.
I think CO has some amazing OTC and wouldn't want to get my points up that high unless I was hunting another state consistently.
If you want archery and want to "use" your points you could look into unit 67...I think that is around 4 or 5 pt draw.
67 is way south from 15 so you will be going in blind and its a bit different but that will be a way to burn the points and get value?

I think there are a few others but I'm not going to spend the time looking it up...you can poke around and find it I'm sure.