WY elk regs making my eyes cross

krojemann

WKR
I've searched, read, and re-read many threads on the WY regs & draw and I'm still a bit confused. Especially the differences in type 1 units with and archery stamp verses type 9 units in conjunction with when you can hunt each unit.

We are looking at cashing in our points and hunting a general unit this year. We have an average of 2.5 points. We are only interested in archery hunting. I've read, and think I understand, that we can basically have 2 options. Apply for a type 9 tag in a general unit. Or apply for a type 1 general tag and purchase an archery stamp, then archery hunt non-type 9 units. Is this correct so far?

It gets confusing when looking at open dates because on the state's website, they vary so much. Some mid September, late September, mid October, etc. I can only assume these are rifle openers, but as a first time archery hunter, it's confusing.

Also, can archery stamp holders ever hunt a type 9 general unit? Or can a type 9 tag holder hunt other general units? The whole first & second choice is a whole other topic, ha.

Anyways, any help with this process would be greatly appreciated. Or any application recommendations (type 1/type9/etc) for some guys only interested in bowhunting & more concerned with number of encounters than quality. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CiK01

WKR
Type 9 is a Limited Tag. It is an archery only tag.

Type 1 is a Limited Tag and is sold as an "any legal weapon" tag mostly starting around October 1. Most will rifle hunt that tag. Some Type 1 tags offer you a chance to buy an archery stamp that gives you an opportunity to hunt archery in September. Some starting 9/1, others starting 9/15.

General Tags are the same as Type 1 tags but without hunter quota limits.

With 2.5 points, you are most likely going to want to find a General Tag because they are easier to get with 2.5 points than a Limited Tag.

nickstone

WKR
If you scroll down to 7-20 in the link below you will see "special archery dates" these are season dates you are probably looking for in General units/special archery stamp, the majority begin Sept. 1

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH7

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
Type 9 is a Limited Tag. It is an archery only tag.

Type 1 is a Limited Tag and is sold as an "any legal weapon" tag mostly starting around October 1. Most will rifle hunt that tag. Some Type 1 tags offer you a chance to buy an archery stamp that gives you an opportunity to hunt archery in September. Some starting 9/1, others starting 9/15.

General Tags are the same as Type 1 tags but without hunter quota limits.

With 2.5 points, you are most likely going to want to find a General Tag because they are easier to get with 2.5 points than a Limited Tag.
Oh, looks like I was way off. I thought you needed a type 1 or 9 tag to accompany the general tag. (I thought it clarified your weapon & sex) But it sounds like general is separate from the different types of tags & the different types of tags only refer to the limited quota units?

So is it correct to say, with a general tag in a general unit, if the unit isn't classified as type 9, you can start September 1. But type 9 units start September 15?

nickstone

WKR
The specific dates for every hunt are listed in the link I posted above. You can also view them on the WYO G&F website if you go to the hunt planner map feature.

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
The specific dates for every hunt are listed in the link I posted above. You can also view them on the WYO G&F website if you go to the hunt planner map feature.
Thank you for the link. So maybe our case is easy, we just need to apply for a general tag, first choice, forget the types, then pick our area? Is this a case where we will be purchasing a archery stamp separate, so we could come back for rifle if we really wanted to?

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the link. So maybe our case is easy, we just need to apply for a general tag, first choice, forget the types, then pick our area? Is this a case where we will be purchasing a archery stamp separate, so we could come back for rifle if we really wanted to?

Yes

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
Type 9 will let you hunt the entire month of September when the type 1 makes you wait until the 15th to start. That’s in some units, but maybe not all. Check the specific area you’re considering. We had type 1 tags for #45 in 2016 and couldn’t start until the 15th.

If you can get the type 9 there will likely be less pressure.

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
Type 9 will let you hunt the entire month of September when the type 1 makes you wait until the 15th to start. That’s in some units, but maybe not all. Check the specific area you’re considering. We had type 1 tags for #45 in 2016 and couldn’t start until the 15th.

If you can get the type 9 there will likely be less pressure.
I think I'm slowly grasping this. So there appears to be a handful of type 9 designated units. These are still considered limited quota tags & they typically give the tag holders the first two weeks of the season to hunt less pressured bulls. But if I'm reading the table right, some of these units allow general tag holders in after the 15th? This type 9 tag would maybe be ideal for someone who has an area picked out in this unit and wants to hunt the first 2 weeks of September?

For someone who hasn't settled on an area yet, would you just recommend applying for a general tag and picking our spots based on our scouting in conjunction with the season dates those units allow archery? Thanks again, this is confusing.

The Wyoming Game Planner really helps to clarify things. They have season dates and descriptions of the tag types broken down per unit.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys...I was just going to start a thread on this exact same question!

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another question about the first choice/second choice confusion. Can I apply for a type 1 as first choice and a type 9 in a completely different unit as second choice? Or do all of your choices have to be the same type tag?

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Yep they can be different? Or yep they have to be same type?

OP
K

krojemann

WKR
To feed on the first choice/second choice confusion, does it only make sense to list a second choice when applying for limited quota units? Or...in our case, if we listed general as or first choice, with 2.5 points, we should get it, so wouldn't it pretty much negate a second choice of we listed one?

Or would it make more sense to try our luck at a trophy unit, with general as a second choice to fall back on? Sorry, just trying to grasp this. Thanks

weaver

WKR
You won't draw a general tag as your second choice.
Units you can draw a bull tag as a second choice usually have difficult access or are mostly wilderness areas that nr can't hunt without a guide.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk