What is it about the Gila country of New Mexico?

A private conversation with another member on this site prompted me to wonder this, and to ask you all-what it is about the Gila that's so mystical in the lore of elk hunting. If I meet somebody from outside New Mexico and tell them this is where I live and that I hunt elk, they immediately go to hunting elk in the Gila. They've never visited the state. How do they know? Having never or hardly visited Utah or Oregon or Idaho or Colorado or Arizona, I don't know about any specific area within those states that when somebody says they are from there, my first reaction is, "do you hunt area X?" The only other region I am aware of that people refer to that's more specific than the state is the Missouri Breaks, Montana.
Was there a specific event, movie, or Fred Bear-like figure that popularized it?
I have lived in New Mexico for 14 + years now and started hunting elk in 2011. I have hunted the Gila Wilderness 4 times. It's fantastic. It's been good to me. Irrespective of elk hunting, it's a fabulous area that I truly cherish and will visit whenever I can get there whether I'm hunting elk or not.
I'm curious if anybody else out there has a longer perspective on this region and how it has become so enshrined in elk hunting lore.

Thomas11

WKR
I just think because it’s associated with big bulls in comparison to the rest of NM, it seems to get most of the attention. Whereas in UT and AZ a big bull can come from really anywhere. But in NM for the most part the bigger bulls seem to come from the Gila. Now that encompasses a lot of units and probably includes several units not necessarily in the gila forest if that makes sense

ShakeDown

WKR
And if memory serves I do believe the Gila Wilderness Area was the first designated wilderness area. When people talk about “The Gila” they generally mean the Gila National Forest which encompasses Gila Wilderness + Aldo Leopold Wilderness and the Blue Range Wilderness. Together I believe one of the largest Wilderness areas around.

OP
A
And if memory serves I do believe the Gila Wilderness Area was the first designated wilderness area. When people talk about “The Gila” they generally mean the Gila National Forest which encompasses Gila Wilderness + Aldo Leopold Wilderness and the Blue Range Wilderness. Together I believe one of the largest Wilderness areas around.

you are correct. The Bob Marshall is bigger I think, but the Gila is the first, and among the largest in the lower 48.

Fitzwho

WKR
There was also a 430”, 9x8 Bull killed in the Gila this year. Stuff like that may have something to do with it.

I had hunted / scouted the Gila for 14 days before and during a muzzleloader hunt some years back. I saw more big bulls on that trip than in 10 years hunting Colorado. It also was an area that the locals referred to the bulls they saw by a BC score and not by points. ie. I saw a "350"last night. It is also the only area my wife actually encourages me to go back to since I didn't kill on that hunt. PS. I found a left side 6 point shed that I brought back with me and the base is as almost as thick as my calf. In-a-word......go.

Beendare

WKR
Big bulls bro. I've hunted the Gila 3x over the last 30 years.

Do you remember back about 10-15 years ago when they sold 20 'Depredation' tags that were a couple weeks before the season?

Hunters killed something like 12 bulls over 360" a couple 400"ers +/-. I dunno that they do that anymore due to the outrage of 'Depredation' but there are some great quality animals in there still.

The problem I had was wading through the very smart cows and other dink bulls to get a shot at a legitimate monster.

Trial153

WKR
Big screaming bulls and beautiful country, sucks ass cell phone coverage. Love it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Big bulls bro. I've hunted the Gila 3x over the last 30 years.

Do you remember back about 10-15 years ago when they sold 20 'Depredation' tags that were a couple weeks before the season?

Hunters killed something like 12 bulls over 360" a couple 400"ers +/-. I dunno that they do that anymore due to the outrage of 'Depredation' but there are some great quality animals in there still.

The problem I had was wading through the very smart cows and other dink bulls to get a shot at a legitimate monster.

My dad got a MONSTER out of there around that time (10 years back).

Hall256

WKR
I have wanted to hunt that place now for almost 10 years...One day I will hunt there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ah the Gila and memories. I hope to draw again real soon! Killed my first bull with my bow there. And although nearly a 330” bull, I had encounters with bulls that made him look small. What a special place!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I did a backpacking trip trip (4 days, three nights) in the Gila about ten years (prior to the last big burn)- we were both very impressed with the area and we've backpacked a lot of nice places. We did see quite a few elk (and sign) on that trip as well. If I didn't live in Montana, I'd certainly consider that area to call home.

Oh- there was a Bugle issue (5 years ago????) that had several articles about the Gila in it- I'm sure that garnered at least some attention

Sickforit

FNG
I guided there, as an uncle of mine was anoutfitter there for about 15 years. 16b specifically. No doubt some awesome bulls in there. But, what I think makes it such a big deal, is that due to no preference points in NM, people feel like it’s attainable and realistic to hunt there. Not like some areas in Utah or AZ. Just my opinion, but a lot of people get in there, and that makes it great and more people relay their stories from the experience

chops24

WKR
cb7b1458d109f5a048d716f32853ec76.jpg

Bulls like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo

FNG
I am a midwesterner and first heard of the Gila on multiple Primos elk videos. Not sure how many other video productions brag it up but the bulls I saw in the videos made me want to hunt there someday.