Wyoming Elk...who's applying? Increased cost changing your plans?

Contemplating applying for 129, only have 2 points. Like the idea of the longer season dates, gives me the opportunity to run up there in September to hunt and scout for antelope in the same general area. Even if I don’t tag out in September, I’ll be back in early October hunting Pronghorn with a buddy and an either sex elk tag in my pocket. Haven’t totally sold myself on this, still trying to decide between this and a muzzleloader elk tag in Colorado.

Fitzwho:

Have you secured a place to hunt elk in Hunt Area 129? That is highly recommended as it is very difficult to access public land in Hunt Area 129 that has elk. If you have access to private land with an elk herd you should be able to kill a good bull.

Good luck!!

ClearCreek

I suspect more and more hunters dropping out as well due to price. Even in my home state of wa many of my friends here will be done with our own points game once they draw out. Including myself, 22 years of applying for quality elk is just stupid. Always, “maybe this is my lucky year”

Trial153

WKR
I am dropping out of moose and sheep in WY, At this point I throwing good money after bad. I am going book both in Canada. Cashing my elk points in this year, and mule deer in the next three years, lope also. Then after that I will only carry enough elk points to draw a Gen tag.

WE each have 2 points and will likely use the 2nd choice for a cow only hunt in a unit TBD. We are primarily bow hunters but will definitely use a rifle for elk if needed. The money isn't an issue so much for the cow elk prices. Considering the drive of over 30 hours each way and all other gear, it's just money anyway :rolleyes:.

sasquatch

WKR
Is it possible to apply as a Group with some ppl in the group in reg draw and some in the special?

I don't think so but was just wondering from some with more knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Is it possible to apply as a Group with some ppl in the group in reg draw and some in the special?

I don't think so but was just wondering from some with more knowledge?

No, cant do that.

ChrisS

WKR
Not applying this year, but I have some friends who are dumping a fair amount of deer points and going this year. I don't think they have any plans to hunt WY in the future.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I would expect with the steep cost of pref pts that a lot of hunters will consider drawing tags rather than just paying to build points. Some hunters that draw tags may call it quits once they draw particular species

I'm definitely in this boat. Hope to draw with 9 points. My gut says point creep will kick my ass...yet again.

efnm

WKR
Yep,first year applying for Wyoming and we don't have much of a chance but here we go for a general tag!

I am in. A little frustrated with some areas so trying to find a new general area. I always try to draw a tag but never seem to be able too. Maybe this will be the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
We were/are considering applying in WY this year despite the increase. I do think the prices are getting a bit out of reach though. 1300 for an elk tag to Non-residents is quite a bit. With the increases, the odd may get better for the special draw simply due to overall price, fewer may apply there. But that is just out of reach for me, so if we apply, it will be in general draw.

We have zero points, so our chances at Pref point draw aren't there. in some ways, I prefer the simplicity of states like NM. No bonus points, no pref points....just apply and wait for results. Of course, in NM, only 6 percent of tags go to Non Res., AND they take all your money during application time and send a refund if you aren't drawn..so that's the downside there. But that's an entirely different topic.

Follow up...APPLICATION SUBMITTED! I'm either getting a tag, or my first pref point for WY. Done!

mossyhorn

FNG
Having hunted the last three seasons in Wyoming. I think we’re gonna just bank preference points, move away from the special draw and go to Montana or Idaho. $1400 for special is getting ridiculous.

hunt1up

WKR
We're group applying in the special general. After the tag, stamp, and archery license...good lord that's a pricey tag! I'll still elk hunt WY since we've found a few spots we like, but I'm not going to mind burning our CO and AZ points on some good hunts in the near future.

Our party of 3 put in for the special this year. Should be 100% draw but you never know I guess.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Might burn extra points on the general. No time like the present to hunt I guess and it doesn't look promising with point creep to stay in the game where I'm at.