Wyoming Elk...who's applying? Increased cost changing your plans?

trail@goHunt

Lil-Rokslider
With Wyoming upping the cost of both the regular and special permits, who's applying, where, and is the change impacting how you apply?

ORHunter

WKR
I don't think it's going to affect the odds much especially in a good economy. I'm ready to burn my points and start applying for the general in the years to come though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
Not to happy about the increase but I'll probably still put in for mulies. May build a couple elk points then hunt but it won't change to much for me

OP
T

trail@goHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Being a Wyoming Resident must be nice...pocket full of tags :). Do you think that the $1,335 cost to apply in the Special draw will improve those odds and hurt the regular draw?

blackdawg

WKR
It’s making me think about it, especially with the overcrowding I have experienced with residents in the non-wilderness general areas,,, my two buddies are OUT with the price increase, going back to Colorado. They did the math and it looks like a tag for general to hunt Archery will be about $898 dollars now , after increases across the board, factoring in all costs including draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krojemann

WKR
It’s making me think about it, especially with the overcrowding I have experienced with residents in the non-wilderness general areas,,, my two buddies are OUT with the price increase, going back to Colorado. They did the math and it looks like a tag for general to hunt Archery will be about $898 dollars now , after increases across the board, factoring in all costs including draws.

What am I missing? I was thinking closer to $779 after a $692 tag, $15 application fee, and $72 archery permit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
2 points to draw , costs each year and we may should have added an extra year of application fees, we based this on last years drawing odds. Lots of guys aren’t factoring in the annual costs to apply each year. The application cost and preference point fees raise the price substantially as long as the demand exists for tags. If you have preference points from past apps, lower price a bit, we burned ours last year.

Last edited:

Sturgeon

WKR
I'm still applying this year. This should be my first year drawing an elk tag here. Using my 2.5 ppts for a general tag. At least I was able to get the 2018 archery stamp at 2017 prices.

jmez

WKR
My group is applying. We have points but not sure where exactly we want to use them. Price is not deterring us. Going to first choice 45, fully intending not to get it, and then applying in the special draw for type 4 (cow) tags in the unit we think we want to burn our points in second choice. Increased fees should help us. No one wants to pay that much for a cow tag but worth it to us. Don't have to burn any points, get to hunt elk in the mountains, see first hand if the unit will be worth our points next year.

I have all the gear. $1300 for a tag then a couple hundred more for gas is still a pretty cheap out of state hunt. Where else could you go on a 10-14 day vacation, do what you love to do for $1500?

sasquatch

WKR
My group is applying. We have points but not sure where exactly we want to use them. Price is not deterring us. Going to first choice 45, fully intending not to get it, and then applying in the special draw for type 4 (cow) tags in the unit we think we want to burn our points in second choice. Increased fees should help us. No one wants to pay that much for a cow tag but worth it to us. Don't have to burn any points, get to hunt elk in the mountains, see first hand if the unit will be worth our points next year.

I have all the gear. $1300 for a tag then a couple hundred more for gas is still a pretty cheap out of state hunt. Where else could you go on a 10-14 day vacation, do what you love to do for $1500?

Kinda the same mindset, last year with a special draw tag, gas, food, AND, having my elk processed cost me 1900 total. All in each persons priorities and what they want out of them.

OP
T

trail@goHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, in thinking about my own strategy I was leaning more toward putting money into a OTC elk tag in either CO or ID and swinging for the fences in the regular draw for a great unit that has at least one random tag. For me, I'm having a hard time feeling like a general WY tag is worth the $1200 plus.

I plan to apply for an area that will likely take me 7 or 8 years to draw, then whenever I draw, I'll probably not apply any more. Just getting too costly and I can still do a couple hunts in my home state of CO so I'll probably just be satisfied with that.

Fitzwho

WKR
Contemplating applying for 129, only have 2 points. Like the idea of the longer season dates, gives me the opportunity to run up there in September to hunt and scout for antelope in the same general area. Even if I don’t tag out in September, I’ll be back in early October hunting Pronghorn with a buddy and an either sex elk tag in my pocket. Haven’t totally sold myself on this, still trying to decide between this and a muzzleloader elk tag in Colorado.

LostArra

WKR

That's interesting. I was not aware you could be in regular draw on first choice and special draw on second choice.

Of course, maybe I just misinterpreted your plan and you are in special on first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR

Why not just put in for the RP cow tag for the unit you want to scout? They are half price - Hence Reduced Price

jmez

WKR
We are putting in for the special draw first choice in 45 so we can put in for special draw second choice. You can't be in the regular draw in on choice and the special in another, that is correct.

The RP cow tags had more applicants than the allotment last year as first choice. May or may not get a tag. They also don't allow bowhunting with the RP cow tags in the unit. We are bowhunters. Based on last years numbers we should have no issue getting the antlerless tag through the special draw.