GMU 77 or 78 CO

I am planning on hunting the Weminuche Wilderness during the 1st season in either GMU 77 or 78. I decided on these Units and area due to the rugged terrain and overall experience. Having never ventured into the wilderness area I am seeking advise/tips/tricks to battling the wilderness and finding some elk. Also, I was told to pick up a bear tag for this area as well..would that be something to look into?

swampokie

WKR
Hunted the weminuche last sept. Don't think its going to be easy to get away from people. There will be a drop camp within striking distance of each herd. Seemed like the farther we went in the more people we saw sitting on horses. It blew my mind the number of people that I ran into. I think just a couple miles in was better than 5 or 6 miles in but still lota pressure. That being said there is a good number of elk and bears in the weminuche they r just highly sought after. I was hunting the rainbow trail in unit 78 specifically. I really think there are easier places to hunt with just as many elk. Oh yeah and the terrain is nothing short of extreme where the elk live in the weminuche. Good luck!!!!

xziang

WKR
I'm thinking of an archery hunt and I wouldn't waste my money on a bear tag but you might be going with rifle so could be different.

Every time I see someone post or ask questions about a specific unit I'm always glad the unit I hunt doesn't come up. LOL Then again maybe I should look at 77 and 78 now since I haven't filled a tag. ((reason why might be wise to avoid posting units))

OP
S
Thanks for the info! Ya i've never been to afraid to post units only because my forum post will never directly affect the hunting statistics of thousands of hunters in thousands of acres of wilderness, no matter what state. However, with that being said I always respect never asking nor giving specifics of where i will be hunting. There will always be plenty of elk to go around no matter the hunting pressure but definitely understand your point. I am going the first rifle season. I have PP's to burn on a unit and always wanted to hunt SW CO so i figured i'd give it a shot. I doubt I'll buy a bear tag though..

chasewild

WKR
Thanks for the info! Ya i've never been to afraid to post units only because my forum post will never directly affect the hunting statistics of thousands of hunters in thousands of acres of wilderness, no matter what state. However, with that being said I always respect never asking nor giving specifics of where i will be hunting. There will always be plenty of elk to go around no matter the hunting pressure but definitely understand your point...

Snaggle -- welcome to Rokslide. I see this is your second post ever.

Have you typed in "GMU 78" in google? Do you think all of the traffic through those posts has influenced the "hunting statistics"?