Non Res Idaho Unit 36B Elk & Deer

Sgorman13

FNG
Non Res Idaho Unit 36 Elk & Deer Rifle

Hey guys, looking to travel out of state for the first time and stumbled across Idaho unit 36B for both Elk and Mule Deer. I am from Oregon so I am looking at hunting both elk and deer at the same time. Using goHunt Insider I came across 36B for the fact that the success rate for elk (38%) and deer (34%) are extremely well. The fact that I can hunt both and that these are OTC tags. I am looking to backpack in far away from roads and put on many miles and spend a lot of time glassing. I’m young, in shape and willing to hike steep terrain if need be. Looking for input from anyone who has hunted this unit recently in the last year or 2 (not “10 years ago when hunting used to be great before the wolves destroyed everything” like everyone says). With a busy hunting schedule here in Oregon I won’t be able to scout physically but will be contacting the local biologists and spending a lot of time on OnX Maps. I’m not opposed to hunting other units as long as I can hunt both elk and deer and buy the tags OTC. Im not looking for anyone’s secret spots just some input on the unit, possibly areas that would be better than others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

BullElk

FNG
here's my two pieces of advice:
1. don't use the butcher in challis!!!(you can pm me on this if need be)
2. snow chains!
good luck and theres some two year old burns in that area!!

Fullfan

WKR
Might be a bit far but do not use Petes in Salmon either for a butcher. Lil sob screwed us out of two cow elk.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
We used a butcher in Challis, and had no problems. Of course it was only a small mulie, but he did an overnight job on it and we had no complaints.

GregB

WKR
Like Bull Elk said snow chains, shovel and recovery gear are a must. There was already a couple inches on the ground in mid-late September and when I took my son up in mid October there was a lot more. Some of the roads in the area are closed starting 1 OCT which is nice even though not everyone follows the law. There was also one road completely washed out, don't know if it will be fixed by next year. Use your OnX to keep from getting sideways on private land. There were a ton of people in the unit this year but they were all road hunting, once you start walking chances are you won't see many people. Anywhere you can get away from the roads you should be ok. If you wanted to hunt both Elk and Deer the only other unit for that zone is 21.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
You can only hunt 1 zone or zone based on whatever tag you get. Some of the zones have an A or B, but they are treated as their own separate area. Find a Hunt | Idaho Hunt Planner Take a look at that and see if that helps you out some.

OP
S

Sgorman13

FNG
Like Bull Elk said snow chains, shovel and recovery gear are a must. There was already a couple inches on the ground in mid-late September and when I took my son up in mid October there was a lot more. Some of the roads in the area are closed starting 1 OCT which is nice even though not everyone follows the law. There was also one road completely washed out, don't know if it will be fixed by next year. Use your OnX to keep from getting sideways on private land. There were a ton of people in the unit this year but they were all road hunting, once you start walking chances are you won't see many people. Anywhere you can get away from the roads you should be ok. If you wanted to hunt both Elk and Deer the only other unit for that zone is 21.

I’m not necessarily looking at only the Salmon Zone that’s just one I was looking at that had decent success rates. My buddy and I are open to anywhere in Idaho, obviously the most populated area for elk and deer to hunt both and enough area for us to backpack and try to get away from other hunters lol. In 36B is there a certain elevation that we should try to be above. Again we’ve never hunted mule deer so not really familiar with their habits. Thank you!

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to this area for hunting, even though I've lived here for almost 10 years now, and it is a lot to take in. Back in the people's republic of Illinois, they do it by county and it's pretty easy to figure out for Deer. But out here, it's a different ball of wax.

OP
S

Sgorman13

FNG
Out of my misunderstanding when looking at hunt statistics I originally was planning on hunting unit 36 with rifle which is why I titled this 36B so REALLY I’m looking for any information on unit 36 for deer and elk...my bad everyone!

BullElk

FNG
Out of my misunderstanding when looking at hunt statistics I originally was planning on hunting unit 36 with rifle which is why I titled this 36B so REALLY I’m looking for any information on unit 36 for deer and elk...my bad everyone!

those tags aren't the easiest to come by. last year they had a completely separate day they sold those tags online and in person for NR and then residents. this year they haven't even decided how theyre going to sell them. if I were a betting man id say its going controlled and youll have to apply in the draw to get one of those tags.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 36/36B last year for deer. First year there, the road hunters are bad. But get away from the roads an there are animals around. Saw a couple decent bulls so I think I’ll be headed back for elk...if I can get lucky enough to grab a non resi tag. It’s some steep, Big country but fun to hunt. Lots of area to camp as well

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I hunted 36a/36b in 2017 for deer. Didn’t see a single buck in 7 days. The winter kill was really bad and it showed. I did see a lot of elk. 36b is full of road hunters. I’d personally wait a couple years to hunt deer in the area so it has a chance to recover from the 2016/2017 winter.

Haneydew

FNG
I'm planning the same exact hunt, but in the selway zone, particularly unit 17 , south end. Does anyone know how bad the winter kill was last year in this area?

From my experience in the area and looking at snowpack snotel reports and the fish and game reports on winterkill, North of the Salmon River didn't have as bad of winter kill problems as South, South-Central Idaho. The South end of unit 17 would probably put you close to the border of where it was better or worse. From what I've gathered, the worst winter kill was on the 22, 33, and East Idaho winter range. I'd hunt anywhere out of those areas without a second thought.

With the variation depending on the specific area of where you hunt, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If that's where you want to hunt, go hunt. Anywhere further North is whitetail country anyway.

Haneydew

FNG
Thanks for that info. We will primarily be looking for elk, but I've never killed a muley, so if I get an opportunity at a good one I'm going to take it. Deer tag is also good for wolf, bear and mountain lion. So the opportunities are many on this hunt.... One reason I will be going straight thru other states to hunt this area. I'm still looking for information on the road conditions in mid September on the Magruder. And if the river around the Raven Creek area is crossable with just waders. I have an area in mind that I feel like would put us all alone by crossing and getting of the trails.

Good idea to cross a creek to get away. Call the forest service to learn about the roads. Be prepared for possible snow. It's rare that time of year but can get hairy real fast.

Deer and elk densities are low in the wilderness. Cover plenty of ground with your legs and glass.