New Mexico Elk Units

NYSKIER

WKR
Trying to get my application strategy all set before it gets really busy at work and I'm not able to do as much research. I'm looking to draw in New Mexico and was checking out Unit 2 (a,b,c). I'm looking to hunt public land and was thinking about applying for both early an late archery. I searched the around and was only really able to find mule deer information on this unit. Anyone have any information on this unit (ex Is it worth applying for or should I look somewhere else is really all I want to know). Just looking for an area with somewhat decent elk numbers I'd like to take anything. Please PM me if you have any help regarding this area or any other spots to look at I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance happy researching!

Last edited:
OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Pretty hard state to draw as it's a pure lottery

I know that it is a difficult state I was looking at areas with better draw odds not just for this year but to apply for year after year because I'd rather have somewhat of chase to go and go more often than not

cuttdog

FNG
Wouldn't hunt unit 50 for archery. Very flat and wide open. Almost zero elk in this unit during a warm September. Try unit 48 if you want decent draw odds for a unit where you might have a chance at seeing elk. Still a tough challenge however.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Wouldn't hunt unit 50 for archery. Very flat and wide open. Almost zero elk in this unit during a warm September. Try unit 48 if you want decent draw odds for a unit where you might have a chance at seeing elk. Still a tough challenge however.

Cuttdog any general info on 48 for a non-resident? Good draw odds but only two major chunks of public with 30% overall according to gohunt. I also saw you can only camp in one spot. Are there decent elk numbers on public in there or do they get driven to the ranches immediately? I've heard that area has some poaching problems from some quick reading. Please PM me if you have more info you're willing to share regarding my limited research

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
You can camp on state land with permission from the person who his leasing the land. Another hurdle, but you could try.
Recreational Access

Thanks archer wapiti I saw that but it makes me a little unsettled to have to get access to camp of state land that is being leased out. I'd rather just play it safe an camp on BLM or the one campsite I saw