Cow Elk Guide Recommendations

Buddy and I want to go this coming season, feel like I am getting a late jump on it but I can't wait another year.

We are from the South east so anywhere will be a drive/flight. Would like to be in Colorado, WY, or UT, but again, we can go wherever.

Seems like guides are dime a dozen and the reviews can make you leery. Anyone have any first hand experience? Can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks

OP
M
Welp, just to keep this roaring thread up to date, I think we have just about talked ourselves into doing a DIY cow hunt. Luckily I have most of the equipment for this hunt but my buddy will need to pick up some things.

Let the research begin/continue!

NDGuy

WKR
One thing a member shared with me is you can do a "trespass fee" to get onto private land that holds cows consistently. Prices vary but it would be a lot cheaper than a guided cow hunt.

cnelk

WKR
If you want to hunt cows with a rifle in. Colorado you’ll have to draw a tag.

Not necessarily - there are a lot of units that undersubscribed - you can just go buy a cow tag that is less than an E/S license
Its called a B List tag - where available

I say go DIY like you said but if you decide on guided go to a UT CWMU. I'd suggest Deseret Land and Livestock.
You can even draw tags through the normal draw if you get a couple years of points. The draw is after most states buck and bull draws as well.

wytx

WKR
Wyoming cow/calf tags are reduced price tags and a random draw, type 6,7, or 8 tags.
Look for areas with good access and you don't need a guide. You can even get 2 cow/calf tags in Wyoming. Some private land trespass fee cow hunts can be had, G&F does have some info online for private access. Some areas will have HMAs and walk in areas that are open to elk hunting later in the season when they move to winter range. Some areas will open in Aug. for cow elk hunting. Cow seasons are usually very long.
Most guided private land cow hunts will run you close to or over $1,000.

I say go DIY like you said but if you decide on guided go to a UT CWMU. I'd suggest Deseret Land and Livestock.
You can even draw tags through the normal draw if you get a couple years of points. The draw is after most states buck and bull draws as well.

OP
M
Looking at a few units in CO right now with cow tags in the 2nd and 3rd rifle season. Not opposed to applying for the tag if it comes down to it. Also, looking at the opportunity for an either sex tag where applicable.

cnelk

WKR
If Colorado is a possibility, look for 1st season leftover cow tags - 2nd & 3rd seasons are a complete zoo

Welp, just to keep this roaring thread up to date, I think we have just about talked ourselves into doing a DIY cow hunt. Luckily I have most of the equipment for this hunt but my buddy will need to pick up some things.

Let the research begin/continue!

Have you decided a state? Weapon? Public land only or is paying for a trespass fee an option?

OP
M
Have you decided a state? Weapon? Public land only or is paying for a trespass fee an option?

Have not picked a state- First runners are Colorado and now Wyoming. Weapon is rifle, for sure. And I am still not opposed to a trespass fee if it improves my chances.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not necessarily - there are a lot of units that undersubscribed - you can just go buy a cow tag that is less than an E/S license
Its called a B List tag - where available

The OTC B list cow tags are only for archery. All the rifle either sex or cow tags (with the exception of the plains) start in the draw and the leftovers go first come first served.

OP
M
Currently looking at Wyoming options through game and fish, onxmaps, and gohunt insider.

I feel like I'm on the set of the matrix trying to decode all the 1's and 0's flying down the screen. MAKE IT STOP!!!

cnelk

WKR
The OTC B list cow tags are only for archery. All the rifle either sex or cow tags (with the exception of the plains) start in the draw and the leftovers go first come first served.

Pods8
You may want to do a bit more research regarding B List cow tags.
If you see the attached image, it shows B list cow tags for multiple rifle seasons (in this instance for GMU 27)

I also went thru the Colorado 2017 leftover elk list [rilfe only] - after the first draw - and there were over 18,700 cow tags available in many, many units.
Both A list and B list, mostly B list

Attachments

• 5BAC8337-DB21-4483-B136-5FBE0DD350DC.jpg
    5BAC8337-DB21-4483-B136-5FBE0DD350DC.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 29

Gorp2007

WKR
This year I was able to apply for (and get) a Colorado 4th season bull elk tag for Unit 24 and then turn around and get a leftover cow tag for the same season. If you look at the draw statistics, they'll even highlight units and tags that historically have leftovers so that you can plan for a unit where you'll have a high probability of getting a cow tag.

Looking at a few units in CO right now with cow tags in the 2nd and 3rd rifle season. Not opposed to applying for the tag if it comes down to it. Also, looking at the opportunity for an either sex tag where applicable.

Was going to say the exact same thing, try for a first season tag in Colorado

kcm2

WKR
if you want a cow, and are willing to pay a trespass fee, you should not have much trouble. Find some good private land, and pay the fee. You're likely to find cow elk on a good ranch.