Preference Points

Rogue541

WKR
Which states allow a hunter to purchase points without purchasing a hunting license? Kind of a dumb question I know. Looking at a 5 year plan for hunting opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Wyoming (until 10/31) and Montana (until 9/30).

I believe everywhere else you still have to purchase the annual hunting license to apply for even a bonus point.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Awesome, that’s what I was mostly looking for. Thanks!

I’m going to branch out in addition to Oregon soon and plan to jump over and hunt Idaho for OTC archery for now. I’d love to draw a MT or WY tag down the road though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I think Colorado basically does starting this year, you know longer have to pay the entire tag price up front like you used too and now you just pay a processing fee up front and put in for PP only, works out too buying a PP.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Colorado basically does starting this year, you know longer have to pay the entire tag price up front like you used too and now you just pay a processing fee up front and put in for PP only, works out too buying a PP.
You have to pay a penalty or have had a license the prior year in Colorado

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Loco4dux

WKR

That is going to be really nice!

Little off topic. But if you have some PP for CO and are a NR; then become a resident in say 6 years......do those points roll over and you keep them as Resident points; or what?

Dad is currently building PP, but he is a NR. His plan is to retire out here in 6/7 years. Could be a moot point cause I think we are going to burn the points after we get 5/6; but still curious as to how that would work.

bmart2622

WKR
Just FYI, MT uses bonus points not preference points but I belive as anout of stater you can purchase just the bonus points.

Just FYI, MT uses bonus points not preference points but I belive as anout of stater you can purchase just the bonus points.

They actually have both bonus and preference points for non-residents. Preference points are for drawing general tags and bonus points are for limited entry tags. Last year I paid $50 for a preference point and $25 for a bonus point. Only one preference point guarantees a general tag so no need to have more than one preference point at a time.

jm1607

WKR
MT has alot of additional fees so be ready.. First state I ever stopped applying to..

CO you need a last years license but you can just get a fishing license or small game license so it doesn't cost much, like $50 or so..

Most states your NR points convert to R points if you move there after 1 year..

WA you don't need a license but it's expensive and can only apply for sheep/moose/goat, not elk..

UT you need a license but it's only $65 and you only have to buy it every other year.. So basically $32.50 per year.. Not really a 5 year plan though.. More like a 15

MT has alot of additional fees so be ready.. First state I ever stopped applying to..

CO you need a last years license but you can just get a fishing license or small game license so it doesn't cost much, like $50 or so.....

UT you need a license but it's only $65 and you only have to buy it every other year.. So basically $32.50 per year.. Not really a 5 year plan though.. More like a 15

MT is expensive to actually apply for a limited entry tag. If you’re just trying to build bonus points it’s currently very cheap.

In CO it’s $56 for the annual small game or fishing license if you didn’t have one the previous year, but don’t forget you have to buy a $10 habitat stamp and then pay $3 per application. So your first year just for an elk point would be about $70.

And for Utah you’ll need to pay a $10 point fee each year on top of the license. So it would be $42.50 per year for an elk point if you did it smartly.

Last edited:
Little off topic. But if you have some PP for CO and are a NR; then become a resident in say 6 years......do those points roll over and you keep them as Resident points; or what?

Dad is currently building PP, but he is a NR. His plan is to retire out here in 6/7 years. Could be a moot point cause I think we are going to burn the points after we get 5/6; but still curious as to how that would work.

Yes the points become resident points after you establish residency as determined by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, which is after six months of living in the state. I’ve always been told that they will base your residency off of your drivers license if there’s ever a question about it. So as soon as you move into the state and pick up a Colorado drivers license, the date that’s 6 months after that issue date is when you’re considered a resident for hunting and fishing purposes.

bmart2622

WKR
They actually have both bonus and preference points for non-residents. Preference points are for drawing general tags and bonus points are for limited entry tags. Last year I paid $50 for a preference point and $25 for a bonus point. Only one preference point guarantees a general tag so no need to have more than one preference point at a time.
I was referring to LE areas, like the Breaks or Elkhorns