Another Season

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outside of someone who only hunts tower stands or groundblinds, I fail to see where this has much application for whitetail hunters. To paint with a broad brush, public land hunters are typically looking for light compact minimalist gear whereas the private land guy may be apt to carry more stuff. The difference is the private ground hunter is more times than not driving to within close walking distance where "packing in" is a non-issue. The public land hunter though may be covering some distance and needs functionality for gear, stand and packing game out. If the market target here is the private land guy to carry his stuff a few hundred yards in a really nice pack, this is a homerun.

To my knowledge, nobody has really built a true whitetail system for the public land guy. Maybe one of these days before I am too dang old to climb trees.

I guess I see your POV totally opposite. When it comes to public land Whitetails, you are talking my game. It's what I do. There isn't a pack out there that fits my needs very well. I need something to carry a LW, sticks, antlers, all my extra clothes, kill kit, and all of the shit that goes along with whitetail hunting public land. I haven't had the chance to use this yet, but from what I see it should be the best option that I have seen yet. I'm sure willing to give it a try, because I know it will be far and away more comfortable loaded down then any other pack available.

Trial153

WKR
I have a totally differnt take on what i want in a whitetail pack.

I want a pack that is easy to hang and access when i am in a tree. For me right now the two that fit that bill best are the MR treehouse and Sitka tool bucket. I had both and kept the MR.

If i am packing in a stand and sticks i am using straps i have attached to the stand, the sticks get attached as well and then my pack is lashed onto it. The last thing i want to be doing at o dark 30 before setting up a stand is having to untangle and detach it from a pack frame. If i need to pack a buck out I go get a load hauler from the truck. Its not a wasted trip as i cant pack my bow, stand and sticks as well as meat. .

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I guess I see your POV totally opposite. When it comes to public land Whitetails, you are talking my game. It's what I do. There isn't a pack out there that fits my needs very well. I need something to carry a LW, sticks, antlers, all my extra clothes, kill kit, and all of the shit that goes along with whitetail hunting public land. I haven't had the chance to use this yet, but from what I see it should be the best option that I have seen yet. I'm sure willing to give it a try, because I know it will be far and away more comfortable loaded down then any other pack available.

I will admit, I did not take into consideration the clothing variance between north and south. We just dont need as much clothing normally down here as you certainly would. No doubt it will be well built, that was not my point and tried to make that clear. As you can tell I certainly agree on what's out there not working all that great. LOL. Maybe we need a southern system and northern system.

Trial153

WKR
That kifaru looks interesting for sure, i would like to see on a platform like the 14r though. I cant see a whitetail bag needed on a load hauler

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
That kifaru looks interesting for sure, i would like to see on a platform like the 14r though. I cant see a whitetail bag needed on a load hauler

Kind of....but then think about throwing a Sit and Climb, or Alpha Hang-On and sticks on the pack, plus all the normal gear. Now you're talking 40ish pounds. That much weight "sloshing" around in a "normal" pack gets to be a PIA.

I haven't had a chance to use this pack yet, so just looking forward to trying it out and putting through the paces.....

Btaylor

WKR
I’m curious what you would want in a Public Land WT pack that Kifaru, Exo, SG, MR, or SO doesn’t offer? What is so special about whitetail hunting that one of their bags/frames doesn’t cover?

Oh I can make stuff work but who wants to spend the money for a high end pack then have to jerry rig it to work the way you need it too. I guess the easiest way to describe what I would like is a modular system with a frame that can be attached to the stand. My system now allows me to make one trip up a tree with sticks and a hang on stand using only one rope which is my life line. I have tried lots of different setups in my years of bowhunting whitetails and most require more than one trip up the tree which sucks. I just think there is a system that could be built that would work better than hodge podging crap together the way most whitetail guys do now. Maybe I am way off base and there are enough guys that hunt the way I and most of the guys I know do to justify the design and production effort and cost. Doesnt mean a guy cant want a slice of cake and his own fork. LOL

Kind of....but then think about throwing a Sit and Climb, or Alpha Hang-On and sticks on the pack, plus all the normal gear. Now you're talking 40ish pounds. That much weight "sloshing" around in a "normal" pack gets to be a PIA.

I haven't had a chance to use this pack yet, so just looking forward to trying it out and putting through the paces.....

Agreed. I carried my LW Alpha and sticks plus clothing/bag last season using straps attached to the platform and thought it was ok, but having since bought a duplex/argali and carried an equivalent amount of weight with it, I now see how much the LW straps suck. A waist belt would definitely help, but still sucks. Going to use the duplex/argali most likely until I have a chance to sew myself some sort of cargo panel type contraption better suited to what I'm doing.

Looks like a home run to me. Plenty of organization that is easy to get too when in a tree stand. I want to see the price point. I’m thinking this might just replace the 22 mag for the title of best all around day pack for all hunting. I really like the looks of it.

As far as a private land bag, I’m sure it’ll do that forever if that’s your thing. For big woods hunting where packing out the animal is the norm, it’ll do that as well. Plus carry a stand. Anybody that’s ever tried to carry a stand and sticks or a climbing stand plus their gear on a frame platform knows how big a pain in the butt this is. I think they nailed it from the looks of it. Anxious to see Aron’s video on it

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most of what I’ve read. To me this is a home run. Is it something for everyone, maybe not! I think that overall with the carrying capacity and all the storage this pack offers that most people that purchase it will love it. I think without actually holding it in my hand that it will be an awesome daypack also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back to hunt. I’m going a little out of order, but it was a fun part of the trip. We had 20 minutes to fish-for supper on arrival night.
689c2b3d00be7ed450e53ae087729756.jpg

dotman

WKR
Oh I can make stuff work but who wants to spend the money for a high end pack then have to jerry rig it to work the way you need it too. I guess the easiest way to describe what I would like is a modular system with a frame that can be attached to the stand. My system now allows me to make one trip up a tree with sticks and a hang on stand using only one rope which is my life line. I have tried lots of different setups in my years of bowhunting whitetails and most require more than one trip up the tree which sucks. I just think there is a system that could be built that would work better than hodge podging crap together the way most whitetail guys do now. Maybe I am way off base and there are enough guys that hunt the way I and most of the guys I know do to justify the design and production effort and cost. Doesnt mean a guy cant want a slice of cake and his own fork. LOL

Why can’t you use a lash strap to attach a pack to the tree stand? Easy and simple.

Btaylor

WKR
Why can’t you use a lash strap to attach a pack to the tree stand? Easy and simple.

What I am referring to is more than just strapping a bag on a stand. You are correct that is no biggie to do. I am talking about an attachment system to connect the pack frame to the stand so you climb and hang the stand with the frame attached. One of the big problems is in a perfect world it would be a super light frame like an SO and the rest of the system more modular like a lot of the kifaru stuff.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, finally back to finish the bear hunt up, and catch up on the last months doing's here, it's been crazy.