Staff member
Passed 2 Jakes at 5 yards so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a good time but no turkey’s were harmed in the making of the weekend.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started the Triax build.

7d118909ce51879151d370c5fdfbbb26.jpg

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
*****Early pre-orders on the Ultralight frame and Muskeg bags should start shipping late next week!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got in the woods. Got 2 birds to gobble about 200 yards.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
85f7e08497d5e7a0f1c3e743f8e921c0.jpg

The Tom would not commit. He did pass up five Jake’s at 10 yards. I will post some video the next few days. Going to go after them tomorrow morning.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of gobbles this morning 250-300 in the first 75 minutes. Solid frozen snow made approach impossible. Birds still firing when we had to bail out at 6:40 to get Hunter to school. Will head back out in a few hours if time permits.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
dc5f3403d540c9880cdeea02af834cd7.jpg

Weird weekend in the turkey woods. Passed some Jakes, but no Tom yet. Did see a bear, and tracks of two others. Nice to see the snow melting and the deer really active.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone this is my first post. I’m headed out to Idaho in early September this year for my first backcountry Elk hunt. I’m looking for some input on trekking poles, sleeping pad, head lamps. I’m sure I will have other questions as we go. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey everyone this is my first post. I’m headed out to Idaho in early September this year for my first backcountry Elk hunt. I’m looking for some input on trekking poles, sleeping pad, head lamps. I’m sure I will have other questions as we go. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Good luck chad. You should start a new thread in the Elk Forum.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member

Gear, the never ending dilemma :) That said I'm a gear whore so it's kind of right up my alley!

Trekking poles - I run a set of aluminium Black Diamond with the Flip Locks. They are going on 10 years old, but I love them.......hmmm, that is likely my oldest piece of gear......thanks Chad, I guess I see some $$ being spent lol. Hunter is running a newer set of Black Diamond's as well. Options to consider. Weight, aluminium or carbon. Grips, Cork or foam. Locking mechanism, twist or flip/flick/latch style. Tip, solid or shock absorption.

We run aluminium, cork and foam, flick lock, solid tips.

For Airpads we use Big Agnes and Therm-a-rest. Long and Wide on all of them. 2.5" off the ground. Lots of options in this area.

Headlamps have been Petzl for us. I still use my original one from my first hunt back in 2009. However I just noticed it is cracked. I'll buy a new one and promote the backup. I always have 2 headlamps on my person. One in a pocket and the spare in the pack. Always. Again lots of options here and I'll post up my research on what I pick up for a new one.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll get caught up here and the other threads next week.

If you are attending Dallas NRA stop in and say hi. I'll be in Sitka booth.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Gear, the never ending dilemma :) That said I'm a gear whore so it's kind of right up my alley!

Trekking poles - I run a set of aluminium Black Diamond with the Flip Locks. They are going on 10 years old, but I love them.......hmmm, that is likely my oldest piece of gear......thanks Chad, I guess I see some $$ being spent lol. Hunter is running a newer set of Black Diamond's as well. Options to consider. Weight, aluminium or carbon. Grips, Cork or foam. Locking mechanism, twist or flip/flick/latch style. Tip, solid or shock absorption.

We run aluminium, cork and foam, flick lock, solid tips.

For Airpads we use Big Agnes and Therm-a-rest. Long and Wide on all of them. 2.5" off the ground. Lots of options in this area.

Headlamps have been Petzl for us. I still use my original one from my first hunt back in 2009. However I just noticed it is cracked. I'll buy a new one and promote the backup. I always have 2 headlamps on my person. One in a pocket and the spare in the pack. Always. Again lots of options here and I'll post up my research on what I pick up for a new one.

Thanks Les. I was looking at Leki poles. Last weekend at REI I checked out Sea to Summit sleeping pads. They have some with good R value.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
At NRA Dallas. Anyone want to see anything?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
9aa984eabbab16fe4574e25e3778fe01.jpg

Dallas was awesome. Apparently they let anyone in that place

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
812e96d59c14b09a88dc84db9ed84476.jpg

Finally trying to get caught up. Time to check this out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are in the woods listening to turkeys gobble.