Wyoming type 9 with 10 points

ridgefire

WKR
My brother has 10 points as a non resident and trying to help him find a unit to apply for. We have been looking at units in the Bighorns like unit 40 but also unit 54. Kinda leaning towards 54 but curious if we should be looking at any others. We are both experienced elk hunters and would like to have a hunt where we are seeing lots of elk and a chance at seeing a big one. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Whip

WKR
I can't help with any info on those particular units. I'm accumulating points myself, but I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to type 9 tags. In units that don't have type 9 tags available you can still bowhunt - just need to purchase an archery license. In a type 9 unit you know for sure every person that draws will be in the field with you. In a regular unit the majority of people that draw are probably rifle hunters. Certainly there will be some that hunt both seasons, but you might find less pressure overall.
I don't have any units to suggest because I haven't started that process myself, simply to consider widening your search.

Djacker

WKR
He most likely won't draw 54 with 10. 21% of people with 11 points drew type 9 last year. According to wy game and fish website.

Trial153

WKR
You might draw unit 54 in the special draw with 10 points. Also look at 53 and 39

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a type 1 in 45. It’s a good tag for 320-340 bulls with the chance for bigger.

FURMAN

WKR
I would not focus only on type 9 tags. Every unit that I am aware of will allow you to grab an archery permit and hunt 2-4 weeks prior to regular season opening. Other than that I will be of no help because I would not spend 10 points on a type 9. When I burn my points I will take advantage of the archery permit and come back with a rifle if I don't kill.

If I had 10 points I would skip over the type 9 tag. Type 9’s are good tags but you are limited to the archery tackle. I would put in for one of the most coveted tags and go with my bow with the intent to get one down. If I didn’t get one with my bow I would go back with my rifle.

jmez

WKR
I would not focus only on type 9 tags. Every unit that I am aware of will allow you to grab an archery permit and hunt 2-4 weeks prior to regular season opening. Other than that I will be of no help because I would not spend 10 points on a type 9. When I burn my points I will take advantage of the archery permit and come back with a rifle if I don't kill.

Not all units allow you to hunt archery on a type 1 tag.

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Bringing this back up. I never did put in last year for Wyoming but probably will this year. The reason I am looking at a type 9 tag is I will only have 10 days or so to hunt and prefer archery equipment. Any other suggestions on any other units I may be overlooking? Any help is appreciated.

Thomas11

WKR
Bringing this back up. I never did put in last year for Wyoming but probably will this year. The reason I am looking at a type 9 tag is I will only have 10 days or so to hunt and prefer archery equipment. Any other suggestions on any other units I may be overlooking? Any help is appreciated.
I think what their saying is you can still draw a type 1 tag and archery hunt. I don’t think for the most part the type 9 tags offer any real draw advantages and honestly you will prolly have less competition in units that don’t have type 9’s.

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Thanks for the response 👍I have not looked into the type 1 tags but maybe it is worthwhile to look at them. Wyomings regs are quite a bit tougher for me to figure out compared to Washington and Idaho.

jmez

WKR
Seasons may be different on a type 1 vs type 9 tag. There are some areas where type 1 license only allows archery hunting for the second half of Sept, where on a type 9 tag you get the whole month. Unit 45 is one of them. Just another thing to check in WY.